Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

Default 1986 FHP saved, gets a lengthy makeover

A buddy of mine sent me a link about a guy on FB had an 86 four-eyed coupe for sale locally. The guy claimed it was a former Florida highway patrol car, I was skeptical, but have a soft spot in my head for four-eyed cars, and I've always wanted a coupe, so set up a time to meet him. When he pulled up the car was smoking, had a dead miss, and just looked rough. He wanted my '05 Sport trac, but we were too far apart on value, and he didn't have any loot to kick in, so we went our separate ways. When I got home I started scheming, I wanted to rescue that car....my son had an '04 V6 mustang he was using as a driver until we got his capri done. So I made him a deal, if we traded the '04 for the FHP car, I'd build him an engine for his 94GT. He agreed, I called the FHP owner, and the next day I drove this turd home.

The first thing I did was pull all the trunk liners out because they were wet, then I temporarily sealed the holes from the antennas. RTV works better than masking tape...LOL!! Next I pulled the plugs and found the rear ones oil fouled, ended up pulling the Performer RPM intake, and found the oil baffle for the PCV wasn't installed. I threw on one of my old ported explorer intakes, and stuck a chip in the processor, along with 24# injectors, just because the stock 19s were most likely the originals from 193K miles, or is it 293K? It's been running good, I took it to the track and it made a few passes, best was 8.87@78 or thereabouts. Ran it on the dyno and it squeaked out a 234RWHP, and 290RWTQ. I've got it in the garage now doing a quick 5-lug swap, and putting longtubes on it.
    Here's some track video, making a couple runs against Pirate Mike's super clean 86 LX.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EBydvcugVs
    Last edited by David Claflin; 05-05-2019 at 05:24 PM.
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

Glovebox medallion

What I cleaned out of the cowl, and behind drivers side fender. Had to pull the hood hinge off of the passenger side as leaves and junk were packed in so tight airpressure and vacuum wouldn't get it out.
    Last edited by David Claflin; 01-30-2019 at 01:46 AM.
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

Low dollar sway bar bushing fix, remember what I said about rescue....

I think this isn't supposed to be this way.

Dyno sheet. This is with a bone stock 193K+ mile short block, and heads, only changes to the car are a ported explorer lower, 80MM TB, chip, shorty headers, off-road H-pipe, and flowmaster 2 1/2" catback.

Last edited by David Claflin; 01-30-2019 at 01:51 AM.

Good looking dyno numbers and a great project

Front swaybar links should come off before dragstrip sessions — hugely helps the 60’ times.

Enjoyed the video - thanks for sharing.

Given you mentioned 5 lug and have the spindles pulled I’m assuming you’re doing it via SN95 parts

Having helped with several and done my 86GT myself ..... some thoughts

Be sure when you 5 lug swap it to use the correct spindle for the K member you are running. Most aftermarket stuff uses 96+ and stock needs 94-95. Odds are good that you will need camber bolts in one hole on the spindle to get enough negative camber.

Really great time to replace bushings on the control arms. Great benefits from going to a low friction SN95 style balljoint.

Steeda makes a longer balljoint (“X2”) that is designed to help with the bumpsteer curve while using SN95 spindles with Fox outer tierod ends on a foxbody.

Maximum Motorsports makes an SN95 specific bumpsteer kit which works great with normal SN95 balljoints. That’s what many recommend

my answer to bushings and balljoints these days is buy the replacement control arms from parts geek or rock auto then press out the older fox style balljoints and put in SN95’s. Saves a ton of time and doesn’t cost much more in the scheme of things.

Baer makes a nice drilled/slotted rotor for 99-04 Mustang that works well with the SN95 spindle. Stoptech one that’s slotted but not drilled

Hawk HPs or stoptech pads work great

99-04 dual piston caliper works great, but you have to grind down the bump on the spindle to use them

LMR carries a plug for the stock proportioning valve that works good. Adjustable is needed - I put mine in at the brake line union by the passenger hood hinge

Line adapter or a re-double flare job is needed on the passenger side brake line

M1858 or 1973 Torino master cyl works good with the stock booster — these are a 1” bore. I avoid metric and I avoid plastic. I’ve gotten my brakes hot enough to boil the fluid in the lines before due to an almost unnoticeably hung caliper, nearly crashed my car in that adventure. Metal dissipates heat better than plastic so in the event of a similar problem metal will keep the brakes working longer than they would have otherwise with plastic..... my thought anyway

