Close

Thread: Help!!

New User

Default Help!!

My LTD squeals like a banshee. The drive belt pulley is bad. Someone found the part on rockauto, so I ordered it. Looking at it and the part on the car... they don't look the same size.
    Trying to research this part has been an absolute nightmare. Advance, Oreilly, Autozone say the part doesn't exist pretty much.
    One parts website said there is a pulley but for cars after March 1983...mine was build Feb 1983. What changed? I have NO clue.
    Hayden auto parts said the pulley for my car is #5959. That's just a pulley, no bracket. The part I do have is the whole assembly. Again, I'm not sure it will work...
    To remove this pulley assembly, is there a socket or wrench to go on the back side for the nut? I don't want to remove the bolt and have the nut drop off in the engine never to be seen again... Or, do the bolts just screw in with no nut on the backside? I like to make sure I know what I'm getting into before I start tearing stuff apart.

The Hayden part I have is #5964. Of course, www.fordparts.com looks at me like I'm crazy when I try to use my VIN or anything to search for parts info on there... So hoping SOMEONE here has done this job before and knows what's involved. I've never had so much trouble locating a part before in my life...

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Hard to help you without knowing what part you have. So what Dorman part did you order? Do you have a picture of what you ordered compared to what's on the engine now?

And FWIW, you'll probably find your threads generate more responses if you use a more descriptive thread subject/title. A generic subject like "Help!!" doesn't let anyone know what the thread is about. As other members scan through the list of threads, they'll be more likely to click on a thread subject that interests them or that they feel they can contribute to. As a moderator on another forum for a number of years, I've seen this effect time and time again.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Well said Patrick

As for the issue, pictures help big time.