Close

Thread: 1982 Capri

Default 1982 Capri

I found a guy selling a Capri for parts with a title for $400 on CL. It's was about 3 hours from me in Yuba city California outside Sacramento in the farmland. This car has been sitting for at least 15 years behind the guys house parked between farm equipment. It was last registered in 2002. I had to have this car because one, it was really cheap and two, it seems like a car with weird options. I'm pretty sure through looking through the Capri fact books it is a base model car because in the options section only a base model car could come without a passenger side mirror. The odd thing is the bulge scoop, the 302, and the fact that it had a five speed, all while being a base model car. The trans isn't with the car, but I was told by the guy I got it from that it had one. It was apparently taken by his friend and then his friend sold the car to him. The car also doesn't have a rear defroster. As well as having a moon roof. I would think that if someone specified these options they would spend the extra money for a mirror and a defroster or a higher trim package. It just seems like and odd combination to me. But then again I'm young and new to the Capri game, this could be common and I'm just crazy. Hopefully my guess about the cars model is correct. Thanks foxchassis!

VIN is : 1MEBP67F6C7631305

Also FYI to everyone, I will not be parting the car out, this car will see a new life with me. The only place so far I've found rust is in the rail where below where the battery sits and around the moon roof. I will be tubing the front and I'm going too get a new roofskin from some foxbodys in the pick and pull here in San Jose next weekend. It's sawzall time baby.

Name:  00H0H_CGSN8YYsNK_1200x900 (1).jpg
Views: 210
Size:  185.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20181222_142437078.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  144.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_20181222_142428225.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  121.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_20181222_203704626.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  87.8 KB
    Name:  00s0s_eyBKTf6O2hM_600x450.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  23.2 KB
    Last edited by meezy2; 12-23-2018 at 01:06 AM.

"That Plymouth had a hemi with a torqueflite. I believe we sawed the guy off even if we did lose $200.”

My cars:
    83 Capri RS T-Top
    83 Capri RS
    82 Capri

Any Capri owners in the Bay Area, California? Email me lets meet up! Meezy2@gmail.com

This one is a 'Capri L'. What gives it away is the "DB" interior trim code and no "RS" code on the buck tag. (Both L and RS could have DB trim, but not [base], GS, or Black Magic.) The 5.0L engine was also not available in the [base] Capri.

Both the [base] Capri and the Capri L could come with just a left hand remote control mirror (no passenger side mirror). Right hand remote control mirror was optional on both. Dual remote control mirrors were standard on everything else (GS, RS, Turbo RS, Black Magic).

This car came with a 4-speed manual transmission. That was the only transmission available behind 5.0L engine that year. There was a 5-speed that year but it was only available behind the non-turbo and turbo 2.3L engines.

VIN
    1ME = Mercury vehicle manufactured in USA by Ford Motor Company
    B = active belts, no airbags
    P = passenger car
    67 = Capri 3-door hatchback
    F = H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    6 = VIN check digit
    C = 1982 model year
    F = Dearborn Assembly Plant (DAP)
    631305 = 31,305th 1982 Mercury scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly

Door Tag
    Date - 06/82 = June 1982 build
    GVWR - 3940 lb/1787 kg = gross vehicle weight rating
    Front GAWR - 2081 lb/943 kg = front gross axle weight rating
    Rear GAWR - 1884 lb/854 = rear gross axle weight rating
    F0117 = 117 lb front accessory reserve load
    R0102 = 102 lbs rear accessory reserve load
    Exterior Paint Colors - 3D 1C = Dark Blue Metallic
    (3D), Black lower tu-tone (1C)
    DSO - 53 = Oakland district sales office
    Body - 61D = Capri 3-door hatchback
    Int Trim - DB = cloth & vinyl seating, low-back front buckets (D), Wedgewood Blue interior trim color (B)
    A/C - [blank] = no factory air conditioner
    R - 7 = AM/FM stereo radio with cassette tape player
    S - C = flip up open air roof (sunroof)
    Ax - Z = 3.08:1 axle ratio, Traction-Lok (limited slip) differential
    Tr - 4 = manual overdrive transmission (Tremec 4-speed 'SROD')
    NN = front spring codes
    HH = rear spring codes

Buck Tag
    CAPRI = Capri model line
    631305 = 31,305th 1982 Mercury scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly
    61D = Capri 3-dr hatchback
    F = H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    MO = moonroof (sunroof)
    0807 = body & paint rotations #0807
    3D = Dark Blue Metallic exterior paint color
    TT = Black lower tu-tone
    ST
    01 = NO rear defrost, NO rear louvers, NO rear washer/wiper, NO rear wing
    MOD = manual overdrive transmission (Tremec 4-speed 'SROD')
    07 = vents in hood, hole in hood covered by 'bulge' hood scoop
    ELECTRIC
    -B = Wedgewood Blue interior trim color
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 12-23-2018 at 05:23 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Congrats on saving it, i seen it posted on facebook. Good save

Thanks foxchassis, I thought it was unlikely that the car originally came with a 5 speed. My early 83 Capri also has an SROD I though it was very weird that an 82 would have one. Looking back at the fact book brochure you're right my car couldn't have come with a 5 speed. I'm wondering if someone swapped one in a long time ago. This car was someones hot rod . The car has quick release valve covers, battery in the trunk, heater delete, massive radiator, electric fan, engine has bolt ons everywhere, long tube headers, etc..... after market suspension. Or the guy could have just remembered wrong and thought it was a five speed. Also foxchassis what do you use as a resource for options, I use the product fact books on the ASC Mclaren website but they make no mention of the Capri L in the options. Which is what threw me off. I didn't think the L was an option that year but in checking the dealer brochure, I find that it is. What is the best place to get solid information because it seems like the "fact books" are sometime missing information.

"That Plymouth had a hemi with a torqueflite. I believe we sawed the guy off even if we did lose $200.”

My cars:
    83 Capri RS T-Top
    83 Capri RS
    82 Capri

Any Capri owners in the Bay Area, California? Email me lets meet up! Meezy2@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by meezy2
    Also foxchassis what do you use as a resource for options, I use the product fact books on the ASC Mclaren website but they make no mention of the Capri L in the options. Which is what threw me off. I didn't think the L was an option that year but in checking the dealer brochure, I find that it is. What is the best place to get solid information because it seems like the "fact books" are sometime missing information.
    You must have looked at the "advance" product facts book because it is in the later one.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I'll take a look at those thanks again!

My cars:
    83 Capri RS T-Top
    83 Capri RS
    82 Capri

Cool car. Would the exclusion of the passenger mirror be listed on the buildsheet only or did someone eliminate it after the fact?

I'd have look up the build sheet code for remote left mirror only.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I'm tearing out the carpet today. I can post the build sheet if I find it. I'm assuming the car came with left remote mirror only because of the model. When I saw pictures on craigslist, it was one of the reason I had to have the car. Found this cool book from the original owner, has all the mileage for the car from 83. Car has 150k on the body
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by meezy2; 12-25-2018 at 05:59 PM.

My cars:
    83 Capri RS T-Top
    83 Capri RS
    82 Capri

Only mirror code on 1982 build sheets that I have seen so far is code B, and that is for dual remote control. I dont think I have seen a 1982 build sheet from a car that had one mirror.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Get a personalized Marti report
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

FEP Senior Member

Considering the passenger side mirror was optional, I am not suprised that there was no mention on the build sheet. No need to list items not to be installed on a particular vehicle. It is not a delete optionl, it simply was not ordered. My wifes old 82 Capri did not have a right side mirror either, until I found one in a wrecking yard and installed it myslef. Being a 82, I assume that it would have been the HO 2 barrel engine, so it would appear that the HO engine did not have a different engine code than the earlier low HP 302 2 barrel used in 79 Mustangs, Capris, Fairmonts and Zephyrs.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

Cool Capri and Nice Save! Almost a twin to my 82 RS with the Dark Blue Metallic exterior and the Wedgewood Blue Interior.

So what are your plans with the Capri? Restore, Rebuild, Restomod? Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by mcfairmont
    Considering the passenger side mirror was optional, I am not surprised that there was no mention on the build sheet. No need to list items not to be installed on a particular vehicle. It is not a delete optional, it simply was not ordered.
    Capri/Mustang build sheet mirror codes that I have seen so far:

1979: 1, B, N
    1980: B
    1981: B
    1982: B
    1983: 1, A, B
    1984: A, C
    1985: A
    1986: A

Quote Originally Posted by mcfairmont
    Being a 82, I assume that it would have been the HO 2 barrel engine, so it would appear that the HO engine did not have a different engine code than the earlier low HP 302 2 barrel used in 79 Mustangs, Capris, Fairmonts and Zephyrs.
    Same engine code but probably different engine tag number on the build sheet and engine (sticker on valve cover).
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 12-27-2018 at 07:37 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I do have a clean title for the car but the PO never transferred the title back in 2011 when he bought the car to use for the engine. I may not be able to get this car registered to drive on the street, but I'm going to try. If that's the case I will be using this as my first drag car. I've seen a lot of nice cars get parted out because of title issues and I don't want that to happen with this car. I also have my two 83's that I've been planning on keeping mostly original, so I was looking for a car to build to get into drag racing (legit racing) with my brother. I wanted to use a mustang to spare a capri, but this car is just calling for it. This car was someones hot rod at one point, may have seen strip use. I'd like to see it continue down that path with the car, but in a much more legit fashion. On the other hand if I can get a title, smog wont be an issue. I would like to build the car for street/strip use as a sort of a resto-mod. I'd like to keep the outside the way it is, no wing or anything. Bare bones interior. The interior is completely trashed from water leaking in through the sunroof for so long. As well as someone swapped the original seats. After cleaning out the car I found Chevy heads, intake, and oil pan.
    Last edited by meezy2; 12-29-2018 at 01:03 AM.

My cars:
    83 Capri RS T-Top
    83 Capri RS
    82 Capri