Close

Default 92 Mustang, swap in 84 3.8L

Hello all, yes this sounds (and would be) insane, but I have a nostalgic like of the CFI 3.8L. I have a low miles, motor, and a 92 2.3 mustang. Is there a way to bolt a 3.8 to the a4ld?

Thanks.

Yes, but its a bad idea. 84-88 Essex 90 degrees, not great engines. 92 A4LD's, not great transmissions.

Depending what your locale is, you might not get away with an 84 engine in a 92, and in any case, in your other post, I discussed the limits of a stock 84 3.8 V6. The last 3.9 liter SN Mustang engine was exceptionally good.

Its not like a 5.0 HO CFi, and you've gotta have a lot of parts at hand.

Discussed very specifically after the AOD idea with cb650. The V6 Essex engine was always a 4.2 liter V8 replacement. It has the same block pattern, similar catalysts, and so you can use other adapter plates to fit any Ford aod or A4LD to any V6 or V8 engine

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...77646-AOD-swap

I've done a lot of work with the Bordeux auto and the other Cologne V6's, but the Essex V6 is ten times harder to manage, and for what benefit.

If it was a standout engine like the others, the 1982 to 1988 Fox body 3.8 V6's would have grown in popularity. They didn't, because there are fundamental flows in the service life of an early 3.8 block. By 1994 to its end of life as a F150 4.2 truck engine, it was pretty good.

82-88, It had some really difficult issues to deal with, and they would be compounded with an A4LD trans which is French. I'm part French myself. But the A4LD was supplied car of Ford of Europe from land supplied by war reparations, and it wasn't a standout gearbox.