Close

Default 82 GT Transmission

Going to look at a 1982 Mustang GT to possibly buy. The owner says it has an original 5 speed transmission. Did Ford use this tranny on any 82 GT's.

FEP Member

I thought the 82GT to Mid 83GT had the 4spd SROD. My 83GT built 12/82 had the 4spd SROD.

83-Steamam

FEP Supporter

My 82 GT has a four speed.

As far as I am aware, the five speed (non-world class T5) started as an option part/half way through the 1983 model year. The 4-speed was still available for the year though.

Welcome to the site Dconn64!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

No 5-speed behind V8 In 1982. There was a 5-speed behind non-turbo and turbo 2.3 but it was not a T-5.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks guys, The owner said there were a few 82's with 5 speeds but I wasn't aware of that. Was hoping it was all original but not to be. Are the 4 speed SROD hard to find these days? Thx

The owner does not know what they're talking about, unless this a Canadian GT with a turbo 2.3L.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

The t5 is definitely a good upgrade. The srod trans are junk
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

Yup- Mid '83 was transition time because I had an early '83 with an SROD. They aren't junk per se- mine had well over 225,000 trouble free miles on it when I built the motor and trans converting to a T5. But, they are NOT performance transmissions or super strong. The only '82 with a 5 speed is either the 4 cyl or it's been swapped out by someone.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"