Close

Default 85 hood on a 82?

I may be replacing my 85 due to some rot in the frame rail. I found an 82 that I might buy but I’m not sure if my hood from my 85 will work on it. I plan on using the grill and front end parts on the 82, if I did that would the hood from the 85 work on it?

Yes it will. You have to used a 1983 - 1986 bumper cover for your 1985 hood to match up. I am not an expert, but I believe you need to swap the actual bumper and cover support to make it all work correctly.

Ok. Thanks, I will have everything for the swap then. I just wanted to make sure.

Bumper does not have to be swapped but the bumper covers does. However the cowl grill will not match the profile of the hood and the cowl grills are not interchangeable. The opening in the cowl itself is a different size, and some of the screw holes to mount the grille are in a different location.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Ok. I was mainly concerned with the hood figment because I have a 4” cowl hood on my 85 now and plan to reuse it on the 82.

As Foxchassis mentioned the cowl vent cover for the 82 model is narrower than the 83-93 cowl vent cover. You can swap on the later model cover, but you will need to drill holes to make it work.

As stated also the metal bumper under the cover is the same, but the cover and the headlight support for a 1983-86 model will be needed for everything to match up. Then you will need all the 85/86 side moldings, the 84-86 fender extensions, and a 85/86 rear bumper cover for everything to match if that matters to you. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

This is kinda sad. Why not replace the frame rail? The aftermarket now has us covered pretty well.
    3 ASC's