Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cool Sign, But Seriously?!

This sign is cool, and would be fun for me to have. But just why the HELL is it $300?! Sure, it's vintage, but come on. 1978 wasn't exactly a landmark year in the car business. He has several more of other models.

Considering most 1978 CARS are selling for about that, I really doubt he's EVER going to get that out of a stupid SIGN. It does say "or best offer". I'm thinking of offering him $20.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Promo-Deale...itleDesc=0%7C0
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

TV american picker markup. Who buys this stuff? Sentimental value added?

Downside of when classic cars and NOS or factory official parts become actually worth more.
    Especially when restoring cars to show or sell.
    Same with houses. Good when selling, bad when purchasing. The game. Play, hold, or fold.
    No play or pay for awhile, cannot afford to play or pay later. Low or high stakes.

Good if selling something desired. The want it.
    Bad if buying something needed. Or want it, cant have it.

Yeah, people always think they can make huge cash on everything. Such

I decided to go ahead and offer him $20.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

And it led to a purchase! Plus a bonus sign!

Name:  IMG_20180820_172913051.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  111.3 KB
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well done!

Mike

FEP Supporter

Nice! There ya go Brad! Faith in humanity restored...until the next outrageous ad!

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Nice! There ya go Brad! Faith in humanity restored...until the next outrageous ad!
    Glad I could help you with that!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well it dont matter how much..... but as long as you love it
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Wanted to share the full effect!

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Looks fantastic! Love that neon Mercury sign as well.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Very interesting decorated space and lighting. A vision turned into reality. A little museum.
    Traffic light is too big for that spot for sure.
    I like the pics of the lakers. Which ones are they?
    Detroit area has a maritime history too along with autos. Ford operated freighters.
    Freighters deliver material directly into Ford Rouge dock area, right across where DEP used to be.
    Shipyards used to be nearby. Great spot to see them up real close.
    On the river near downtown, one of my fav camera sites to watch live from home and even on cellphone:
    https://detroithistorical.org/dossin...r-watch-webcam
    schedules: http://www.boatnerd.com/
    Last edited by gr79; 01-18-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks, I was thrilled to find the Mercury sign. They are hard to come by. I'd be happy to share where I got it if anyone is interested.

The lakers are Wilfred Sykes, John J Boland (the previous one), and Roger Blough. I'm in Duluth/Superior several times a year watching them. I'm there now, in fact. It's off season, yes, but several lay up for the winter here. Cool that you watch them too! It's definitely a huge hobby of mine.

It's really cool that Ford had a fleet. The first William Clay Ford is a favorite of mine. The former Benson Ford and the 2nd William Clay Ford are here in Superior under their new names, Lee Tregurtha and Kaye Barker.

Boatnerd is a great resource. I use it often!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Default Boats that helped make steel for our cars

So that is where they are now. Lakes are not that icy, but they need to do maintenance and give everyone a break.
    Yes am familiar with all. Interlake's Lee and Kaye are regulars at the Rouge docks. Lee did many trips there this year.
    Ford was a first class act with the ships. Interlake is too. Rouge plant was home port. What a history.
    The boats may have indirectly helped build our Dearborn cars by supplying material for Rouge Steel manufacturing.
    The SS William Clay Ford was laid and launched 1953, nearby at the GLEW about 4 miles s from DAP.

Caught the Lee under way delivering taconite to the Rouge. One of the drawbridge workers let me get it up close to it with him.
    This is the Rouge River at Fort Street. Rouge area to the north in background. Ate lunch by the docks one time as a Ford worker.
    Name:  Lee A Tregurtha rouge (3).jpg
Views: 245
Size:  129.2 KB

The Dossen Maritime Museum camera, on Belle Isle in the Detroit River, can be operated on line. Done it many times.
    The camera is on top the pilot house of the SS William Clay Ford, added to the Museum in the 80's. Been in it.
    The Lee, lit up proudly at night last winter:
    Name:  Lee T 122817-unloaded.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  15.3 KB

https://detroithistorical.pastperfec...ineering+Works

Yep, Great Lakes Engineering Works built a lot of my favorites!

That's awesome you got to hang out at the docks! Too bad the port facilities are so locked down these days. It's hard to get up close to them now. At least here.

Interlake takes good care of their fleet for sure. I think they all have been repowered in the last 10-15 years, which means we should have their classics to enjoy for a long time!

I definitely have to get over to the Dossin museum before too long.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I was lucky to get a pic of the Arthur M Anderson passing buy one time at the soo locks.

Default Seeing the signs made me do it

Truly, the 'full effect' pic shows a place to clear the mind, inspire ideas. Great setting for bringing out the signs.
    The darkened area of the ceiling. Black ceilings add a "touch of drama and steer attention to items."
    Sorry but had to off-topic the boat stuff. Its like i am in the room hanging out bs-ing.
    Have they somehow added some subliminal serenity to car mfg, being in the backyard of Detroit's automakers?

Yes any dock within company property is off limits unless a guest, worker, have business there.
    Liability, 911, workplace incidents. Ford Rouge (and plants in general) have strict security or try to.
    Lots of areas are monitored on the Detroit River, an international border. No wall, just water.
    Plenty of places to view ships. From another boat, shore parks near river shipping channels.

The repowering included maritime emissions equipment to scrub exhaust gasses from the engines(s).
    Requires caustic soda to be taken aboard, not unlike land diesels using DEF.
    Scheduled delivery via truck tanker. Parks on dock, liquid is pumped on board. Takes hours.
    Family member says his co-drivers have gotten free lunchs passed to them from the ship's cook.
    https://www.marinelink.com/news/scru...nstalled411623

Spent hours watching:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...paul+tregurtha
    A cool tour is the freighter docked in Toledo. Hours of video touring others on YouTube.
    https://www.inlandseas.org/col-james-m-schoonmaker/

Many in metro Detroit have or do own boats or at least rode in one. Fishing the lakes, joyriding, hanging in a marina.
    And have fond memories of summer Boblo steamer day trips up to the 90's.
    Many autoworkers bottom to top took the excursions trips. The boat ride was the best. Island? eh ok.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boblo_...Amusement_Park

I've always liked how theaters and some restaurants with "ambience" have black ceilings. The other end of the room is the home theater area. I'm guessing when the day comes to sell the house, the real estate agent is going to have a heart attack as soon as he/she goes down there though.

Here's a pic of Lee and Kaye I took this afternoon at Fraser Shipyards.

I was touring the area getting pics of the whole layup fleet. I can neither confirm nor deny doing some offroading in my Transit Connect on private property to get the best pic I could of the American Spirit.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 01-21-2019 at 07:38 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

This is the drawbridge closest to the Rouge area. They run water on it all summer.
    The Lee photo was at the new Fort St. bridge 1/2 mile behind this ship. There are 3.
    They turn around in a basin at the Rouge.

"On August 1, 2006, the Herbert C. Jackson was forced to stop on the Rouge River when, due to the extreme heat of the day, the Dix Street bridge refused to open. Using some ingenuity, the vessel's crew rigged up a hose and crept closer to the bridge. Under the supervision of the bridge operator, the crew began to pour cool water onto the heat swollen metal of the bridge. The operation was a success, the cooling process allowing the bridge to open and the self-unloader to continue her trip up the river to Rouge Steel to unload her cargo of taconite pellets from Marquette, MI."

Name:  HCJacksonDix4(8-1-06)wps.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  60.0 KB

Default Real Estate and decor with collectables

Benson Ford I at the same bridge (Dix) pictured above. Under way from the Rouge smog in background.
    Forward super structure is now someone's house:
    http://shiponthebay.com/history.html
    Name:  BensonFord-RiverRouge-100153wireservice.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  70.8 KB

Friend of mine has seats from Detroit's Tiger Stadium, now torn down.
    We have watched ballgames on tv in his living room sitting in them. He has a turnstile too.
    Sitting at a game in the park, never seriously thought would do that someday.

That's awesome. I remember by that time the boat had been renamed John Dykstra but they defiantly renamed it Benson Ford. haha. How cool would it be to have that? Huge piece of history there.

Did you have smog like that when you would have your lunches outside?

Cool about those ballpark seats too.

I remember hearing about the Jackson being stranded. The sort of thing that doesn't happen too often. Closest thing I can come to that is, one time I was at the Duluth ship canal watching a footer arrive (American Century, I think), and as the Duluth Lift Bridge was going up, it malfunctioned and stopped. It blew the horn several long blasts. The ship had to "put on the brakes". We saw it go full reverse with a bunch of smoke out of the stacks to slow down and then it made a long loop in the lake while the bridge worked out the problem. Eventually the bridge went up the rest of the way and the boat did arrive. Never seen that before, and haven't heard of it happening since!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I've always liked how theaters and some restaurants with "ambience" have black ceilings. The other end of the room is the home theater area. I'm guessing when the day comes to sell the house, the real estate agent is going to have a heart attack as soon as he/she goes down there though.

Here's a pic of Lee and Kaye I took this afternoon at Fraser Shipyards.

It's very interesting that I was in Duluth for the first time this week and drove by and saw these same ships. It was the first time that I have ever been in this area so we did some driving around the town and over to Superior in the course of calling on a few customers. Fascinating seeing these big ships at dock and all of the ice on the waterways. Having lived in the South all of my life I've never seen ponds / rivers / lakes that are frozen over. Crazy seeing all of the fishing huts out on the ice too!

Jonathan
    Last edited by slow84lx; 01-27-2019 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slow84lx View Post
    It's very interesting that I was in Duluth for the first time this week and drove by and saw these same ships. It was the first time that I have ever been in this area so we did some driving around the town and over to Superior in the course of calling on a few customers. Fascinating seeing these big ships at dock and all of the ice on the waterways. Having lived in the South all of my life I've never seen ponds / rivers / lakes that are frozen over. Crazy seeing all of the fishing huts out on the ice too!

Jonathan
    Yeah, it's cool stuff! The Great Lakes is the biggest fresh water system in the world, and the shipping industry there is totally unique! Duluth/Superior is one of the busier ports on it. My wife thinks it's funny I can identify the boats from miles away, but the classics, especially like Lee and Kaye pictured here are like no other ships in the world. It's a fun hobby to have to that reason, and the classics have such elegant designs for ships built for work. Not sure if you made it over that way, but on the other side of the bridge is the Edward L. Ryerson, laid up kind of between 2 sets of grain elevators. There's no better example of a classic Great Lakes freighter.

I'm not an ice fisherman, but sometimes you see those shacks what look like a few feet from a moving freighter! Those guys are nuts.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Ran across this site today. Located near the Fraser shipyard.
    https://www.newlook.dteenergy.com/wp...ation-activity

DTE (my electric company) power plants receive coal via ship and unit trains
    Rail only during winter with ice in the waterways and ships laid up.
    The unit train locomotives pulling 100+ loaded coal cars are fascinating to see and hear.
    Usually two newer high hp models.
    When i worked in the warehouse, busy dual train tracks were next door.
    The floor would vibrate my forklift when they rumbled by.
    Long wait if caught by one. Company had policy: if 20% of shift was late because of trains, we were excused.
    Last edited by gr79; 01-31-2019 at 02:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast