Close

Default Holley 4150 fast idle screw binding against choke

Has anybody here ever had a problem with the fast idle screw hitting/binding against the electric choke housing? It won’t work properly because of this issue. If I bend the fast idle screw linkage away from the choke housing, it won’t contact the choke cam. I thought about putting some spacers where the choke mounting screws go to get the choke off the fast idle linkage, but I’m not sure what this hole in the choke is for that mates to the carb body (see pic). I’ve contacted tech support at Holley, and they’ve never heard of this. I guess I can get my Dremel out and grind on the choke housing...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Capricious; 12-19-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Which 4150? Can you snap a picture of the fast idle screw arm as installed on the primary throttle shaft? Might this carburetor have had an electric choke conversion kit added? Manual choke fast idle screw levers position the screw further away from the carburetor body, and the arms for electric chokes are slightly offset and have the fast idle screw more in line, closer to the carburetor body, which then will fit and work in the small space between the electric choke housing and other linkage in there... The cork-sealed passage on the back is where intake manifold vacuum is available into the choke housing to operate the piston inside there, to open the choke blade slightly when the engine starts, and to augment full choke opening upon the engine being up to operating temperature... so yeah, no, don't space out or block that off... I'd take their "support" with a grain of salt... they don't much know what is what regarding carburetors over there anymore...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 12-19-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Mike, you’re right. It’s a 4150 that originally had a manual choke on it. I just screwed on an electric choke from another Holley carb I had. So I need to look for a conversion kit? Or just change the fast idle lever, since I’ve already got the choke?
    Last edited by Capricious; 12-19-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Just got off the phone with Holley tech service. Indeed, the conversion kit has a different style lever and choke flap rod. The problem will be solved. Thanks for your reply.