Close

Default Can I swap in the entire drivetrain , k member and front suspension of a Sn95 5.0 AUT

Best wishes for 2019
    There's a 1995 5.0GT AUT for sale locally.
    I want to buy that for the rear axle, complete front suspension and if it can be done within reason, the engine with transmission.
    I fear the transmission (AODE?) Does not fit the tunnel of my 1979.
    Anyone around that can advise me?
    Sorry, here mustangs are rare. No people that have done this or knowledgeable around. I searched the forum, but did not find a topic on the AODE swap. Though I recall someone mentioning it.
    Thanks.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

The rear mount for the K member on the early cars is narrower than the later model 4 Eyes and Aero cars. I am not sure that there is much difference in the tunnel on the 79 model compared to the later model Foxes. Worse case you may need to do a little clearancing with a BFH.

You can make the 95 K member fit your 79, although it may be better to just use the original K member. Honestly you will most likely have to just fit it and see how different the two are. The rest of the front suspension will swap over. The 94-04 use the longer front control arms so that will affect your tire size, offset, and clearance. Generally as long as you run a 7-8" wheel up front you should be fine. The 95 wheels should fit without any real issues. I have run the same on my 79 PC several times.

You can swap over the entire engine with EFI, etc. if you like. You will just need to either use the OEM wiring, Aero model wiring, or buy an aftermarket wiring such as Ron Francis, Painless, or others. That the general overview. There are more details, but the swap isn't that hard to accomplish. 2ndchancecobra has done much of this swap IIRC, so you might check his thread. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Read 2ndChanceCobra's build thread. He completed fitting everything from a 1995 into his 1979 Cobra. There were modifications required at the mount points as Trey mentioned. I believe his thread shows detailed pictures if memory serves me correctly.

Trey, erratic50,
    Thanks for the input.
    Going through 2ndchancecobra's build, quite a long read. That man is fearless when it comes tot carbody work
    Hope my frame rails is in better shape when it will be torn down for paint this or next year.
    Car up for sale is a bit too nice to butcher for parts, therefore pricey. But the cheapest around still.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Best wishes for 2019
    There's a 1995 5.0GT AUT for sale locally.
    I want to buy that for the rear axle, complete front suspension and if it can be done within reason, the engine with transmission.
    I fear the transmission (AODE?) Does not fit the tunnel of my 1979.
    Anyone around that can advise me?
    Sorry, here mustangs are rare. No people that have done this or knowledgeable around. I searched the forum, but did not find a topic on the AODE swap. Though I recall someone mentioning it.
    Thanks.

The changes to the hard dimensions are only in the transmission cross member area. Crossmember is best modified to suit.

Everything else swaps over if you use the right parts.

There is a mismatch only when using all the SN95 and K member gear.

Its hard to package everything under the front fender guards. If you use the stock SN95 parts, you have to select the right wider front track and the steering bump steer problems with using the whole 95 K member and its lower links. The steering column link and some of the air bag and column stuff don't swap over easily.