Close

Thread: Stalling

Default Stalling

Working on a friends 88 GT, it has GT40P heads and lower intake, BBk Headers and 70mm Throttlebody, problem is it dies when comong to a stop, idle perfect and drives great, just stalls out when coming to a stop, always fires right back up, thinking it to be problem with air idle control but havent had a chance to actually get to look at it, since he brought it up to me to get back out and look at it.

Belongs in non Four Eyed section

idle control is mainly for additional air when the AC kicks in

what engine? I assume 5.0L pushrod V8. Is it stroked?

Automatic trans or manual? What transmission?

What tune code is on the ECU ?

what size injectors?

Where is the base timing set with the advance spout out? Should be between 10 and 12.5 if you run regular fuel. You might get away with 13.5 if running premium. Usually they run hot and on the ragged edge of detonation by 14 with E7 or Explorer heads. E6 only tolerate 13.5 and no more usually in my experience. And usually the max timing needs a bigger radiator in the summer to stay cool even in the Midwest

what does the voltage read on the TPS?

what is the idle set at on the tach?

Any idea on fuel level, fuel pressure, fuel pump type, in tank pump line condition, pressure regulator condition?
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

Does it have a vehicle speed sensor (cruise control type speedo drive setup)

Is the VSS hooked up and working properly?

You need to reset base idle speed. Sounds like it was set with IAC connected, I did that once and it acted like you describe.
    Set idle speed to the lowest setting possible between 600-800 rpms with IAC disconnected. It is key to use the lowest possible to prevent idle surge, rolling, etc once the IAC is connected.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed