Close

Default Subframe connector fitment

I got a set of full length subframe connectors for Christmas. Yaay. When I fit them tight to the front rails they are 1-1/2 inches down in the back away from touching the back rails. Anyone else have problems like this or is it normal and I just have to tweak them or what?
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

Cool Christmas gift! What brand did you get? Convertible or hard top?

As for the install, How are you supporting the car? If the car is not stripped to a shell you should have the suspension fully loaded on a level surface,ie on the wheels and tires. If the car isn't tweaked, you have set up right for the install and the connectors aren't MM's then I would suspect you may need to "reform".
    Maybe some pics would be of help. I don't think that tacking the front and forcing them up is a good approach in this case due to the large gap you are experiencing. I've installed 4 or five sets of these on my own and customers cars and have never had a gap bigger than 1/4-3/8".

Again pics would be helpful.

I'm not sure of make. They came from CJ Pony parts. It is a hard top. It is a complete car. The front wheels are on ramps and the rear axle is on jackstands. I dont have a lift. I'm thinking about setting the car back down on the ground and see if the gap changes.
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

Sounds like you have them on upside down or backwards.
    Currently Foxless

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    I'm not sure of make. They came from CJ Pony parts. It is a hard top. It is a complete car. The front wheels are on ramps and the rear axle is on jackstands. I dont have a lift. I'm thinking about setting the car back down on the ground and see if the gap changes.
    As long as the car is level and you have the jack stands as far to the outside of the car as you can get them you should be fine and the gap shouldn't change. Sounds like you will have to adjust the connectors to get them to fit closer. Make sure that you have them orientated properly first though!

FEP Senior Member

I had a similar issue with mine fitting my frame rails in the rear and slightly outboard. I used my cut-off wheel to take a small pie cut out of the connector, bent it into position, then rewelded it. You can try to use a jack to force the connector in place while you weld, but a small cut will take all tension out of the connector. Make the cut, put the connector in place, then weld as much of the connector back together as possible. Then remove. finish welding the connector before installing it 100%. I have it documented on my YouTube channel from ~2 years ago with the MM connectors.