Close

Default brakes for an 85gt

I'm getting close to the point of redoing the stock brakes on my 85 gt. It will be a street driven car, so I'm thinking of upgrading and am leaning towards upgrading to 87-93 front brakes and leaving the rears as drums on an 8.8 rear axle. I already have 87-93 front spindles and will have to purchase the master cylinder and power booster, front calipers, brake lines, and proportioning valve, etc. I'm not sure of what else I may need and would like to know if anyone has a kit that is complete to make this upgrade?I know lmr has some brake kits but I'm not sure of what more I may need that I may have missed. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks--Paul

You don't really have to do the M/C and booster unless yours are bad. You also don't need to swap out the proportioning valve either as the brake balance is the same since the front calipers are both 60mm bores. The 87-93 use a different caliper design and a larger rotor, but the bores are the same.

The front brake (rubber/soft) lines will be different, obviously the calipers, pads, and rotors otherwise you can keep your 85 stuff unless you have issues with the current items. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

A friend once told me Mickey Mouse called, he wants Pluto’s brakes back. That friend convinced me to go to all SN95 based brake parts on my 86GT and that decision ultimately saved my car and my life.

The 87-93 front brakes are pretty good when slotted rotors and great pads are used.

There are great ways to fit 87-88 Turbo coupe / 93 Cobra rear disc brakes. With slotted rotors and great pads they are a sizeable upgrade compared to the rear drums.

Maximum Motorsports does make a kit that works with the 87-93 front brakes and the 80-93 rear drums and stops vastly better than stock

Sorry for not replying sooner. I got a stay in the hospital over the holidays.......all is well, so now back to the mustang. I have pulled the original 7.5 gt axle off the car and will be replacing it with a 8.8 with 3.73 gears, so now I'm thinking about what would be the best to do while the axle is out. Seems like there are all kinds of ways to go. I'm thinking about trying to replicate the 93 cobra suspension with 15 inch 4-lug 85 ten hole wheels, and maximum motorsports sub-frame connectors. Beyond that I'm a little uncertain about what to do with the front and rear suspension pieces. This will be a weekend driver and will not be raced in any way......I also don't want to give up the 4-lug 15 inch wheels or go to 17's.... I want to keep the 4-lugs. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. One of the things I like about Mustangs are all the ways they can be configured, however the choices can be a little overwhelming when trying to fit together a system that works......Thanks for your help......

No responses...... I'm guessing this subject has been "beat to death" previously or somehow I've offended someone unknowingly....anyone?

I put ‘87+ spindles and brakes in the front of my ‘83 and used the newer booster and master. You need the splitter to match the master because the newer v8 master has 3 outlets while the older one has two.
    I left the rear brakes alone.
    Car stops great for a driver, wouldn’t be good for autocross.

Parts are cheap and easy to come by and easy to troubleshoot if anything doesn’t work.

The ‘87+ brakes will be an improvement without breaking the bank, and you don’t have to worry about wheel size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I missed these replies

Try this - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?184120-The-Ultimate-Four-Eyed-4-Lug-Brake-Upgrade-Thread/

There is very little difference in braking with the 87-93 V8 spindles with normal semi-metallic vs the smaller 4cyl/79-86 spindles with carbon or ceramic based pads.

You have to put fairly high end pads on by today’s standards to compare to what the old asbestos pads did though - that’s the other thing.

I absolutely would go up to the stuff from Maximum Motorsports for safety reasons. 87-93 spindles and Hawk HPS with drilled/slotted rotors will stand a chance of out braking today’s minivans. Maybe

I bought a 4 wheel disc conversion kit from Northern Racing and larger stoptech front rotors for my 85 Trey is building. I went an odd-ball never done before route on the front spindles with SVO spindles and balljoint adapters and SN95 balljoints on my car. Others have tried that combo since I brought it up and they reported wonderful results. Everything you get from the 87-93 plus Ackerman correction.
    Last edited by erratic50; 02-07-2019 at 08:30 PM.

Thanks for the help, there are so many different ways to go, that it gets a little confusing.......I'll keep posting my progress hopefully with some pictures soon!

I can lock up all 4 wheels on my ‘83 Convertible with stock ‘87 brakes and stock size tires.
    Bigger brakes would be of no benefit to me, I’m limited by traction and driver ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I autocross my 84 and the stock brakes do very well. I am sure fade would become an issue on a round track or something. No it doesn't stop like a 2019 toyota but it will lock them up if I brake too hard.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.