Close

Default AOD Swap Done, Now Engine Dies When Put In Gear!

Hey, guys! I just finished putting a 94 5.0 with a carb, into my 84 ltd wagon. I only have the WP/ALT driven from the belt. Aod was installed at the same time. Used the lokar TV cable, set it up to the correct pressures, and it worked great! Until, My rear main seal went out! Pulled the engine out and replaced the seal. My first problem in starting it back up, was that I had no spark at all! I have an hei module running with a motorcraft distributor that has been working great for a few years. Cranked and cranked with no spark. Jiggled wires, checked connections, still no spark! Finally while my wife was cranking the car, with me watching for spark, it came back and ran! Okay, next problem! go to put it in drive to pull out of the garage, it dies! Weird but maybe the carb needs to be adjusted. Start it up again with no trouble, adjust curb idle mix and idle at this point is set to about 700-750 rpm. Put in drive, dies again! Start the car, rev to about 1100 rpm and the car stays running and moves on its own. I adjusted the idle up, just so it could go into gear and move back into the garage. With the idle set at 1000-1100 rpm it can go into gear, but dies if you blip the throttle. I've swapped the carb with another known good carburetor, checked for vacuum leaks and could find none. New fuel filter, plugs, plug wires were also installed. Just looking for suggestions, as I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this thing out! Leaning towards MAYBE spark cutting out under load, but that's just a wild guess! Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Jerrymelons; 12-18-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Are the bowls staying filled at the right levels? What kind of pump are you using?
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

Quote Originally Posted by Lowetlx View Post
    Are the bowls staying filled at the right levels? What kind of pump are you using?
    They are at the correct levels in both carbs we tried. I was using the mechanical pump I had. Now I just have a generic electric in line unit regulated to 4.5 PSI. I swapped that, when it started happening the other day thinking it may be fuel related.

What carburetor/s? Sounds like idle circuit/settings issue. Are you setting the idle speed (~500rpm) and mixture when the engine's warmed up real good and in gear? You should. If that doesn't help, sounds like something's off (see previous sentences, and/or it's clean and overhaul time...) with idle air:fuel once under load, in gear... though I don't like the sound of the mysterious disappearing/reappearing ignition spark thing... varying (with movement of engine/trans when put into gear) on and off open or short circuit or loose connection someplace?...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 12-18-2018 at 06:26 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/