Close

Default 50oz balancer differences

What is the difference between the e1te-b4a balancer and the later e4tz? Are they interchangable?
    Last edited by Machspeed; 01-14-2019 at 02:39 PM.

FEP Senior Member

The E1 may be a 28 oz. You also need to verify the ring gear tooth count. It's easy to see the difference in the counter weight if you have them side by side.
    Off the top of my head I can't remember the tooth counts.

E1TE balancer should be a 50 oz balancer.

Obviously the balancer doesn't have any teeth like the flywheel or flexplate. So no need to count.

Yours may not look exactly like either of these, but this can give you an idea of the difference between the 28.4 oz and the 50 oz.

Name:  Balancer.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  41.4 KB
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Old imbalance factor is 28.2 oz.

50 oz imbalance factor was new for the 1981 model year for all 302 engines.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 01-14-2019 at 04:43 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks for your replies. It has been awhile since I have dealt with these factory balancers so I'm a little rusty. I need to replace the current balancer on '83 Mustang project car and I'm just trying to find a simple replacement. This is for a very budget minded replacement so I'm not looking for anything fancy. I know for sure the E1TE-B4A balancer has the 50oz weight and the flywheel(E1ZR) has the matching weight. I just need a direct replacement part but keep coming up with conflicting information between different part vendor sites. Are the early 50oz balancers shorter or longer in length than the later(84-) E4TZ ones? How different is the diameter? The engine currently has a mix of parts but all of the pulleys line up and I don't want to change any of the pulleys at the moment. I will be replacing this engine this spring which is why I am trying to find the easiest replacement.
    Last edited by Machspeed; 01-14-2019 at 03:12 PM.

FEP Senior Member

Sorry I was thinking flywheel and not balancers. Same case though with the weights. I remember using a Motorsport balancer that required a spacer to be used in order for the pulley to be in the correct position. Not sure if the older E1's were shorter than the later E4's.

Not sure I have an exact answer to your question, but most of the front drive accessories list 85-93 as the same. The early cars up until 82 seem to be the same and then 82-84 in many cases, although I do know of at least two ps pump bracket part numbers of E2 and E4.

I have the balancer off my original 82 RS 5.0 I can measure for comparison if that helps.

Would the timing marks be in the same place on those 2 balancers? I know there are multiple places to mount the timing pointer on a 302, but I don't know if it changed between E1 and E4.

You'll be best advised to ignore the timing marks and use a piston stop to find true TDC. i've found the pointers tend to be off, since they wiggle around over time. My current car's engine was off ~four degrees on the new balancer, which is massive. I too, just used a factory replacement, mainly preventative. The car idles and revs a little smoother now, so, it had slipped a bit.

I'm not sure if measuring just one would help but thank you for the offer. I think you would have to measure two from different years to see if there’s a difference. If look it up on AutoZone’s site for an '83 i get Dorman part number 594-024 but if I look it up as a '90 I get the same Dorman part. So you would think they both use the same balancer but the search for the '90 also gives a Pioneer part number DA3021. If I do a search for the Pioneer DA3021 part number it says it does not fit an '83 model. So you can understand my confusion. This is just one example on one site but it seems to be similar on other sites. I have found a local parts store that has the Dorman 594-024 part in stock. I'm hoping to have a chance to go by today and compare mine against the Dorman piece. Gmatt that’s a good point about the timing marks. I will definitely check that as well.

Well, I have both a 1982 and a 1990 balancer, so I can measure both if that will help you.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Wraithracing if you don't mind please measure both to see if there is a difference in length or diameter. Thanks for your help.

I've got '79 (28.2oz-in) and '89 (50oz-in) 302 balancers here. I'll grab those dimensions too today... diameters, and lengths from pulley bolt face to where it rests against the crankshaft timing gear. Right now though, having "degreed" a number of them, I'm pretty sure they most/all have a 6-1/2" diameter.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

→ '79 351W: D0OE-C1 SD D9 - Ø6-3/8" & 4" length, 28.2 ounce-inch
    → '79 302: D2OE-6316-A2A S - Ø6-1/2" & 4" length, 28.2 ounce-inch
    → '89 302: E4TE-A3A - Ø6-3/8" & 4" length, 50 ounce-inch

So, a 4" length from crankshaft timing gear to pulley bolt flange for SBF's appears to be across the board. So pulley alignment shouldn't be an issue with whichever balancer. Outside Ø differences are only 1/16" per side, so even if a little bit of timing tab bending is needed for a Ø6-1/2" balancer, you should be okay. The main, MAIN concern is getting one that's 50oz-in imbalance for your engine.
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 01-15-2019 at 12:31 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

so as long as I get a 50oz imbalance it should work without having to refigure the pulley setup.

I checked the balancer off my 82 RS and the other balance which is off a 1990 5.0 which happened to be an E4TE. I couldn't read the part number off the 82 balancer, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were an E1TE.

Anyway, I couldn't see any difference between the two balancers. I took pictures of both, but haven't uploaded them. The timing mark, woodruf key way, outer diameter, overall length, etc. are all the identical. I will try and upload the pictures later for you.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I got a chance to go by and check out the Doorman part(594-024) today. It lists for 82-95 models. It is identical to the Pioneer part(DA3021) that lists for the 84-95 models. Both of them match the E1TE 50oz balancer I took off. I may be wrong but it seems any of the 50oz balancers will work and for the most part are the same.

Thanks for everyone's help.
    Last edited by Machspeed; 01-15-2019 at 10:57 PM.

For what it's worth, according to the Ford parts catalog for 80-89 cars, the part number for 82 and 83 5.0 Mustangs and Capris is E1TZ 6316-A (with a connotation of "E1TE-BA" for the engineering number, which will be stamped on the balancer if it is a Ford part). The part number listed for 84-89 (and I'm guessing 90-93 as well) 5.0 Mustangs and Capris is E4TZ 6316-A. There isn't a note for the engineering number, but the "E4TE" part stamped on the balancer is the engineering number if it is a Ford part.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Probably a day late and a dollar short, but here are some pictures.

Name:  2019-01-15 14.38.00.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  98.0 KB

Name:  2019-01-15 14.38.17.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  99.3 KB

Name:  2019-01-15 14.38.30.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  87.5 KB

Name:  2019-01-15 14.39.39.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  86.0 KB

The 1982 balancer is on the left and the E4TE is on the right in all the photos.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

It looks like there is a lot more total mass with one than the other.

Curious — what do each of them weigh

Guys who like to play with rotating mass will know exactly why I’m asking.

I don't see much difference as far as size and mass goes. The one thing that stands out is the shoulder on the hub to the seal surface. The older version has the rounded shoulder whereas the newer has a square cut shoulder. I wonder would that be to accommodate a crank position sensor ring?

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    It looks like there is a lot more total mass with one than the other.

Curious — what do each of them weigh

Guys who like to play with rotating mass will know exactly why I’m asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    I don't see much difference as far as size and mass goes. The one thing that stands out is the shoulder on the hub to the seal surface. The older version has the rounded shoulder whereas the newer has a square cut shoulder. I wonder would that be to accommodate a crank position sensor ring?
    I am sure if you start checking everything on the balancers there is something different between the two or why else would Ford have a new part number. Pictures may not show it as accurately as they should since I didn't do a great job of getting straight on shots in a couple.

Either way, they are virtually identical with not immediate difference in weight, size, diameter, height, etc. You can see some slight shape differences at the edges, etc. as Ed mentions, but nothing that would alter or affect the overall function of either IMHO.

The square shoulder might help with a CPS, but I don't believe that was much of a thought for the E4TE balancer when it was designed or introduced, but I could be wrong.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller