Close

New User

Default 1986 SSP no turn signal/hazards

Hello everyone,

I have tried everything and I'm stumped. Just finished the restoration of my 1986 SSP, I put LED bulbs in the brake lights, front and rear turn signals, reverse lights and side markers. I put a new electronic flasher in for the turn signals and one for the hazards. I have checked all the grounds and made sure they are clean and secure. The parking lights all work as do the headlights (low beam and high beam). The wires all appear to be in good shape and nothing cut.

When I turn on the parking lights/headlights, both turn signal indicator lights come on. When I turn the hazards on, they do flash, but they also flash the brake lights, the rear turn signal lights, all side marker lights and even the LP lights.

When I turn on the left or right turn signals, the appropriate signal light will flash in the rear, but both front turn signals flash, also both the brake lights and all the side marker lights flash. If I turn on the parking lights, the appropriate side will come on, but will not flash.

The brake lights work fine with the brake pedal.

I have so far replaced the headlight switch, the turn signal switch in the column, I have checked the cluster, I have tried every combination of old style flasher and electronic flasher between the turn signal and hazards (actually if I use an electronic flasher in the hazards, they will not flash). The ignition switch appears to be in good shape and from what I've read, if the blower motor works, the ignition switch is probably good. But I have a new Motorcraft ignition switch that I might try just to eliminate that.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    Current Fox bodies:
    1983 Capri RS 5.0 T-top
    1986 SSP (Colorado DSO)
    1991 LX 5.0 convertible (survivor 13K original miles)

New User

Update!!....so if anyone who read this thought "go back with regular bulbs" you're not wrong. I had what I could only describe as cheap 1157 LED bulbs in the front turn signals. I decided too check those and they came apart when I tried twisting them out. Replaced them with regular 1157 bulbs and everything works perfectly. The KISS principle in action!!
    Current Fox bodies:
    1983 Capri RS 5.0 T-top
    1986 SSP (Colorado DSO)

FEP Supporter

I had a broken ground tang on a front signal light causing intermittent issues with vibration. Took a while to figure it out!

Ah, the fun of electrical gremlins! Glad you figured it out. Were the LED's defective or broke and did not work? Were they correct for the application? I'm only curious as I have no experience with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

New User

Yes thanks! I was about to bust out my power probe and a schematic and drive myself crazy!

I bought Phillips LEDs for the rear and they are very good quality, but the front LED came from O'Reillys and were some off-brand. They were 1157's and did fit the sockets, but they were cheaply made. As soon as I twisted them out, the plastic LED portion came apart from the metal base. So I'll bet when I installed them, the LED portion came apart from the base just enough to cause the short that resulted in all the electrical gremlins.
    Current Fox bodies:
    1983 Capri RS 5.0 T-top
    1986 SSP (Colorado DSO)