Close

FEP Member

Default Headliner install

Since I started this resto on my 85 gt.i have enjoyed every bit of it ,but I gotta say I’m not a “interior guy”.although I will be doing most of the interior stuff myself,I’ve reached the point of the headliner install.i got a brand new headliner in the box with the car.ive opened the box and looked it over.i forgot to mention that it has a factory sunroof.which makes it that much more of a pita!my question is,should I have this installed by a upholstery pro?ive watched the YouTube lmr video but it always looks easy in 8 minute video.aldo,if I do decide to have it done,what’s a fair price?

My wife took the headliner out of an old nissan xterra we had. She took the old material off and replaced it with new stuff. She put it back in with just a tiny bit of help from her boy (he helped hold it in position while she replaced the trim that held it all). It's a much bigger pita than these cars. She's not really mechanically inclined, but she managed just fine. I would suggest jumping right in and doing it yourself. Have a helper with you and take your time. You'll be able to enjoy your own work instead of complaining about some other "pro" messing it up!

If your re-using the factory headliner board I would say go for it. I bought one of the tmi headliner boards made from abs with the material on it and it's so flimsy it's hard for one person to hold it up, position it just right, and get any panels in to hold it up on the edges. The abs is so flimsy you cant use the factory headliner clips to hold it up like the factory board.

FEP Senior Member

Just be sure to use HHR glue. That stands for High Heat Resistance. Any other type will only come loose when the car heats up in the hot weather. Your Auto Trim Store website sells it. The only thing is it comes in a gallon can. Not expensive.

FEP Member

I just went down and opened the box,and it is a tmi with that flimsy plastic backing like yours..good Idea broncojunkie! Looks like I will be recruiting the wife to lend a hand..I just don’t want to screw it up..they ain’t cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by dynodon64 View Post
    Just be sure to use HHR glue. That stands for High Heat Resistance. Any other type will only come loose when the car heats up in the hot weather. Your Auto Trim Store website sells it. The only thing is it comes in a gallon can. Not expensive.
    Nothing wrong with using this type of glue, but I have to disagree that it's required. I have been using the 3M Super 90 in the spray cans for probably 30 years with most of those in TX and I have yet to have a single headliner come loose in all that time. I do recommend a using a large quantity of the product to make sure it sticks well, but that's it. Honestly I buy the big spray can at Home Depot/Lowe's and generally 1 can will do the average Fox headliner with not issue. That is spraying the first tack coat on both the backer board and the material. Then spraying a second coat 90 degrees to the first on both items again. Works great for me and I have never had an issue with at no less than 20 Mustang headliners over the years. Good Luck!

Oh! I will say the TMI ABS board is heavy as heck and flimsy as Hell! Need to make sure you have everything ready to support it when installing. Also you can't use the dome light housing to hold the TMI headliner in place all alone like the OEM fiberboard headliner. It will actually bow the roof from the weight. So you need to make sure you have an extra pair of hands and especially the interior quarter panels ready to support the headliner. Don't ask me how I know!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I'm about to put my tmi headliner in soon and my idea is to use 4 of those super magnets and place them around the perimeter of the sunroof to help hold it up so I can get it positioned just right. Hopefully that will work.
    Last edited by 79mustang; 01-10-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Ok Trey ...... I’ll play. How do you know? Lol

FEP Senior Member

I did a headliner install on my sunroof last year. It's on my YouTube channel, both how to put fabric on and then install the headliner. There are two plastic black T clips on each side of the headliner that are meant to be installation guides. Put two lightly in on one side, put the headliner in place, and lift the other side into position. Add the other side black T clips.
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

Quote Originally Posted by 79mustang View Post
    I'm about to put my tmi headliner in soon and my idea is to use 4 of those super magnets and place them around the perimeter of the sunroof to help hold it up so I can get it positioned just right. Hopefully that will work.
    Give it a shot, but not sure the magnets will be strong enough to support the weight going thru the ABS plastic. Might, and definitely worth the try.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Ok Trey ...... I’ll play. How do you know? Lol
    Just put a new headliner in my buddy's SSP and we used the dome light to help locate the headliner to make sure we got everything positioned correctly. I stepped out of the vehicle to get tools and could see that the weight of the headliner supported by dome light alone was actually causing the roof to cave in at the dome light due to the weight of the ABS plastic. Never had that happen with the stock backer board as I have done that same install many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Basin Motorsports View Post
    I did a headliner install on my sunroof last year. It's on my YouTube channel, both how to put fabric on and then install the headliner. There are two plastic black T clips on each side of the headliner that are meant to be installation guides. Put two lightly in on one side, put the headliner in place, and lift the other side into position. Add the other side black T clips.
    Agreed the black T clips are very helpful. Unfortunately my buddy's were missing and we didn't have any extras. Also I still am not sure that the black T clips will work as well with the ABS backer board as they do with the stock fiber backer board.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Member

Thank you guys for all the replies.always there to answer any questions.i hemmed and hawed for a day but decided the wife and I will be attempting to do this.doubt it will get done this weekend..supposed to be freezing here this weekend,plus the patriots game is on Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by kfxmatt View Post
    plus the patriots game is on Sunday!
    No Need to watch that!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Member

Haha.we have won so much we have become the ny Yankees of the nfl!

FEP Super Member

I have left the Interior rear plastic panels I stalled and loose at the top, to help slide the head liner in and hold it up , because i work alone , and only have 2 hands ...
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

FEP Member

I got thinking of that the other day Ashley.apparently I wasn’t thinking ahead when I already put my rear panels in.Thanks for letting me know they don’t have to come out again.

FEP Member

[QUOTE=wraithracing;1898999]No Need to watch that! [/QUOTE

you were right.rivers became frozen rivers! Couldn’t handle the “sweatshirt” weather here in New England.

[QUOTE=kfxmatt;1899145]
    Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    No Need to watch that! [/QUOTE

you were right.rivers became frozen rivers! Couldn’t handle the “sweatshirt” weather here in New England.
    I was afraid that was going to be the way things would go. I won't count NE out of the Championship game, but I will say that if KC shows up and plays as well as they are capable . . . I don't think NE will have to worry about any additional travel plans this season.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Member

I agree..we have hands full next game..

FEP Member

got the headliner in! was a hell of alot easier than i imagined.wife was busy,so I recruited a buddy.looks great.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/158247.../shares/5416m5
    Last edited by kfxmatt; 02-10-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Looks good. I have got to do the same thing to my 85 GT with a sunroof. How did the abs backer board work for you?