Close

Default Help with Upholstery 1984 GT-350

I have a 1984 1/2 GT-350 where my front seat, mainly drivers, has seen some where. Structurally the seat and foam is fine, but the Canyon Red cloth is worn. I cannot find a kit with the two tone cloth from aftermarket manufacturers. I am willing to go with a solid Canyon Red cover but am looking for recommendation, pics, war stories and pricing. I totally restored my 1966 mustang and 1969 mustang with TMI sport foam and went with Pony interior in my 66. I must say the project was fun and even the wife got involved. Now getting my 84 back to its former glory proves more difficult. I can't seem to find even a simple slip cover with the Halo rest provision. Why is there not an after market company that makes cool covers with color choices, or even a reproduction cover to hog ring into place for my car. I found material sold by the yard years ago and called interior shops and found if it isn't a boat seat or a kit they won't touch it. Any help would be appreciated. I just got my carpet installed and fixed all seat studs but don't want to put seats in until they look better. I had to make some custom brackets as the seats broke from the years of storage I guess, LOL. Second owner, 40,000 miles has never seen rain or snow.

Name:  IMG_6904.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  54.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6905.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6895.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  86.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6896.JPG
Views: 166
Size:  85.7 KB

Name:  56841538088__9ECBE475-0CF0-4BD6-B602-2123DAA178D7.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  148.7 KB
    Last edited by michaeloberg1980; 01-19-2019 at 09:37 AM.

TMI lists upholstery kits for the front seats in the Sport Performance with the knee bolster option ("articulated"), but they only list charcoal and academy blue as colors, not the canyon red (even though the picture on their website shows the seat done in canyon red cloth). Not sure what is up with that, but you may want to contact them for clarification.

Another option is to source NOS material from SMS Auto Fabrics...

https://smsautofabrics.com/

This would be pricier that a kit from TMI, but the material color would be closer to the original color. You will need to have to have an upholstery shop make you the new covers.

You can order fabric swatches from SMS (and TMI as well I believe, remember to ask for swatches for the inner and outer bolster material) to compare and see how close the color match is. Remember that the material in your car is 34 years old, so there will be a difference in the colors no matter where you get the material from.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

I drive mine less than I want because of this issue. Only wear at all in mine just a little thinning near the lower back, but I don't know what I will do when the time comes..
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Thanks for the information, I will reach out to TMI for the Canyon Red option. I do have sample fabrics from SMS which led me to calling the Upholstery shops in the area which laugh at me. I would try to make them myself by reverse engineering the originals but the price per yard would be a very costly self-training. I did teach myself early headliners because they are only $35 dollars, on the 3rd try I had it down to a science and have done it with and without the windshield in.

With only 5000 of these cars made it is good and bad, the good is they are a bit more collectable, the bad no company is going to make the exact repo part for such a rare car even though Canyon Red is so popular. Like the TRX rims of the day, too expensive to run (I have 2 sets). So for people like yourself and I, it would be nice to have a nice custom slip cover to protect the original so we can drive them. Granted mine needs replaced but a slip cover would make it presentable instead of the 2 cheapy looking racing style seats I have in there now.

All good advice above. One point, make sure you compare any samples to an area of fabric that has been protected from the sun. In my case on my 82 RS that was under the head rest. The SMS samples looked wrong until I pulled the head rest up and compared the materials there and sure enough they were a spot on perfect match.

I am going thru the same issues you are with restoring the original interior in my 82 RS. Unfortunately TMI doesn't offer anything even close, so my only option is SMS materials to be correct. You can have TMI sew up the new covers for you using your materials. The down side is there is no cost savings over their normal price. Basically you don't get any discount for supplying your own materials. With that said, their cost for front and back seat covers in cloth is generally under $600, so not too expensive anyway. Like me, you can check with your local upholstery shops and most won't bid less than $1K for new covers if you area is similar to mine. Although you have to consider that includes them having to make a pattern off your old covers and actually installing them too. Installing the new covers is not really difficult if you have some basic skills, the needed tools, and are patient. That is the route I am going with mine as well as all new foam for the seats. Unfortunately that is way down my list of needs for the RS at this time, so it will be later this summer or this fall before I have any progress. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

I went the NOS route with fabric from SMS. This is the original color Charcoal Grey for an 84'. It's going in an 83' though. That color wasn't an option in 83'.
    I bought the fabric and a inexpensive walking foot sewing machine off of Ebay, and did it myself. This was the first time I have ever tried this myself. I bought the thread and foam backing materials from "Your Auto Trim Store". It was a fun project.

Just cut one seat apart at a time and use it for a pattern. Then use the other seat cover to see how it was sewn together. I also purchased the piping and made a small guide to attach to the sewing machine to auto feed it. Worked great.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow! first time, You have some talent! Maybe you have a great second career!

Quote Originally Posted by dynodon64 View Post
    I went the NOS route with fabric from SMS. This is the original color Charcoal Grey for an 84'. It's going in an 83' though. That color wasn't an option in 83'.
    I bought the fabric and a inexpensive walking foot sewing machine off of Ebay, and did it myself. This was the first time I have ever tried this myself. I bought the thread and foam backing materials from "Your Auto Trim Store". It was a fun project.

Just cut one seat apart at a time and use it for a pattern. Then use the other seat cover to see how it was sewn together. I also purchased the piping and made a small guide to attach to the sewing machine to auto feed it. Worked great.
    Impressive! I wish I knew how to sew and do more of that type interior work. My grandfather was very skilled at it, but unfortunately was not in good enough health when I was getting into cars to teach me. Miss him, his knowledge and skills.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller