Close

Default 84 Fox to SN Stang rear end swap Axles.

I have been researching this for a while now, and theres a lot of information and posts on this but I am slightly confused its hard to determine what I actually need for my setup.

I swapped to a 8.8 from the 7.5 into my 1984 Capri a while back, I am having tire clearance issues. The wheel is sticking too far out and the tire is rubbing on the fender-well during turns and hard launches. This rear end definitely moved the rear wheels out a very noticeable distance (appears to be roughly 1 1/4" out each side) which kinda led me to believe I had a 99+ axle as the housing is longer, though looking at my measurements I am not sure of that. Im not sure exactly what year car this axle is from. This is a 28 Spline axle with ABS Rings (Which I do not need). The original axles in this 8.8 measure 30 9/16" from wheel mounting surface to the end of axle. The housing itself measures roughly 58 1/8"

I am in search of the shortest (Or fox length) aftermarket axles to bring my tires in as far as I can bring them with axle length. I would like to get my wheels in at least an inch (or the width of the ABS ring) as i believe that should solve my clearance issues. Anyone know what I need? Thanks, Brandon.

The housing width of 58.125" is impossible. Just measure from the wheel mounting surface on one side to the wheel mounting surface on the other side. If there are drums or rotors installed on the axles when you take this measurement, indicate so.

A 30.56" long axle is going to be a 1999-2004 model. I believe that you can install 1994-98 axles in the housing. This will move each wheel inboard 0.75". If you have disc brakes, you will need to buy and install some NRC caliper brackets to make the shorter axles work.

The exact length for the axles is 29.91" and 30.66".
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    The housing width of 58.125" is impossible. Just measure from the wheel mounting surface on one side to the wheel mounting surface on the other side. If there are drums or rotors installed on the axles when you take this measurement, indicate so.

A 30.56" long axle is going to be a 1999-2004 model. I believe that you can install 1994-98 axles in the housing. This will move each wheel inboard 0.75". If you have disc brakes, you will need to buy and install some NRC caliper brackets to make the shorter axles work.

The exact length for the axles is 29.91" and 30.66".
    Ah Sorry the measurement I gave was the physical width of the housing itself, from the end of each axle tube. I stuck the axles back in and re measured, from the outside edge to outside edge of the axle surface (No Rotors) which measures approximate 62.187"

If 94-98 axles can be installed into this housing, fox and 94-98 axles are interchangeable other than length, in theory would it be able to put fox length axles (29.25") into the 99+ housing? (other than issues with brake caliper offset) or would the increased length of the housing cause issues? Thanks again.

With that dimension, the axles in the housing are from a 1999-2004 Mustang and I'm estimating that they are either 31 spline or there is a Torsen differential installed in it.

I'm 90% sure that you could put 1994-98 axles in this housing. Fox axles can not be installed in it.

Your 58.125" measurement, must have been from the very, very end of the tube to the very, very end of the tube. By convention, the housing is measured from the brake mounting flange to the brake mounting flange.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Narrowing that housing is required to get to a standard fox Mustang width. Or punt

I believe Jack is correct on the 94-98 axles being the most narrow you can fit without narrowing the housing..... but do read up on it some more, check more forums, etc.

Your challenge is both width and lug count.

SVO or 2005-2009 Mustang have a different offset that would bring the wheels inward and should work well. They might even work with the current setup out back but pretty sure they will rub unless shorter axles are installed

1993 Cobra (street version, not R) also have a similar offset change but they are 4 lug. A 87-88 Turbo coupe rear axle is long enough to work. It is also 4 lug

Your next problem is getting track width stuff even front and rear.

Ideas:
    - 1994-2004 Mustang had a torque thrust wheel of a different offset than the 2005+. The older style in front with the newer ones in back isn’t going to be particularly noticeable but they are slightly different.
    - use a longer A arm like the SN95..... this may cause some alignment camber challenges but camber bolts up top should get enough of the negative camber dialed back out and allow you to use a relatively narrow wheel designed for 2005+ and get the same width in front
    - go to 87-93 spindles or SVO spindles and brake rotors for 1993 Cobra — they are 4 lug but have the taller hat that works to bring the wheels out.
    - go to a spacer in front to bring the wheels out so the are even with the rear.

Do your homework. Don’t get confused. Repops of 1993 Cobra wheels are usually standard fox offset, not cobra.

Personally I’d sell off that housing and get a 1994-1998 8.8. I’d also get Mosier rear axles with SN95 flanges. I’d also get the SN95 disc on fox width adapter brackets from North Racecars

Id suggest staying 4 lug but it’s a LOT more expensive than swapping to SN95 style brakes is.

M1858 or similar master cyl with 1” bore is what I’d run. 73 Torino parts bin has a 1" with the correct size lines for both front and rear so its a direct bolt-on. M1858 requires one fitting change or a line adapter.
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-22-2019 at 09:24 AM.