Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buying a 1986 GT 5 speed with 4950 miles tomorrow, need help with value, PICS ADDED

Buying a legit mint 86 GT tomorrow with 5 speed and sunroof and maroon cloth interior. Legit under 5K Actual mile car per car fax as well. Nearly flawless but owner installed a car alarm in 86 and kenwood radio in 86 but original radio comes with car, dash not cut. Alarm was installed professionally all else is stock original outside of battery. It is red over maroon cloth with power windows, ac, power locks, etc.

Its a one family owned car that the dad has kept for all these years after his son who bought the car new died in 1986, very sad that occurred, but he kept the car perfectly and it runs and drives like new and looks new in every way. Underside has expected surface rust as it was not climate controlled but always in garage.

I worked out the deal already just need to know if I am in the ballpark for market value on it or overpaying. I could not find any com parables with that mileage. I don't have pics but its a new as new gets minus the two changes listed above.

IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/281hf2b.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by Squirrel; 12-25-2018 at 10:12 PM.

Like so many things in the automotive market the value will vary depending on who/what/when/where. Obviously if the car is legitimate and in great shape you should be at the upper end of the market value for the foxes. Based upon what has happened at Barrett Jackson & others auctions lately that could easily be in the $30K range. Without seeing the car in person or in pictures, but based upon your description I would say the car should easily bring $12K-$15k without any problem. If the mileage is accurate, everything is in great shape and works, then the car is probably most likely in the $20K range without any problems. As with any vehicle sale, the car is worth what the market will bear. At the right time and place and enough interested parties you can quickly get into the BJ range, otherwise I would say $15K-$25K is more likely again depending on color, equipment, condition, etc. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

Sounds like a cool car...enjoy. Please post pics.

That does sound nice!!!!!! Pics please

pics added to original post.

Looks like a beautiful GT! Congrats!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Senior Member

Cool car great find...what is the back story on how you found it. Car looks very nice...enjoy. When the red interiors are mint they are a favorite of mine.

Real sharp! That is sweet

FEP Supporter

Congrats on the find! Sad the circumstances of it sitting so long but hopefully you can make a deal to bring the car home to enjoy for yourself.

One that TwinVipers did not find. Nice find sir!
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Beautiful GT. Congrats on a stellar purchase!!!
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

got the car home to my shop. the exterior is amazing, 99.9% flawless and paint looks new. interior is just as perfect outside of kenwood stereo and alarm. it ran and drove just fine but original tires should be removed and stored. title is from 86 in original family name.

crazy, like going back to 86.

That looks beautiful. I love the looks of a factory fresh car.

FEP Member

Wow! Nice!

FEP Senior Member

enjoy...please keep posting pics if possible.

thanks everyone for the feedback. anyone have an idea of fair market value. it looks way better in person than these photos. he took these photos.

FEP Senior Member

You could probably sell it quick for 15 or take a few months and get closer to 20. The crowd that will pay closer to 20 will have issues with the alarm, undercoating and to some, red interior. Very nice car. A stunning show ready 8k mile ,86 GT vert that represented a no mile car and has been owned by collectors for years got mid-high teens a few months ago.

The red on red is generally a love/hate relationship. You either LOVE it or you HATE it. That will generally cut your potential buyers in half. So as mentioned above, the car should easily bring mid teens and to the right buyer at the right time be in the high teens to low 20's based upon how things have been selling lately. If the GT had the grey or even the beige interior that might bring more money as I believe more people would be interested in the car because of the color combo. Either way a really nice car and if you got a good deal on it, that's even better.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

i paid up for it, no deal, but its stunning in person. that paint is easily 10 out of 10, not a single blemish or paint chip. Interior is like new and only a battery change and the stereo and alarm which can be reversed as i have the stock stereo.

the paint is like glass and i can't believe it looked as good as it does now when it was new. never spent a day out of the garage. oil change sticker on the shroud is from 6/86.

Holy shiznit!........time capsole!! Love it.

I am a dealer and always put all of my cars on my site even if personal cars. I am not sure if I am keeping this Fox or not and probably a little high in price but it is such a nice car. Anyways here are over 200 photos of car and a video. It started to rain so I could not get all the pics of the hatch and spare and underside. I will add asap.

http://www.cincyclassiccars.com/1986...riginal-26900/
    Last edited by Squirrel; 12-27-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Congrats on your purchase. What area did the car come from? I remember one just like this with the same Rusty Jones sticker in the window.

Car was a MI car as per title.

Wow very nice car indeed. However at $26.9K you will likely be owning it for a lot longer. It will move fairly readily for about half that price to someone who likes the red interior. There was an absolutely mint 85 GT same colour but with the much more desirable gray interior and it stalled at $15.4K on eBay recently. The owner was looking for $26K but I don't think anyone is going to pay that today.
    Current Mustangs:
    82 Silver GT - 5.0L crate motor, Tremec 3550 5 spd tranny, SVO brake kit, 8.8 rear end with 373s
    05 Legend Lime Fastback - some mods
    05 Screaming Yellow Vert - even more mods including Edelbrock blower

Beautiful car man, wow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast