Close

Default Installing t handle on automatic 84 gt

Ok, I took the t handle off to replace the seal on selector. I pushed in button and pulled up handle and it came off. Piece of cake. I thought by reversing the process the handle would go back on. I was wrong. Does anyone know how to install the t handle back on to the lever?

FEP Supporter

Is the little cable, roller and pivot thingy on the top of the shifter working and pulling the arm up at the bottom to release the pawl on the shifter?

Make sure the set screw is backed out enough on the handle. Pivot the upper, roller thingy on the end of the shifter upwards (vertical) and slide the handle over it. The plastic thumb "cylinder" insert on the T-handle has a slot/hole in the lower side that the roller thingy goes into. You may need to wiggle the button back and forth and the handle up and down a little to get it in. When it does, it should drop the handle lower, the shifter button will stiffen and should operate the lower pawl to move the shifter. Then you can tighten the set screw.

I have one apart from a 79 to show you mine if you need.

This is the only thing I got for a visual right now.

Name:  IMG_3456.1.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  22.1 KB
    Last edited by 82GTforME; 01-05-2019 at 11:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

I got it and thank you for your help, but I wished I would have never taken it off. When I took it off to replace seal I noticed a lot of glue on selector and letters were hard to read. So I cleaned the glue off but the letters came off with it. I thought there was a Bezel Shift Selector Dial you could buy after market. I can't find one anywhere. I even tried to find the whole assembly, no luck.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by FLETCHER4 View Post
    I got it and thank you for your help, but I wished I would have never taken it off. When I took it off to replace seal I noticed a lot of glue on selector and letters were hard to read. So I cleaned the glue off but the letters came off with it. I thought there was a Bezel Shift Selector Dial you could buy after market. I can't find one anywhere. I even tried to find the whole assembly, no luck.
    Good luck on your hunt! They should be available pretty easy I'd think!

If it is black, I think the "glue" you are describing is more of a grease for the moving parts but the ones I have taken apart it looks to get spread out and on many other things. It is messy stuff! Once you touch it, it gets on everything and it's a pain to clean!

Hope fully the rubber seal you replaced lasts! The reproduction I put on was toast in a pretty short time and has a part missing from it already.

If only the lettering on the shifter lens are bad, you should be able to have a local vinyl graphics shop make new ones.

Have them match the size and font, then cut them out of the vinyl mirrored. That will put the adhesive on the face side so you can stick them to the underside of the lens. Once finished should look brand new and not cost more than say $20-$25 for the letters. Really more of a PITA for the shop than anything charge. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

It was some kind of hardened brown material. I couldn't scrape off with my fingernail or plastic razor. Was crusted over. Took awhile for the acetone to get it off. Oh, and there was not set screw on this. No screw at all on handle. I put in neutral, pulled up ebrake, pushed button in on knob and yanked it up. Did the reverse to put it back on. If I can't find a whole unit I'm going to do the decal thing. Thank you again for responding.