Close

Default 1979 mustang clutch

I swapped a 302 and t5 into my 79 pace car and have extra clutch parts from the car i parted out. have a firewall adjuster, cable, and swingarm. Is there any way i can use any of these on my stock pedal assembly? car was originally a 4 speed manual but it has a different pedal assembly setup than the 89.

Short answer, no they are different. You need the newer pedal box to use it

As mentioned above the pedal boxes are different and use a different cable. The 79-81 cars used a direct pull clutch setup without the quadrant. The 82-93 use the quadrant system.

You can swap in the pedal box from any 82-93 manual car and use your firewall adjuster, cable, and quadrant. Otherwise you will need to use a direct pull cable only with the 79 pedal box. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

how hard is it to swap the pedal assembly?
    1979 Pace Car 302 T5
    x303 cam gt40 heads

Quote Originally Posted by nkoshe22 View Post
    how hard is it to swap the pedal assembly?
    Not "Hard", but a little bit of a PITA just due to working under the dash.

Easiest way is to drop the steering column down. Remove the hairpin clip on the brake pedal and associated brake switch, spacer, etc. Obviously disconnect clutch cable. Then using a long extension and a deep 9/16" socket remove the 4 nuts that hold the pedal assembly to the brake booster. Remove the bolt directly above the steering column and then you should be able to tilt and pull the pedal box assembly out from under the dash. Install of the new one is the reverse of above. I do recommend installing your new clutch quadrant on the new pedal assembly while it's out of the vehicle as it is much easier. I have omitted a few things in the procedure above, but that is the main part of it. Once you have done one, you can easily swap one out in 30 minutes to an hour. the first one will take longer, but still not terrible. The long extension and deep socket are the ticket for making it go faster and easier. Otherwise you will spend 1/2 the day with a regular ratchet trying to remove 2 of the 4 nuts at the booster. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Fwiw, I prefer the older pedal setup. The only drawback I know of is that cable adjustment has to be done under the car, unless you install a firewall adjuster. You can use the firewall adjuster on the older setup but I believe you need to slightly modify the firewall or cable bushing. I don't recall. I was going to add it to mine and I do remember something wouldn't fit, but it was close. Maybe just open up the hole a bit? It's been a while since i messed with it. I've been thinking about going with a t5 in my 79 cobra, which is factory auto (I have a freshly rebuilt c4). If I do the swap, I'm going to try and find the early pedal assembly.
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 12-22-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Have a 79 with stock type cable, manual adjust at the trans.
    Same setup has been used with the factory four speed RAD and current T5 trans.
    Going back to 1980, rarely have had to adjust clutch. Every 50k if that. Is very easy no big deal.
    Wheel chock, floor jack and stands, two wrenches for cable nuts, screwdriver to remove the dust shield screw.
    Takes about an hour including setup, stowing tools, cleanup, test ride. Actual adj takes minutes.

For the record, installed a Pioneer CA306 41.5" cable in 2001, over 100k miles ago. Working fine.
    Replacing the cable, according to my records, took about an hour. Is clutch cable #3 since 10/78.
    New spare (future clutch cable #4) is kept in car.
    OEM snapped Dec 31 1985 at trans end. Cable fatigue just upstream of the throw out bearing lever arm.
    Although the 2nd cable (D9ZZ 7K553D) had 50k on it, replaced it when T5 was installed.
    Last time adjusted 2013 (new clutch).
    Alternate daily driver status, no racing, occasional show off and test burnouts.

I have a 79-81 box I can't use so PM me. When we put my 79 C4 car togther we went to a T5, but for some reason it wouldn't fit. I'm noy sure if it wouldn't fit or if my buddy was trying to install the clutch quadrant as well, so we just put in a 82-93 box.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

I installed a firewall adjuster with the stock old style box and cable.
    I just had to remove the rubber grommet from the cable, and enlarge the ID of the adjuster with a drill.
    The cable end on the early cable is a little larger than the hole.
    Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsnake View Post
    I installed a firewall adjuster with the stock old style box and cable.
    I just had to remove the rubber grommet from the cable, and enlarge the ID of the adjuster with a drill.
    The cable end on the early cable is a little larger than the hole.
    Works great.
    Great info, Kingsnake! I knew it was a simple modification that was needed. Just couldn't recall exactly.