Close

Default Added lower arms no sits to high in back

Ok guys just added my 5 lug conversion, used a 88 turbo coupe rear with 96 axles in it, and when putting the axle in I added a set of lower control arms, dont know the brand but dont turn free so I installed them, (they look like a proform arm with poly bushings in it). when lowering car down on the ground it set real high in the back end, found that my quad shocks where too long and coouldnt compress enough to let back end settle. question is do I really need the quad shocks with lower control arms and what not, not straight lining this car, maybe an occasional auto cross, but mostly street driven to enjoy, I havent put the sub frames in yet but have them, and wanting to put a roll bar in car to help stiffen body up beings it is a t-top car, 5.0, 5 speed

Never heard of quad shocks being too long and/or preventing the rear end form settling.

Did you tighten up the control arms with the vehicle in the air and the suspension hanging? If so that is most likely your issue. You need to have all control arm bolts loosened,then settle the suspension. I personally like to drive it around the block a couple of times. Then if possible drive onto a 4 post lift and tighten up all the control arm bolts. If like most of us you don't have a 4 post lift or access to one, then you will need to jack up the car and place jack stands under the suspension so that when the car is lowered onto the stands the full weight of the vehicle is placed on the suspension itself and not allowed to dangle. Now go back and tighten up all the control arm bolts to specifications.

Same goes for any changes to the front suspension too.

I personally recommend a good set of quad shocks unless you are running too large a rear wheel/tire or you are running an aftermarket suspension setup that does away with the quad shocks. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yes was tighten on the suspension nothing hanging, but the quads were not allowing full suspension settle, now I have to go back and loosen all the bolts then let settle and retighten. Yes I have access to drive on lift as I have one in my garage and a couple of them at work as well, thinking of leaving quads out as I am wanting a little bigger wheel outback, so I can stagger the offset on it.