Close

Default Tore into this thing

Seems like most of the stuff on this engine was an after thought, random brackets and bolts lol.
    Anyways, I am replacing the intake manifold gasket due to it leaking coolant and the water pump is next.

Egr housing in the intake, where can i find a new gasket for that? Should i make my own? Mine was full of fuel not sure if thats concerning.

EGR delete seems to be a debated topic on here.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

FEP Member

Exhaust gas is the only thing that should be in the egr valve. A parts store, either local or on line, should have the gasket. I'm not going weigh in on egr delete, might depend on which state the car is registered in.

May we assume that you're working on your new wagon? Engine is 4, 6, or 8?

Welcome to the site!

Quote Originally Posted by darkd0r View Post
    Exhaust gas is the only thing that should be in the egr valve. A parts store, either local or on line, should have the gasket. I'm not going weigh in on egr delete, might depend on which state the car is registered in.

May we assume that you're working on your new wagon? Engine is 4, 6, or 8?

Welcome to the site!
    Yep messing with the wagon, it’s a 6 .....

FEP Senior Member

It would be helpful if we knew what you were working on. Year and engine would be great since there were fox wagons with straight sixes and V6's. Even among the V6 engines there were carbureted and fuel injected versions which had differences. As noted, the EGR gasket should be easy to find at the local parts store. If not, you should be able to find what you need on RockAuto.

I'm not really sure how your EGR valve was full of fuel, but that is definitely something I would want to diagnose and fix. Ultimately it is up to you whether you keep it or not, but I don't see much upside to deleting it if you are keeping the engine mostly stock. It should increase mileage, reduce emissions, and help reduce spark knock.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Crocell Super SH-25 Hot Dip on the headlights, and a CFi 3.8 V6 in the engine bay...

Yummm.

Now the problems with the Essex 90 are legion....EGR gasket should fix it, but you have to pull the codes after you've redone the gasket.

1. The CFi restrictor plate was a TSB item for all EECIV CFi's, 5.0 and 3.8's. Its always an issue if its leaking or not working, or not present if its CFi

2. TPS non adjust-ability and its proximity to the odd ball Pipe to the Heat Riser Vaccum valve. It needs slotting to adjust the curb voltages

3. EGR valve position sensor. Very miss-understood, it has to be working right

4. MAP sensor. It has to be pooling right

5. The O2 sensor wires were changed from the first CFi to the last. Depending on year, the kind of two or three wire sensor, it can be difficult to ensure its working right if someone swaps in pre 1986 parts

6. Heat Riser Vaccum valve itself

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall
    That stupid little heat riser vacuum valve is squarely in the way of the bottom of the throttle lever.
    Walking-Tall, Mike, our resident Ontario Canadian Vee Six man has the EGR info.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...e-build-thread

Pages 1 to 4 deal with the diagnosis of the problems, and Page 5 deals with deciding to plead no contest, and stopping with the EECIV crud and popping a reworked 500 CFM Holley 2-bbl right in there.

The Seventh issue is the way the V6 CFi differs in idle control. That DC motor controller must be working perfect.

Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Nay, we are but men....

this is a just a tribute, you gotta believe me...

Thanks for all the help so far got it back together but need the 1/4 in fuel line clip before I start it. We will see what’s up with it after!