Close

Thread: steering rack

Default steering rack

I need to replace my steering rack in my 85 GT and have a chance to pick up a new AGR-732581 rack for about $350, but I'm unfamiliar with this brand and if it would require AGR special hoses and fittings or would it use regular hoses and fittings, or is it better just to stick with the regular steering racks that regular Mustang suppliers offer?.... Any input would be appreciated...Thanks.

The rack should use standard hoses and fittings.

The AGR racks have been suspect in regards to quality over the years. Some have had great success with them and others just the opposite. I have one unit in my 85 Road Racer, but don't have much seat time to give you an opinion either way at this point.

Unless you have a specific need or requirement for the AGR rack, I would probably say a standard unit will do all the you want/need and should be less expensive. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

thanks for the input, I think I'll stick with the standard unit as per your advice.......Thanks very much again!

So far I’ve had good luck with a reman from Autozone in my 86GT. The original lasted a touch less than 500K miles. I put in a 2.5 turn reman unit when I rebuilt the front suspension on the car, mainly due to a few minor leaks.

I also installed a reman pump and a trans cooler to cool the PS fluid better than the loop and an underdrive pulley kit to slow the PS pump down some. Previously I had been shooting PS fluid everywhere at high RPM. After an intake/throttlebody/exhaust upgrade I regularly see the 6250 rev limiter although I try to catch just before when I’m getting after it....

Ford calls for TypeF in the PS system. I’m running synthetic PS fluid as I wanted something that would give a bit nicer of a feel.

Heres to some luck - may you get a dead silent steering system out of the job. I’m happy with how quiet mine is right now. Time will tell on the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    So far I’ve had good luck with a reman from Autozone in my 86GT. The original lasted a touch less than 500K miles. I put in a 2.5 turn reman unit when I rebuilt the front suspension on the car, mainly due to a few minor leaks.

I also installed a reman pump and a trans cooler to cool the PS fluid better than the loop and an underdrive pulley kit to slow the PS pump down some. Previously I had been shooting PS fluid everywhere at high RPM. After an intake/throttlebody/exhaust upgrade I regularly see the 6250 rev limiter although I try to catch just before when I’m getting after it....

Ford calls for TypeF in the PS system. I’m running synthetic PS fluid as I wanted something that would give a bit nicer of a feel.

Heres to some luck - may you get a dead silent steering system out of the job. I’m happy with how quiet mine is right now. Time will tell on the long term.
    Thanks for your help, I think I'm going to play it safe and buy a rebuilt system from LMR or a general parts supplier since this car is just a Sunday driver...thanks again