Close

Default 94+ wheels on 87+ spindles help.

I’m trying to set up a basic 5 lug swap on my 85gt along w a set of 18” wheels. I’m not crazy about the cobra Rs or Pony wheels et. Etc. . And the 10th anniversary only come in 17s. I can read on LMRs website that the 18” SVE series wheels are listed for 94+ cars. The bolt pattern is the same as the 87+ along w size and offset. So I can pretty much assume it’s the hub size that’s different. is it simply the issue of the center cap not fitting due to the larger bearing housing on the 87+ spindles? I can live w no dust caps easier than I can live w running the same usual17s everyone else has.
    Thanks for the help
    Joe E.
    Last edited by joelliott; 01-05-2019 at 03:38 PM.

I received a set of wheels that I had previously cancelled per the Christmas holiday. They are TSW Chronos in 18x8.5 et 20 for the fronts. And 18x9.5 et 29 for the rear. I got nervosabout the hub issue w the older 87 spindles so I cancelled the order. Apparently they sent them out anyways. But this wheel has a 76.1mm center hole. Is that enough for the dust cap on the 87 spindles to poke through??
    Id like to post a pict but can’t remember how to do that here.
    Thanks
    Joe E.

I believe the center bore for the 79-93 Foxes is 63.4 mm.

The 94-04 center bore for the SN95 should be 70.3 mm.

The issue with using many of the later model wheels with the Fox spindles is that the snout is too long and the center cap will not fit because the snout sticks thru the wheel face. Depending on wheel width, offset/backspacing, etc. will determine if the wheels will work or not on your car.

If you have the wheels, just take them out of the box and slide them over the studs for a test fit. You will know immediately if they do or do not. If they don't you might be able to run a spacer for additional clearance, run without the dust cap (Don't recommend), of you might just have to go with another wheel choice. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for the reply. I’ve spent the last 2 days reading and reading but can’t seem to find the right info. If it’s just an issue of the center cap not being able to mount, then I’m good. The center caps on the front of my current cobra r’s can’t pop in either. But if it’s the diameter of the snout that’s too big, then there’s a real fitment issue. With the 94 plus wheels having a 73mm center bore, it’s hard to understand how the wheels couldn’t fit over a 64mm hub (of course w no center cap).

My car is currently at the shop getting a new clutch and cable plus starting the 5 lug swap so I can’t test fit the wheels I just received. Otherwise I’d be out there tinkering instead of on this damn computer lol.

But these wheels cost me nearly 300 a piece. I can get SVE wheels w tires for the same price from LMR but they claim on their web page they won’t fit. So I’m kinda stuck in between a rock and a hard place on if I should return these TSW wheels I just received or not.

Thanks for the help
    Joe E.
    Last edited by joelliott; 01-06-2019 at 04:43 AM.

Not sure what your relationship is with the shop doing your clutch, but if your car is going to be on the lift for that I would take one of the wheels to the shop and test fit it over the front spindle to verify at this point.

If you don't want to spend the $$ on the wheels, I completely understand, but ultimately it's your call on wheel choice.

The issue with the Fox spindles and many of the small center cap wheels is not only the length of the snout, but also how the snout flares out as you get closer to the wheel mounting face. I have had some aftermarket Cobra R wheels that would not sit flush to the mounting face because the hub bore hung up on the spindle snout due to the flare in the snout.

Bottom line is that in my experience you need to test fit your wheels to verify fitment and clearances. Unless you have done the exact setup before or are replicating a setup someone else has done before there are NO Guarantees. I even know of guys that have turned down the snout on the Fox rotors to gain clearance on some wheels. Not something generally recommended, but I can say it has been done before. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I am also looking at getting a custom set of wheels made for my 4 lugger. I will be updating to the 87 spindles and hubs and will have to measure the nose length. Want to be sure I can get the center caps on when spending that kind of money. Anyone already have these measurements?

Quote Originally Posted by saleen428 View Post
    I am also looking at getting a custom set of wheels made for my 4 lugger. I will be updating to the 87 spindles and hubs and will have to measure the nose length. Want to be sure I can get the center caps on when spending that kind of money. Anyone already have these measurements?
    Not to be overly critical, but why spend the $$ on custom wheels for the 4 lugger. I understand sticking with 4 lug to run stock or stock style replica wheels, but that's it. The 94-04 hubs, brakes, etc. are much better than any of the 87-93 stuff. Parts are easy to find at the local parts store. Maintenance is reduced, and honestly brake pad service is much easier.

Again sorry for being critical, but I doesn't make sense to me, but I am sure you have your reasons.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Fair question. I will be swapping the TRX back on the car depending on my mood and what’s going on. It’s all in my strategy.

I get what your saying about test fitting. It I’m in a bit of a special situation w my car. I was born and lived until I was 26 in Florida. I married a girl from Europe and eventually moved over seas. So I’m trying to get my dads old mustang (which I bought from him in 2002) back to it’s glory and shipped over to me. So everything I’m doing w parts, installation, etc is via the internet. My brother in law is my “go to” guy on the ground back in Florida. And the shop who’s doing the work is his private friend. It it’s about an hour away between the two. So me testing the wheels isn’t a possibility. Unfortunately. I’d like nothing more than to physically be there I assure you.

The wheels I have are TSW Chrono with a larger 76.1mm center bore. The 87-93 hubs appear to be 63,4mm. So I’m thinking my issue won’t be wheel to hub mounting but snout length meaning center cap mounting issues. I’ll be ok w that.

On LMRs website, it says the 5 lug conversion kit is comparable w 95 Cobra R wheels. They have a 70.3mm hub from what I could find on the net. So that reassures the idea that these TSW wheels w a 76.1 hub will be ok.

