Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Motor mount help( not lining up)

As the title says I bought some budget motor mounts off of rock auto. Pioneer mounts part #602725 and 602726. Was going to go more expensive ones but was told and read that getting the cheap convertable ones for 93 was the way to go. Anyways got them and went to install. Right side one will is pretty close to fitting but will need to be bent in a bit to bolt up. The left side however is a bigger problem. The bolt holes are nowhere near fitting and not sure that they can be bent to fit. Did rock auto screw up and send me wrong one or is this common ? Can anyone offer any advice on what to do?
    Here is a pic of the left mount. It pushed to the back of the block and you can see how far the hole is away from the hole in the block.
    Thanks guys
    Attachment 125648
    Attachment 125649
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 12-29-2018 at 04:12 PM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I have never used the Pioneer brand of motor mounts, but I have had good luck with the Anchor brand. One occasion, I have had to grind/clearance a tab or two for the best fit, but generally nothing major.

I can't tell from the pictures and you may have the correct, but I do recommend making absolutely sure that you have the correct mount on the correct side of the engine. I personally have installed them backwards a time or two with the engine on the stand. That might be part of the fitment issue, but I can't say for sure. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I have never used the Pioneer brand of motor mounts, but I have had good luck with the Anchor brand. One occasion, I have had to grind/clearance a tab or two for the best fit, but generally nothing major.

I can't tell from the pictures and you may have the correct, but I do recommend making absolutely sure that you have the correct mount on the correct side of the engine. I personally have installed them backwards a time or two with the engine on the stand. That might be part of the fitment issue, but I can't say for sure. Good Luck!
    Ok thanks Trey I will check. What are the differences between the 2 to know correct side for sure? Only way I can tell is by looking at pics on rock auto
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 12-29-2018 at 07:12 PM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I generally look at the stud and the nub on the motor mount in relationship to the K member to make sure you have them on the correct side. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Have seen parts like this that have RH or LH molded in the rubber or marked somewhere as.

Also don’t be afraid to push/pull/pry on the motor to get it to align.

FYI I purchased the same Pioneer motor mounts as an inexpensive option to try out and have the exact same issue as Sask84gt when I checked the fitment on a spare block. The passenger side seem to fit somewhat OK but the driver side will not line up or fit properly. I made sure the mounts are on the correct sides with the k member bolt forward on the mount etc.

It almost looks like the driver side mount holes are not drilled in the correct spot. Also the driver mount does not look symmetrical with the passenger as though it isn't the right one ? So...bottom line in my opinion is these are overall poor quality and/or not proper fitment and be careful if you are considering these.

Name:  GOAJ1063.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  57.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ya I'm not too happy and considering that I've read that all those cheap brands are made by the same place it does not instill to much confidence in spending another 50 bucks on some other cheap brand.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    Ya I'm not too happy and considering that I've read that all those cheap brands are made by the same place it does not instill to much confidence in spending another 50 bucks on some other cheap brand.
    Have you thought about solid motor mounts. You can get a pair from lmr for 43$. I bought a pair and had no problems.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ya actually I did originally but read that there is more vibration caused than the non solid. Figured solid are more for drag than street.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

You can return the parts to Rock Auto. You can inform them the parts Do Not Fit. They should pay for return shipping. I personally would exchange them for the Anchor brand of motor mounts. I have used them several times without issues. Haven't installed a pair in a few years, so things might have changed, but didn't have issues before.

I just went thru the return issues with Rock Auto on a brand new washer pump for my daughter's car that was bad right out of the box. Filled out the questions online, printed off the mailing label, stuffed it in a box, and shipped it back. Once the tracking number showed up on their system as being shipped they shipped out my replacement. Pretty easy and without any drama IMHO. I returned a part before that I ordered incorrectly. I had to pay return shipping, but I used the "Deduct from my refund" option and RA provided a shipping label at a cost that was probably 1/4 or less than what it would have cost me to pay UPS/FED EX/USPS directly. Really not a difficult process, yes it takes a few days, but not the end of the world. Not sure what additional headaches being in Canada might add, but worth a look IMHO. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Yeah not a knock on Rock Auto for these really. I am thinking it is a bit of a quality issue with the pioneer brand perhaps. I have had overall good luck and experiences with parts I have purchased at Rock Auto for sure.

Good point on returns if it will not cost any shipping. Come to think of it I did return a carb core to Rock Auto a while back using their shipping label process and they deducted the return shipping from my credit. However most times on the cheaper parts this will not be worth it so the tendency is to just not bother and especially since the shipping costs are probably incrementally higher across the border.

Funny...it looks like the anchor brand for these mounts are actually on sale right now for cheap haha !!

Ya, not sure it's going to be worth it for me because I actually get things shipped to a US address which is picked up by family members so I'm pretty sure I'd end up paying some kind of shipping to return them. I will look into it however.

Ya those anchor ones are pretty cheap. Under 10 bucks canadian but that is for regular inventory which I'm not sure really matters. Private label is like 16 so not sure what the deal with that is.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I had horrible experiences with Anchor as well as DEA brands similar to what you are experiencing with these Pioneers. The mounts were either misshapen or the mounting holes mis located. One pair caused the car to vibrate so bad at idle that the dash screws loosened up. Went through a ton of troubleshooting before isolating the issue back to the mounts. YMMV

Ya I've read that a lot. I might just pick up a set of maximum motorsports solid mounts and be done with it. Car is not going to have a ton of hp so hopefully vibration will be at a minimum.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I would go with either convertible mounts or polyurethane from one of the Mustang parts places like LMR. Solid mounts are gonna cause quite a bit of vibration

Quote Originally Posted by saleen428 View Post
    I would go with either convertible mounts or polyurethane from one of the Mustang parts places like LMR. Solid mounts are gonna cause quite a bit of vibration
    Ya well if you read reviews the heavy duty motor mounts from lmr have fit issues just like the ones from rock auto and they say in the description that these are the same as you would get at a auto parts store and that there is only one manufacturer that makes these. So I'm done with those type. Only option imo now is to either spend a couple hundred on a energy suspension set from summit or go with a set of solids. As for vibration from solids it seems like for every person that says it causes a lot of vibration there are 10 that say it not that noticable. Not saying your wrong just what I've read through research. Also what type of mounts did you end up going with?
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 01-02-2019 at 08:32 PM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Energy makes good poly mounts that works fine and fit perfectly.....another option. I have them on my 86 coupe and they transmit a bit more than stock rubber but only very slightly. They do tighten up engine movement A LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    Ya well if you read reviews the heavy duty motor mounts from lmr have fit issues just like the ones from rock auto and they say in the description that these are the same as you would get at a auto parts store and that there is only one manufacturer that makes these. So I'm done with those type. Only option imo now is to either spend a couple hundred on a energy suspension set from summit or go with a set of solids. As for vibration from solids it seems like for every person that says it causes a lot of vibration there are 10 that say it not that noticable. Not saying your wrong just what I've read through research. Also what type of mounts did you end up going with?
    I had no issues with the convertible mounts I purchased from LMR but that was a few years back. I have also had solid mounts and yeah lots of vibration for sure. Maybe not an issue for you though?

As I stated before, I have used the Anchor brand convertible mounts several times with no real issues. I will say that from time to time I have had to tweak the mounts to get them bolted up, but nothing as far off as what your pictures showed.

I too ran solid motor mounts on my 351W swap many, many years ago. I personally never liked it. Just way too much vibration for me at least on the street. The car was my DD at the time and the constant buzz was more than I could take and that was back when I was in my early to mid 30's! So I am sure at turning 50 this year I wouldn't be able to stand it at all. Your experience my differ and maybe a 5.0 would be less buzz/vibration I am not sure. Good Luck!

Oh one last thing, I believe it's the Energy Suspension Poly motor mounts that many have reported raise the engine up relative to the K member. Not generally a big deal with a 5.0, but if you are running a 351W that can be a huge problem in regards to hood clearance.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    As I stated before, I have used the Anchor brand convertible mounts several times with no real issues. I will say that from time to time I have had to tweak the mounts to get them bolted up, but nothing as far off as what your pictures showed.

I too ran solid motor mounts on my 351W swap many, many years ago. I personally never liked it. Just way too much vibration for me at least on the street. The car was my DD at the time and the constant buzz was more than I could take and that was back when I was in my early to mid 30's! So I am sure at turning 50 this year I wouldn't be able to stand it at all. Your experience my differ and maybe a 5.0 would be less buzz/vibration I am not sure. Good Luck!

Oh one last thing, I believe it's the Energy Suspension Poly motor mounts that many have reported raise the engine up relative to the K member. Not generally a big deal with a 5.0, but if you are running a 351W that can be a huge problem in regards to hood clearance.
    Ok, well for the price I might try solids out and hope they wont be too bad for vibration. Also I asked the energy rep about the poly mounts raising the engine and he said that they are designed to keep the same height as stock. Not sure what's going on there.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedblind View Post
    Energy makes good poly mounts that works fine and fit perfectly.....another option. I have them on my 86 coupe and they transmit a bit more than stock rubber but only very slightly. They do tighten up engine movement A LOT.
    Ya I really like those but I don't like the price lol. Like 300 canadian with a trans mount.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

There are also these from lmr. Anybody familiar with them?
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-6038PR/1984...e-Motor-Mounts
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 01-07-2019 at 05:52 PM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Just wanna throw my 2 cents in here.... I did not have any luck at all with anchor brand mounts. I broke 4 passenger mounts and 1 driver mount in about 4,500 miles. These were convertible style in my 85. No track just street. I will never spend a penny on anchor mounts ever again. I see not everyone has had this issue. Good for you guys. I wish I had your luck. I switched to solid mounts. Yes, they vibrate more. But it's nowhere near as bad as people make it seem. I've had them on almost two months now and I'm happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast