Close

Default Hatch trim panel

I've searched but didn't find any results, so here's my question. Does anybody know if a trim panel is available for the inside of the hatch?

I found one for my 03 Cobra that an aftermarket company makes and it's a nice piece so I'm looking for one for the 86. I have seen them on some later models but don't know if they were factory or aftermarket.

Throughout the years Ford offered some different options for the area of the hatch below the rear glass. Some were a fiber board product that generally didn't hold up well. There was the plastic cover with the bulge that was originally for the rear wiper option and later used on the 84-86 SVO models. Then in 1987 Ford started using the flat plastic cover/trim panel at least on the loaded models.

You can make any of them work. Worse case you will need to drill some holes that match up to the door panel style clips that hold the plastic panels in place. Good Luck1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/87-93-Ford-...-/183266605238
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Be VERY careful when drilling the holes to mount these! When the drill bit breaks through the sheet metal the drill can VERY EASILY shove through and punch the top layer of the hatch and put an upside down ding in it that is incredibly visible from the outside. I haven't actually done it, but I was there in person when it was done. Major damage caused. Nobody noticed until the hatch was lowered and then everyone went.............OHH @#$%. The 87-93 one is the one you probably want. Plenty around in many colors and it fits and looks nice. EDIT: And also make sure your sheet metal screws are short enough that the plastic cover tightens before the screw makes a similar upside down ding.
    Last edited by homer302; 01-13-2019 at 05:24 PM.

FEP Super Member

I believe the 87 up hatch cover is held with screws about 1 and a half inches long , and self tapping .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

As always you guys are the shizzle, thanks. As far as the drilling goes I always am aware of the dangers of doing this, that's why I always put a small vacuum hose on the drill so it doesn't cause a calamity when drilling like mentioned.