Braided steel brake hoses in front help a ton

Out back the SN95 rear brakes work well. Mosier Fox width axles with SN95 flanges are the best setup I’ve seen for that part. North Racecar for the brackets and ebrake cables, etc

SN95 GTs use a thicker vented rotor with a thinner pad. More prone to cracking but a slightly better rear brake. The regular ventless are more than enough until something is done to combat brake dive.

use a modern fluid while you’re at it — it’s a big upgrade too
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-22-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Dang Dave. You looking to start competing for fox cars with Mike and Rodney?

Do you have a shot of the buck tag?
    Last edited by Zap's 85 GT; 12-30-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Erratic 50, yeah I had the swaybar off before going to the track. Yes I'm using SN components, and have the dual piston front calipers already. I've done a few conversions, I've used the SN booster, proportioning valve and use the '99 V6 mustang master cylinder. Doing the same on this one, but using a manual prop valve so can turn down the rear bias, that way the clutch don't get so hot doing the burnout.

Quote Originally Posted by Zap's 85 GT View Post
    Dang Dave. You looking to start competing for fox cars with Mike and Rodney?

Do you have a shot of the buck tag?
    LOL!, nope, those guys are in the double digit range, I'll be at less than half of those two.
    Not gotten to the buck tag yet, eventually will. Herbie will be painting this sometime later this summer, going back to the original sand beige.
    Welded in some holes in the floorboard tonight where some stuff was apparently mounted to the driveshaft hump. It must be leaking where the spot light was because the carpet and soundproofing at the front were saturated, so will have to fix that too. Get to play with some POR15 tomorrow.

I'm putting new steering rack, balljoints, tie rod ends and other stuff that is plain wore out, should drive a lot better, and not feel like all four wheels are trying to go in different directions when rolling down the street.

Inner tie rod ends are almost always shot on used foxes in FL.

Check the under the bottom of the windshield trim and inner cowl for rust. That 86 SVO I bought had a totally rotten cowl area. Never seen another fox like it but it was a northern FL car for many years. Guy tried using tarred roofing panels to stop it leaking. Rotted the floor too from all the water. Nobody wanted the darn thing even for $250 so I scrapped it.

I've got both fenders, and the cowl grille off to clean all the leaves and crap that accumulates in the cowl area, and back of the fenders, that's what that one pic above is from. Something I do with every car I get. It's got some started in there, but nothing serious, so appear to have caught it in time.

Took the buck tags off today and bead blasted them, they'll go back on when it gets painted.
    I'm curious, the paint code for black is correct at 1C, but they call the other color cream white, when it's listed as 8L sand beige.
    http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/1...ngcolors.shtml
    Last edited by David Claflin; 01-01-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Claflin View Post
    I'm curious, the paint code for black is correct at 1C, but they call the other color cream white, when it's listed as 8L sand beige.[/url]
    "CREAM" is the special paint code name.
    "WT1077" is the special paint code.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    So desert beige isn't what this came with from the factory, or is it just semantics? It "looks" like the underhood areas, and doors were originally black, under the trim around the door opening it's the offwhite/light tan color. Can't see FHP or whoever did the painting for them to spend much time spraying behind the door jambs.

Name:  1986_00037_01.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  154.6 KB

Did a search for that paint code and found this site, maybe a cream color would be more unique than sand beige. Guy in Pensacola has a coupe painted sand beige now.

https://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorco...page=2&rows=50

Update on the car too, pulled the 3.73 geared rear out and put in one with a 4.56 gearset, and a rebuilt 31 spline track lock with C-clip eliminators. Waiting for a track day where weather will cooperate, looks like next Tuesday will be first day.
    Last edited by David Claflin; 07-30-2019 at 06:49 PM.

I'm curious if that WT 1077 Cream is similar to the Mimosa Yellow on the 1988s, with just a different name.

https://mustangattitude.com/mustang/...ngcolors.shtml

I'm curious if that WT 1077 Cream is similar to the Mimosa Yellow on the 1988s, with just a different name.

https://mustangattitude.com/mustang/...ngcolors.shtml
    mustangattitude got the name wrong. It's not Mimosa Yellow. They copied it from somebody else that got it wrong.

