Close

Default ASC Mclaren Capri convertible door Glass

I went to go look at an ASC Mclaren Capri that was being parted out near me, I wanted to save it. The guy wanted 2k, but the car is really far gone and a lot of stuff is missing as well as some serious rust. While looking over the car something came up, the fella and I both noticed the glass looked very much like t-top glass as well as the fact that the car had a hardtop windshield, not a convertible one. I looked on the ASC website and the glass looked very similar in the shape. But it says the glass is unique to ASC cars. I'm hoping someone here knows, I've been hunting for some glass and haven't had much luck. Does anyone have any dimensions on t-top glass?

"That Plymouth had a hemi with a torqueflite. I believe we sawed the guy off even if we did lose $200.”

My cars:
    83 Capri RS T-Top
    83 Capri RS
    82 Capri

Any Capri owners in the Bay Area, California? Email me lets meet up! Meezy2@gmail.com

I believe ASC tilted the windshield frame back a bit. If so, the the door glass would have a different angle on the front.

Kenny

FEP Power Member

The ASC Capri started as a hatch back so that means the windshield is the hatch back version and not the convertible one. The side door windows were untempered and cut to fit the modified windshield frame. As far as the body goes, it was built as a hatch back and the roof was cut off at ASC. The other extra items supplied by Ford we’re be just tossed in the back to be assembled later. There was a special parts list showing these parts for each VIN as it was ASC’s special order package. There were a lot of take off parts floating around from ASC such as consoles, quarter windows (with factory invoice still attached) and seat belts. Some items may have been deleted at the factory such as rear interior panels, head liner and rear seats.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

ASC four eye convertible door glass is unique do to the laid back windshield posts.

Buy it and resell it if it's cheap!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

What I've always found interesting is that as far as I can tell -- even as a body in white or otherwise -- there was technically never such a thing as a Capri coupe.

I'm sure everyone sees the problem.

Given many/most of the Capri based ASCs were convertibles the cars had to have had fairly significant surgery at the rear quarters.

You can't just chop the top off of a hatchback and call it good. To get a finished look you must merge the top part of a Mustang coupe/convertible quarter panel with the Capri panel's unique lines to get a finished off look to the body panels.

It would be interesting to see an ASC convertible after all of these years up close to identify precisely what was done and how it was done. I'm not sure its really ever been documented ...... maybe it has and I just haven't seen it.

There are pictures of how they were built out there on the web.

I thought I had them saved from when I had my 86 ASC convertible however I cannot find them.

The ASC convertibles were actually built much stronger/better than the 1983 up Mustang convertibles in my opinion when comparing the 2 side by side.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

FEP Power Member

WOW! I am not a convertible guy, so I normally don't think much about any of the verts. Definitely didn't even think about all the additional work they had to do. Pretty impressive! Now I need to find me an ASC Mclaren Convertible . . . . NOT!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

After seeing the pictures, I would say you need a door glass from a T-Top car, and not a convertible.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by dynodon64 View Post
    After seeing the pictures, I would say you need a door glass from a T-Top car, and not a convertible.
    There is NO Information to support this. Plain and simple, they special ordered basic hatch backs and they threw a few extra Ford parts in the trunk.
    Last edited by KevinK; 01-12-2019 at 09:05 PM.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    There is NO Information to support this. Plain and simple, they special ordered basic hatch backs and they threw a few extra Ford parts in the trunk.
    What the hell are you talking about? You can clearly see that they started with a stock hatchback. When T-Tops were installed in them, they had to change the door glass. Same goes for the coupes. Most people also know that a convertible's windshield is laid back at a steeper angle, so it uses a different glass as well. There was no Special Hatchbacks!

ASC started with a T-top hatchback and then did a TON of body work while modifying some of the factory parts. The tag on my 86 Capri roadster says 'Coupe' which is confusing.

They removed the windshield and cut the top off as seen in the pictures above. Then, they had this machine that clamped on to the windshield frame and bent it back to rake it. I don't know the exact degree, but I have heard anywhere from 5 to 15 degrees of rake. They might have chopped it, too, but I can't see the welds on my Mclaren. Then, since they changed the angles all around, they modified the windshield and door glass by grinding them to fit. They also had to cut the top off of the interior part of the mirror frame.

**Edit--ASC only modified the windshields and door glass on the 84-86 cars. The 87-90s got special order FoMoCo tinted glass, specific to the ASC McLaren convertibles. ASC didn't do a thing to the hatchback glass.

Now, on the back half of the car, you can see in the pictures that they welded a support that goes all the way down the tranny hump and between the shocks. That is pretty strong, but most of the 84-86s didn't have the frame strengthening kit and were pretty wobbly at the doors. Most people fix that by adding weld-on frame connectors and/or the frame stiffening kit.

The 87-90s were supposed to come with the reinforced convertible floor pans and rocker panels. I think, though, that the 'convertible rocker panels' meant the frame stiffening kit that rivets to the rockers and pinch welds.

I know they used a stock Mustang coupe deck lid that didn't have the luggage rack.
    Last edited by 86McLarenCapri; 02-06-2019 at 12:59 PM.