Close

Default EFI Fuel Hoses 1986 5.0

As I work deeper into the hot mess under the hood, I realized the supply and return fuel hoses need to be replaced.

Whats seems unique is my 86 has hard lines up the side of the motor, which appears to be different from the 87-93s (was told I can’t run the Russell 651104 braided kit)

Can someone give me some direction on where I can get replacement hoses, or whether I it would be easier to just do a -6 AN conversion and run braided using the fitting below. (Any concerns with fumes seeping from braided lines?)

https://www.steeda.com/russel-mustan...25-640870.html

I don’t post often because I usually can find what I am looking for in archived posts, but this I am having trouble with.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FEP Senior Member

The hoses in your first picture are plastic tubing with a rubber cover. Those hoses don't go bad unless they get burned from the exhaust. If you want to replace them, you can cut them off and get some high pressure fuel injection rubber hose and clamps and replace them that way. There are after market fitting to use with the braided hose to hook back up to the original disconnects, if you want to go that route. If you need more fuel flow than stock lines will handle, then you are going to have to use the later option.

I agree with the above. The plastic hose rarely goes bad.

That said, when I converted my F150 to a 5.0 SEFI HO I had to reconfigure fuel lines. I cut off those plastic lines and replaced them with Dayco Push-Loc rubber hose. I used no clamps or additional fittings, just pushed them on the factory barb. I did this in the summer of 1998 and they are still holding today (January 2019), 20 years and 200,000+ miles. No leaks, looks smooth, lasts.

Kenny

Thank you, thats good news - they looked a little rough so figured better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit a chunk if ice and it broke my plastic lines. It was a hit chunk of ice...

I cut the line flush and used a regular brass barbed splice fitting and teo hose clamps just in case. Teo ears and about 60k miles later and it's still fine.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

FEP Senior Member

That plasit tubing is pressed onto a barb fitting already. Just cut the plastic away and you have a barb fitting.