Close

Default Hand held digital tachometers

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a decent tachometer for doing under the hood work? I've been using my 30 year old analog Actron brand tach but it's not ideal for doing carb adjustments on my Edelbrock Performer. It reads in 50rpm intervals but I'm guessing that the margin of error might be more than that.
    I'd like to go digital and considered either an Innova 3568 or better model 5568 till I saw that it doesn't work with an MSD ignition system. I saw they now have tachometers that utilize a lazer... anyone have any experience/opinions?

I can't help you but I am interested in the answer. Since cars no longer have distributors or spark plug wires, I am curious how a modern tool would connect to an older Fox. I also do my own tuning but never needed this particular tool I can always use another good tool though, LOL! Good luck.

So far no answers. Hopefully someone has already been down this road. Surprisingly there is very little information on the subject. I've always been able to run my mechanical dash tach and hand held tune up tool but again it reads in 50rpm increments. My edelbrock performer carb requires making idle circuit adjustments based on 40 rpm increases and decreases. So a digital tachometer is kind of essential. I'm sure that I can dial it in close enough with an analog tach but it would be great to have something very accurate and digital.

FEP Senior Member

What MSD box are you using? 6A boxes have a Tach out port on the side. 1/4 inch blade connector.

Darn, my 60's Micronta dwell tach got totaled in a garage fire. Tuned many a car with it.
    Will get another someday. Much better than a screwdriver for bumping a Ford starter.
    Attachment 125877

Digital rpm display numbers constantly change unless rpm is pretty stable.
    Getting an engine to hold +/- 10 rpm difference is really good.
    +/- 50 is awful close to +/- 40 on an engine. Call Edelbrock ask if +/- 50 is ok.

50% accuracy at 1000 rpm is 500 rpm, 5% is 50 rpm, .5% is 5 rpm, .05% is .5 rpm.
    HF Cen-Tech #66632, at 37.00, claims accuracy of +/- .05%.
    At 1000 rpm, that is (+/-) ½ rpm if my math is right.
    Reading down to single or double place digits would be cool if possible with a contact-less type.
    Last edited by gr79; 01-12-2019 at 06:24 PM.

You can use a phototachometer. You just need to put a piece of reflective tape on the balancer.

Check McMaster Carr for tachometers that will be industrial grade. Harbor Freight has one for $37. Don't know how long that might last though.

https://www.mcmaster.com/tachometers

https://www.harborfreight.com/digita...ter-66632.html
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Many new digital timing lights have a tach read out. I am running a 6AL and have had no issues using an OTC light or the rpm read out. Similar lights out there for <$100.
    1986 Mustang LX
    '88 Roller Block: TFS Stage 1 Cam, Roush 200's, FiTech EFI
    Mac shorties, UPR X-pipe, Magnaflow mufflers
    Dark Shadow Mettalic (Ford '02)
    '91 GT Grey Tweed Seats
    Charcoal Interior

Quote Originally Posted by dynodon64 View Post
    What MSD box are you using? 6A boxes have a Tach out port on the side. 1/4 inch blade connector.
    I do have the tach in the instrument cluster hooked up to that tab, only I want a handheld tool that's digital and accurate.

I was considering one of those photo types but the limited search seemed like a lot of cheap low quality stuff. It's a consideration but I would like to find something that can sit on the fan shroud as I work. The timing lights with tachometer feature is nice but the half decent brand I was interested in I specifically stated that they were not for use with a multiple spark ignition.

FEP Senior Member

Use the MSD tach hook up tab for the digital tester hook up point. That was my point.