Close

Default 1983 manufacture date

I have an '83 Mustang, V8, T-tops, T5 conversion that I want to buy some new front brake calipers for. Apparently they changed mid year somewhat but I can't find any info on when the car was built. VIN is 1FABP28F6DF123531. Does anyone know how to find out?

The VIN does not contain exact build date data.

The month and year of build is on the driver's door data tag.
    Can go by that to order parts if build month is clearly before or after the caliper change-over month.

Ordering a Marti report will pin the exact build date of the car.
    A very cool item worth the money.
    Especially valuable if build month on door tag is same month as caliper change-over month.

Then hopefully info as to the caliper change-over date is as accurate.

Otherwise, go with a parts counter matchup to the old ones. Or buy both versions, return the mismatch.
    One problem with this way is if the calipers were replaced. Were correct replacements installed?
    Last edited by gr79; 01-02-2019 at 02:13 AM.

Thanks for the info. The original door tag appears to be missing unfortunately. I'll get a report and see what that tells me.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Solow302 View Post
    I have an '83 Mustang, V8, T-tops, T5 conversion that I want to buy some new front brake calipers for. Apparently they changed mid year somewhat but I can't find any info on when the car was built. VIN is 1FABP28F6DF123531. Does anyone know how to find out?
    Mine was built 12/82, with a consecutive unit number of 139XXX. At 123531, yours was built much earlier, likely in October or November. Good luck to you.
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 01-16-2019 at 06:26 PM. Reason: sp