Close

Default Help to identify wire

Hello,

Can anyone help me identify the Green with Pink stripped wire in the photo? It is located on the passenger side with a fuse-able link that has burnt away some of the insulation. I have to be honest, I have let this car sit in my shop for 15 years and drove it maybe 1000 miles. Trying to get her road worthy again, just put new brakes on it, but the wiring is my headache at the moment. Any help would be appreciated. Also does anyone know where I can find the correct molding for this car?

1984 1/2 GT350

Thanks,

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images      

tough to see which wire you are talking about from your pic. Have to wonder if your wiring harness has been messed with.

The wire in your hand looks red to me. Below it is a light green wire. That if I recall goes to your alternator regulator. Rests in passenger fender. Should be 3 wires to it. green / orange and maybe yellow. plus some sort of stripe combo. Been a while since I looked at mine.

More information and better pictures may provide a member with enough to determine where and what the wire goes to. I unfortunately can't provide any additional help either. I would recommend taking a look thru the wiring diagrams here: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...79-1986-in-PDF that may give you the information and details you need to make the repairs. Good Luck!

Also Nice looking Anny Mustang!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

So the wire in my hand is red past the yellow butt connector, before that is bare copper wire that goes into that green with pink stripped wire then into the harness back to the firewall on the passenger side. That's the problem I am running into, what is the green/pink stripped wire in the passenger side harness from the factory so I can wire it correctly? I have bought a Haynes and Chiltons manual and looked at PDFs, just wondering if someone has an intact harness from an 84 GT. My friend has a an 86 GT but is fuel injected and completely different.

What does the RED wire go to at this point? I understand your frustration, but unfortunately wiring is a major PITA for most of us. The wiring can be different from year to year and from one model to the next depending on equipment, engine, etc.

The other issue is that Ford used several colors that can look very similar over time due to fading, grease, grime, etc. There are two different greens that Ford used, Light Green and Dark Green, so that is the first question. Next are you sure the stripe is Pink and not faded Red. I am not trying to make this more difficult, but when looking at the electrical diagram the only wire I see quickly is a LG/R going to the Alternator Regulator. That may or may not be your wire. If you can verify where the red wire goes or was supposed to go that will help narrow down the search. Also more information in regards to what is or is not happening right now. The car won't start, won't turn over, won't charge, etc. The more information you can provide the better the results.

I have a 1984 Capri RS that I will look at to see if I find the wire you need help with. Unfortunately the Capri is a roller, so no guarantees, but I will try.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Sorry! Took a look at my 84 RS. Forgot the previous owner had stripped out most of the engine bay wiring, so it's no help at all. I looked at my 84 SVO, but I believe the engine setup is different enough that the wiring is probably different. I didn't see any wire easily that matched your colors, but I also didn't start opening up the convoluted covers either.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Default Update

So the car fires right up, everything seems to work but the radio, however at this point I am not sure if that is something else. I can wiggle the face of the CD player and it toggles on/off. I did notice the black/grey wire off the back of the alternator is not giving a constant 12v so my electric choke doesn't work. Would that be an indication of the wire not connected to the regulator? I am not sure about color but am guessing it is indeed Green/Red (faded I presume). See the reason I even noticed it is because I had this random wire sitting there that was corroded off. I thought it was possibly connected to the solenoid but now am wondering if it went somewhere else. My friend said it runs the main computer of the car, not sure what he means by that but has a four eyed GT and is an engineer who is 10 times smarter than I am. He can rebuild a motor in sleep, pull a T-5 in 10 minutes and all the time doing so with an eidetic memory (brings every wrench, extension, tool with him under a car the first time).

On a side note, I haven't driven the car on the highway for years, only started it, moved it around, in and out of the booth, up and off the hoist etc. I do remember always disconnecting the battery otherwise it will be dead, I just assumed a power draw. I should probably check the battery voltage with car running now that I am typing this to see if get about 14v. If I do, what would the next step be?

Thanks guys for all the help.

If my memory serves me correctly the lead coming from off of the back of the alternator to the electric choke isn't 12VDC. It's only about 7VDC.

Hi,

checked out the thread again and sorry to see you still looking for answers. At least it runs. As to the radio if it is the original I suggest unhooking it at the harness and then hooking the radio up to a battery charger and make sure it works that way. If it does work then you know the problem is somewhere else in the wiring harness. The pdf diagram here in the site is well worth downloading and printing out.

Not sure about your comment about your first issue and the mention of a computer. I have an 84 (built in nov of 83) early model GT and there is no computer on the vehicle that year for the GT that I am aware of. I did take a look at my harness to see how close ours matched (both 84's). Similar but definitely not the same. But as Trey mentioned that does not mean much as lots happens from the factory to 30+ years later.

I would suggest more pics. I did realize that was a copper wire (in your hand) going into the red. That is what throws me. I am confident the light green I mentioned earlier was to your alt reg. Which leads to my final question/clarification. You mentioned the copper wire went into the green. Is it spliced into it? Or wrapped up into the harness? I took a couple pics let me know if any of this helps.

Name:  IMG_20181230_205320.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  71.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20181230_205655.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  48.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Update

Many thanks to all, I took many pictures and must say the photo of the voltage regulator in previous post really helped!

So what I believe I have is a wire that was abandoned by the previous owner for unknown reasons even though I am the 2nd owner. I did have a mechanic friend of mine back in 1998 that rebuild a 93 engine out of a cobra, stroked it and put GT-40 Aluminum heads on it as I was a stupid teenager and wanted the fastest car in town (back then the rebuild with Ford Racing SVO GT 40 heads was over $5000). It is possible that he did this when we swapped the engines (don't worry I have the original one in my 69 coupe).

So my thought is I am worrying about nothing as I prep this car for the spring. Granted not pretty, it is functional as the car runs, just have to figure out what that red wire (pictures 3 & 4) with what appears to be silver or yellow dashes that rejoins the main harness across the firewall. Any ideas?

Name:  wireupdate-1.jpg
Size:  205.5 KB
    Name:  wireupdate-2.jpg
Size:  186.6 KB
    Name:  wireupdate-3.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  216.5 KB
    Name:  wireupdate-4.jpg
Size:  243.7 KB