Close

FEP Member

Default Holley fuel pump mat

1984 ltd lx 5.0 sefi t5
    Has anyone tried the Holley fuel pump mats. Ever since I replaced my fuel pump, I have been chasing some gremlins.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

I've been considering picking one up for my Subaru that I use for auto-x and track day stuff, as it's prone to fuel starvation at higher tank levels than I'd like. They certainly sound like they're awesome, but it's hard to find any reviews - googling for "Holley Hydramat reviews" or "install" or whatever seems to bring up mostly vendor listings and very little user feedback.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

FEP Member

Default Holley fuel mat

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    I've been considering picking one up for my Subaru that I use for auto-x and track day stuff, as it's prone to fuel starvation at higher tank levels than I'd like. They certainly sound like they're awesome, but it's hard to find any reviews - googling for "Holley Hydramat reviews" or "install" or whatever seems to bring up mostly vendor listings and very little user feedback.
    That's what I thought. I would like to see one of the internet sites do a review of them. I have been fighting a fuel problem for a while.

Doing some more searching, found some positive results on assorted forums:
    https://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-...-hydramat.html - "novaderrik" says they're popular with Lemons and Chumpcar (Champcar) racers. I just searched the Champcar forums (forum.champcar.org) and sure enough there are plenty of results; haven't read much yet.
    https://www.spyderchat.com/forums/sh...anybody-tried/ - "gawdzilla" eventually (at the end of the thread) reports positive results after a road course test
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/hol...dramat.504695/ - "bonecollector" reported positive results, but then someone else chimed in with a problem (and the thread died, so no resolution)
    I specifically searched for the 16-111 version, as that's the part number that would fit on my Walbro pump.

I have yet to find any negative reports, other than the one at the end of that last thread I linked. Since that person never updated or explained what the issue was, it could very well have been install error.

FEP Member

I didn't know that they had mats for different fuel pumps. I probably need to reset how my pump sets at the base of the hangar.
    I wish a company like aeromotive would have a product that would fit in these tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bgriff View Post
    I didn't know that they had mats for different fuel pumps.
    Yeah, there's a bunch of different configurations - https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...mat/hydramats/. Most of them have an AN or NPT fitting to feed the pump, but there's one (the 16-111) which has the "standard" 11mm connector to snap onto the inlet of a Walbro in-tank pump. (I think the other aftermarket pumps use that same type of connection.) For my Subaru, that would be the easiest way to go, since I could just replace the little inlet filter that's on the pump now with the Hydramat. If I was using an external pump, or the tank configuration was such that the 16-111 wouldn't fit (which may be the case - I need to open up the tank and take a look), then one of the other Hydramats might make more sense.