Close

Default Do you ever wonder what came of that car

I saw this car in a muscle mustang magazine from 1993 and I always wondered what happened to the car as time went on. Ton of fab work and just a overall eye catcher in my opinion
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I live in Charlotte too. Different opinions is what makes the world go around. Personally I hope someone put that poor car out of its misery and gave it a proper burial. It's not really their fault though. It was the time it was built. That car made maybe 250 HP. A stock 2019 Honda Odyssey minivan would absolutely annihilate it. It would still be nowhere near as cool but none the less.

So how do you really feel about it. Just kidding. I think is way cool and just wondering about it’s fate later in life.

All the time. Mostly I wonder about cars I've owned, but most of the ones I'd be interested in seeing again are probably cubes by now. I also wonder about various F/Zs I've known about that have been sold and disappeared into obscurity. Why isn't everyone online and enthusiastic about their cars, dammit?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I also wonder about various F/Zs I've known about that have been sold and disappeared into obscurity. Why isn't everyone online and enthusiastic about their cars, dammit?
    I agree Brad. There are a few cars over the last five or so years around me that I wonder what became of them. They were cool or could have been cool again but they just disappear after the ad goes away! Whether they sell, are kept or are taken to the recyclers is anyone's guess!

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    I live in Charlotte too. Different opinions is what makes the world go around. Personally I hope someone put that poor car out of its misery and gave it a proper burial. It's not really their fault though. It was the time it was built. That car made maybe 250 HP. A stock 2019 Honda Odyssey minivan would absolutely annihilate it. It would still be nowhere near as cool but none the less.
    Amen. Hideous.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

I guess I like a lot of shiny stuff on cars and the custom metal work involved in making it. I have sold 2 cars within the last 2 years that I often wonder what condition they are in now.

Quote Originally Posted by boogiestang View Post
    So how do you really feel about it. Just kidding. I think is way cool and just wondering about it’s fate later in life.
    Nothing wrong with that. I get what you are saying. It could've ended up as a $1,200 Craigslist find at some point. Who knows?

Lost and found. If you don't ask, you don't get.

Richard A Lentinello now works with Hemmings these days, and might know. He's a total car nut.

rlentinello@hemmings.com or if you prefer the old pen and paper method, kindly address your envelopes to: Richard Lentinello, Hemmings Motor News, P.O. Box 196, Bennington, Vermont 05201.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-car-Stang-Rod

Quote Originally Posted by DadBox View Post
    Anyone know anything at all about this car? I had scanned these images years ago but can't find the article. I think the guy who built it was a metal fabricator and the fenders are all steel. I think early nineties MM&FF Magazine.

Personal comment.

Customs are immortalized if they are 32 Fords, 49 Fords or 50-51 Mercs. You can lead sled and suicide door those, and just end up with true bliss. The Cobra Force Merc rates as awesome.

Comparatively, even a Miami Vice Ferrari Daytona rates as w@nk value, and a US mass produce Super Delux Ford with Sly Stone and a V8 upstages it as its yumped through the city streets. Probably why American sports cars are so rare, a main stream mass produced "hack job" ticks all the boxes in the minds of Real People. Its the Mercer Raceabout aspect of a plain jane chassis with a lot of performance, and its okay to flaunt it with just a few hard bits. An imported car just cannot be an All American Virility symbol.

The Ghia and Bertone "style house" Italianate cars from 1969 to 1981 all have corners on 'em, and the loved period of those was right in the gap of the end of the Knudsen snout era, and the start of the Screaming Baroque Lincoln's on the Panther and Fox frames.

Through it, Jack Talenack was in Australia when Toyota, Datsun, Honda, Isuzu and Mazda attempted to "automotively" invade the country with copied Italian box cars with flares, faired in lights, and wings. The GT2000, 510, S600 , 117 Coupe and Mazda R100 were Walter Mitty's of the Jag XK-E, Alfa Romeo 1750, Sunbeam Tiger, Aston Martin DBS and Mark I Lotus Cortina

The Fox Stang was truly international, better even than the import Capri & Capri II, and because Jack Talenak infused the American aesthetic under the Italian hardlines, it was a giant step onward and upwards from the Mustang II and FatStang.

When you customise a car like the 79-86's, you always risk overplaying it. The 1979 Mustang Daytona was an experiment with sexing up the colors, and smoothing out the traditional US love of Bill Mitchell style hard lines. The Stang Rod may have overplayed it, but the guards, doors and brandy-wine or whatever paint is bang on. Its the same as scissors doors on an Aero. In another 10 years, maybee some of us will think different.

At least homer302 has played his poetic oracle on the Stang Rod. Freedom of speech!

It's an homage to the Mustang Daytona in materials, hue and here's proof.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ytona-show-car

With a blend of prototype SVO flares

that slept with an M81/Enduro

Cosworth Capri

and IMSA GTO.....

If the doors are the issue, that's but a small thing...