Close

Default Proportioning valve confusion

So I am almost done my sn95 brake upgrade and now the question of the proportioning valve. I sat down and read through old threads and I am still confused. Can I just plumb in a p/v from a 94-95 car or do I have to use an adjustable one? This car is not goin racing by any means keep in mind lol.
    Anything helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Proportioning Valve is specific to the vehicle due to front caliper, rear caliper, M/C, center of gravity, weight of vehicle, etc. ONCE you start changing things the Prop valve is not longer "accurate".

Can the 94/95 Prop Valve work and be "Close" sure Maybe. But the best option is still to gut the stock Prop Valve or just install a T fitting, etc. as needed for plumbing of the brake lines. Then install an Adjustable Proportioning Valve either in the rear brake line fitting under the passenger side hood hinge or directly below the M/C if you installed T fittings instead of the stock proportioning valve.

Read the instructions that come with the Prop Valve and go thru the procedure to adjust the valve correct to insure the rear brakes operate correctly. Once adjusted properly this will prevent the rear brakes from applying before the front brakes, which will provide the proper brake balance front to rear. Hope that makes things a bit clearer.

In My Opinion the best course of action when modifying/swapping out brakes on any vehicle is to gut or remove the OEM Proportioning Valve and install an Adjustable Proportioning Valve, no matter the vehicle the brake configuration, etc. Once you start modifying brakes and vehicles all the OEM setup really becomes obsolete. Add to this engine changes, suspension changes, ride height changes, wheel/tire changes, then nothing is as when the engineer designed the car and it left the factory. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks man. That helps clarify things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Proportioning Valve is specific to the vehicle due to front caliper, rear caliper, M/C, center of gravity, weight of vehicle, etc. ONCE you start changing things the Prop valve is not longer "accurate".

Can the 94/95 Prop Valve work and be "Close" sure Maybe. But the best option is still to gut the stock Prop Valve or just install a T fitting, etc. as needed for plumbing of the brake lines. Then install an Adjustable Proportioning Valve either in the rear brake line fitting under the passenger side hood hinge or directly below the M/C if you installed T fittings instead of the stock proportioning valve.

Read the instructions that come with the Prop Valve and go thru the procedure to adjust the valve correct to insure the rear brakes operate correctly. Once adjusted properly this will prevent the rear brakes from applying before the front brakes, which will provide the proper brake balance front to rear. Hope that makes things a bit clearer.

In My Opinion the best course of action when modifying/swapping out brakes on any vehicle is to gut or remove the OEM Proportioning Valve and install an Adjustable Proportioning Valve, no matter the vehicle the brake configuration, etc. Once you start modifying brakes and vehicles all the OEM setup really becomes obsolete. Add to this engine changes, suspension changes, ride height changes, wheel/tire changes, then nothing is as when the engineer designed the car and it left the factory. Good Luck!
    So then I have the rear disc brakes and cables from that 95 GT parts car, I have the stock 86 valve but the stock M/C and the 95 M/C was leaking, So should I go with say a new 1990 M/C and get the adjustable valve?
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    So then I have the rear disc brakes and cables from that 95 GT parts car, I have the stock 86 valve but the stock M/C and the 95 M/C was leaking, So should I go with say a new 1990 M/C and get the adjustable valve?
    Ok, so you are running 95 GT rear brakes. What front brakes are you running? You want to size the M/C to work correctly with your new caliper setup front and rear.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Stock 7/8 MC works with stock proportioning valve and stock front 60mm calipers and SN95 rear disc better than factory — but it’s far from ideal

upgrade Mc, get adjustable valve

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Ok, so you are running 95 GT rear brakes. What front brakes are you running? You want to size the M/C to work correctly with your new caliper setup front and rear.
    I have the 1994 GT front brake set up, I just ordered the ford racing adjustable valve and a stock 7/8" M/C
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    I have the 1994 GT front brake set up, I just ordered the ford racing adjustable valve and a stock 7/8" M/C
    Then I would gut the original proportioning valve and install the adjustable unit on the passenger side union by the hood hinge going to the rear brakes. This will be the easiest way to plumb everything and not have to worry about fitting sizes, flare types, etc. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

great thanks Trey, I took apart the original proportioning valve and it was so corroded and jammed I couldnt get the guts out.....lol
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

If you get persistent with it the stupid thing will eventually come apart. I had to twist on mine a lot as I pulled, then it finally came apart.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

its just too far gone, the threads are shot so ill just get another one.....
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

You have the 94 GT parts car, you could just use the front brake lines, prop valve, and M/C from the parts car if you want.

Using the front lines might make things a bit easier overall in regards to connecting the front calipers. I am not sure if the rear brake line routes the same as the Fox, but that's an easy fix either way.

The M/C is a 1 1/16" bore, so the pedal travel will most likely be shorter than the 22mm (@7/8") Fox bore, but will work just fine. It's a personal preference deal for most. Just another option that might save you time and $$. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

no the parts car is gone, but i did save the brake booster and the M/C but it was leaking so I just got a new one. the front brakes were done months ago, they are all good to go now just working on the M/c and the prop. valve...... and the ECU harness to the main harness connection near the booster I HATE IT! cant find no diagrams on what wire goes where I knew I should have left the capri in the dessert lol
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Don't try to use an SN95 proportioning valve and front brake lines in a Fox application. The lines are routed differently and almost of the fittings are Metric ISO bubble flare. This makes things much more difficult to deal with.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    Don't try to use an SN95 proportioning valve and front brake lines in a Fox application. The lines are routed differently and almost of the fittings are Metric ISO bubble flare. This makes things much more difficult to deal with.
    Oh no, still have the stock 86 lines as they are still good
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009