66 = Tropical Yellow

Ford paint code for (66) Tropical Yellow was M6316.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

In his defense, the battery tray didn't move around, but still.....

I'm assuming sand beige was the official color code for the generic term of "cream white".

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/for...rol-coupe.html
    Last edited by Zap's 85 GT; 01-02-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zap's 85 GT View Post
    I'm assuming sand beige was the official color code for the generic term of "cream white".

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/for...rol-coupe.html
    Probably, but leave it to government to specify tan cars, then paint 3/4 of it black..

Pulled the headliner because all of the material was sagging, thought maybe I could shoot some glue on it and it would be OK. Nope, backing foam is all detiorated, so that will need to go to my upholstery guy along with the drivers seat. Looking at how they "patched" the holes for the antennas, I see why it leaked though. Jam paper towel into the hole, then lay bondo over the top of that.

A pic of the infamous SSP car's floorboard bracing, for when they do wheelies. You'll notice whoever put the carpet in before was kind enough to use plenty of glue for that job.
    Last edited by David Claflin; 01-02-2019 at 09:17 PM.

Quality repair there.

My coupe also had the drivers seat bracing. Does not look as wide to the outer frame rail as in your car, but it's something more than regular cars had. Maybe what it went to by the time 88 came around. It was originally sold in Canada with a kph speedometer but not as any sort of SSP. It did have a second buck tag with Road Abrasion stamped in it.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/uP...w2048-h1536-no
    Last edited by Zap's 85 GT; 01-06-2019 at 04:00 PM.

I've got the interior out, heater box is out, SN power brake booster is ready to go in, tarpaper is mostly scraped off, POR15 on the rust spots, little more welding to do on holes, and final paint of floorboards with oil based rustoleum.

Dearborn painted it, not FHP.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Dearborn painted it, not FHP.
    That makes the most sense, FHP purchased big enough chunks of cars they could get Ford to do some special work for them.

Good times going on here, still digging sound deadener off, and welding the holes shut from where stuff was mounted to the floorboard.

Finally got the tarpaper off floor, except for very top of the trans tunnel, holes welded shut, and por15 on suspect rust spots, rustoleum on the rest. After two days that dried, so I could get the carpet in and laid out to flatten it. Have to cut the hole out for the shifter, and e-brake handle.

Also mounted the 3G, so decided to get rid of some excess wire out of the wiring harness. Radiator is out, that aluminum aftermarket onr with the dual fans is going into my son's 86 Capri, I'll put a part store replacement in this with an electric fan mounted in the stock shroud.

This is what the trunk area looks like before getting it cleaned up. Have some holes to weld shut in this area, and mount the battery box too.

Made some good progress today, got the old K-member off, putting on a 91 k-member as they space the tires out a bit more. First pic is reason #345,678 why women live longer than men. FYI it's a ton easier putting longtubes on when there's no k-member.

In this you can see how much wider the '87 up k-members control arm bolts are, compared to the 79-86 cars. I'm going to use an 85 Mustang K-member on the dugan wagon, (mostly because I welded everything up and had it powder coated) I'll just use SN control arms on it.

FEP Supporter

First pic is reason #345,678 why women live longer than men.

Had to laugh at that! You are giving all of the secrets to the book of life out. I haven't gotten that far!

Great, fast progress. Can't wait to see more. I think I need to change a heater core out and your interior pic with the dash partially off makes removing it to access the core look SO easy!

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Had to laugh at that! You are giving all of the secrets to the book of life out. I haven't gotten that far!

Great, fast progress. Can't wait to see more. I think I need to change a heater core out and your interior pic with the dash partially off makes removing it to access the core look SO easy!
    I don't even know all of the secrets, just trying to make things work. Not making progress fast enough.
    Missed the first part of this week due to knee issues. I did get most of the battery cables routed last night, accidentally (thankfully) found a spot in the cowl that had a couple pinholes which allowed rainwater to leak onto carpet above pedal assy. Hopefully can get those issues remedied today, once it warms up. Would normally have been out there for a couple hours already, but it's 30 something outside right now, cold for NW Florida, so I'm pussing out and being inside this morning doing some piddly stuff in the attached garage, that's heated..LOL!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast