Close

Default 86 GT Fender Removal tips of the day

I've read a lot of posts regarding how to or issues with removing the Fox fenders. I just removed both of mine with no issues and i would like to share how I avoided any issues.
    1. patience...Spray all bolts you can get to with a rust breaking penetrating spray regardless if like mine and rust free and walk away. Not Water Displacement (WD) 40.
    2. Best Practice remove the entire front nose. You will need to be patient and gentle with your wiring harness...label everything.
    3. Remove the inner fenders, a must do; 3 tinny phillips around the wheel well lip and one hiding along the forward fender lower edge...sprayed them earlier too.
    4. "OPEN and PROP OPEN the door of the fender you are removing. If you do not prop it open so you refrain from the natural tendency to close it ; you will destroy the leading edge of your door or the fender trailing door edge. Why? As you loosen the fender bolts the fender will walk and shift enough to pinch the fender and door.
    6. Make your reference marks along the inner fender edge or drill tiny reference wholes if you are concerned about alignment later, may help some. I don't.
    5. While removing the inner fender bolts under the hood along the inner fender edge, stick a small screw driver in place of the forward most bolt whole you just removed the bolt from. You will appreciate this, "third hand" later.
    6. Now you can remove the bolt attaching the lower fender edge from the rocker panel.
    7. There is NO bolt behind the whipper and cowl vent. It is hiding behind your door top hing that you did prop open. get long extensions and it is easily reached. (see attached)
    8. Remove the fwd fender bolts here is where the one is that is a brace arm.
    9 lift off your fender your screwdriver has held your fender for you faithfully.
    If you are removing your passenger fender STOP and unplug the antenna.

If anything I hope this helps you think through the job. .

If you are like me your fenders have been in place a very long time. In the case of my 1986 GT, since its last full repaint in 1993 ..... So sufficient to say there are multiple details I've completely forgotten about simply because I haven't messed with it in so long.

Thank you for the reminders. They will come in hand when I finally get back to messing with my tired old pony.