Does that sound reasonable??? Lol.
    Joe E.

Ok, makes more sense now. Well good luck with the project and let us know how everything works out.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Yes, I just recently purchased new 5 lug wheels too and it is confusing about what fits and what doesn't with Fox spindles versus SN95 spindles. It sounds like the choices are much greater with the SN95 spindles vs the Fox spindles. Though I have heard of people using a 1/4 inch wheel spacer for some of the 94 plus wheels to allow the center cap to fit if they are using Fox spindles.

I have kept my wheel choices safe and I have polished Cobra Rs and black 10th Anny wheels for my 82 GT and am running Fox spindles. I may explore other options down the road.
    Current Mustangs:
    82 Silver GT - 5.0L crate motor, Tremec 3550 5 spd tranny, SVO brake kit, 8.8 rear end with 373s
    05 Legend Lime Fastback - some mods
    05 Screaming Yellow Vert - even more mods including Edelbrock blower

I've seen guys run a freeze plug for the dust cap and run 94+ rims on Fox spindles and mark7 brakes
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    I've seen guys run a freeze plug for the dust cap and run 94+ rims on Fox spindles and mark7 brakes
    Not sure what you mean by freeze plug? What is it and what does it do?
    Current Mustangs:
    82 Silver GT - 5.0L crate motor, Tremec 3550 5 spd tranny, SVO brake kit, 8.8 rear end with 373s

Quote Originally Posted by 5pointoh View Post
    Not sure what you mean by freeze plug? What is it and what does it do?
    Guys use a freeze plug to cap the end of the rotor at the spindle rather than the dust cap. In my experience you will have to trim the tip off the spindle since it generally protrudes past the end of the rotor face. Not a big deal, but another modification.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Guys use a freeze plug to cap the end of the rotor at the spindle rather than the dust cap. In my experience you will have to trim the tip off the spindle since it generally protrudes past the end of the rotor face. Not a big deal, but another modification.
    This is a brilliant solution. Will keep this in mind if I need that extra space

Ive talked w a number of guys on FB about their cars etc. The summary seems to be that the LMR site lists wheels they know work with the proper center bore for fox spindles. If you use the 94-04 wheels they have, some can actually fit if you shave a few mm off the fox hub or the backside of the wheel. The SVE series 1-3 wheels for example. They physically fit the hub but hit the angled area where the hub attaches to the fox spindle due to their 70.1mm center bore. The last group of wheels are those with 76.1mm center bores. They in theory should bolt up without problems. Issue is the hub might protrude past the center cap so it cannot click in. That’s the situation I’m in. My TSW wheels are 18x8.5/10 and have the large 76mm center. Ill have to figure somethong put with the cap. But its more important to me that the stance is right and unique. I hope it works. Lol.
    Joe E.

Now the question I’m on to is do 245/40/18s fit best with my 18x8.5 wheels w et20? Along w 285/35/18s on my 18x9.5 et 19 wheels??? I’m not a skinny tire and the 255/40/17s I have now are too low profile. It they also have to turn. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by joelliott View Post
    Now the question I’m on to is do 245/40/18s fit best with my 18x8.5 wheels w et20? Along w 285/35/18s on my 18x9.5 et 19 wheels??? I’m not a skinny tire and the 255/40/17s I have now are too low profile. It they also have to turn. Lol.
    Your wheel widths have a 1” difference so what ever tire width should be about 25mm difference to keep the sidewall angles as similar as possible.
    Every tire manufacturers sizes have variances as you know so unless you have them on hand there is no absolute guarantee but the above will give best to get it close

You may get some rub with 245s in the front though there may be ways to minimize it (i.e. steering rack limiters, wheel spacer) and guys have put 285s in the back on foxes but 275 would be a safer bet.
    Current Mustangs:

Quote Originally Posted by joelliott View Post
    Ive talked w a number of guys on FB about their cars etc. The summary seems to be that the LMR site lists wheels they know work with the proper center bore for fox spindles. If you use the 94-04 wheels they have, some can actually fit if you shave a few mm off the fox hub or the backside of the wheel. The SVE series 1-3 wheels for example. They physically fit the hub but hit the angled area where the hub attaches to the fox spindle due to their 70.1mm center bore. The last group of wheels are those with 76.1mm center bores. They in theory should bolt up without problems. Issue is the hub might protrude past the center cap so it cannot click in. That’s the situation I’m in. My TSW wheels are 18x8.5/10 and have the large 76mm center. Ill have to figure somethong put with the cap. But its more important to me that the stance is right and unique. I hope it works. Lol.
    Joe E.
    Just confirming with you what would need to be done to get a LMR Series 3 wheel to fit then?
    Current Mustangs:

Well I ordered the tires. Want to try it. General G-Max RS XL. 245/40/18 and 285/35/18. They had quite good reviews around the net. Seems to be a stable tire with good bite. I originally planned on LMRs Sumitomo zii but the reviews around the net were pretty consistent in that they had traction problems under power. I don’t need that issue with a kid in my car. Had a cool tread pattern tho. Lol. I also have 3” lug bolts being pressed in the brakes and axles to I can add a spacer when needed.

The series 3 wheels have a bit smaller hub center than my TSWs. One gentleman I spoke with said he did the LMR 5 lug 87-93 swap. It had to file down the wheel about 3 mm where it sits in the hub. The hub could pass through the wheel center but the weld where the hub meets the brake rotor was alittle too thick for his wheel to seat properly. He grinder that 3mm off the back of the wheel around the hub and it could fit.

Joe E.