Close

Thread: Interior Dye

Default Interior Dye

I have a 1986 GT Convertible, with interior code PA (Charcoal Cloth). I need to replace a sunvisor, and was unable to find a NOS piece in the correct color. I ended up buying a red NOS sunvisor, and then using LMR's interior dye in Dark Gray/SVO Gray. This was the only gray listed for a 1986 by LMR. The dye job came out great. Very happy with the product and how it adheres to the vinyl. Only problem is that when I put the painted sunvisor up against an original, the painted one is just a little bit too dark. What interior dye are you guys using to accurately match the interior vinyl parts in a PA interior? The photo shows the painted sunvisor on the left, and the original on the right.

Thanks,
    Tom

Name:  IMG_0445.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  126.0 KB

Just dye the other one so that they both match. It's probably faded from the sun.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

One on the right is NOS gray for the driver side, and perfectly matches the original gray one currently on my car. I'd hate to paint over the correct gray NOS piece to make it perfectly match the passenger visor which is a shade off. May just live with the mismatch until I can find a NOS gray visor for the passenger side.

I generally have the interior dye/paint mixed by my local paint supplier. If you only need small amounts and/or prefer the rattle can, I have have better luck with NPD's interior paint. NPD is SEM brand custom mixed for NPD. That is what LMR used to sell, but I don't think what they are offering now is the same. We had the same issues just recently with my buddy's 1986 Regatta Blue interior on his SSP. LMR close, but NPD covered better and appears to be more color correct. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

If you install them as is, I would be surprised if anyone else notices the difference.
    Last edited by SECESH; 12-16-2018 at 06:46 PM.
    Married to the same Mustang since 03/29/82

Secesh, I think you're absolutely right. But, as most of you who spend time with your cars know, I'll know. I've spent a lot of time on this car bringing it back from a teenager hot rod mess, back to "as it left the factory". I've done well with NOS parts so far. I'll keep searching for a better match, NPD as suggested by Wraith is my next step.

Thanks for the inputs guys,
    Tom

FEP Power Member

You might be looking at light gray and dark gray. I dont recall what years had the light.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I wonder if the red being dark changed the color of the grey? Maybe if it was sprayed in a lighter color and then the grey maybe it will match better?

Quote Originally Posted by STANGMAN116 View Post
    I wonder if the red being dark changed the color of the grey? Maybe if it was sprayed in a lighter color and then the grey maybe it will match better?
    I don't really see any red coming thru, so it appears to have covered well, but something to consider. Generally when recoloring any interior parts that are red and going to a lighter color such as grey/beige/etc. I will use a white or light grey sealer on the parts when possible. This helps prevent any red bleed thru and generally will require fewer coats of color to get the desired results. Definitely something to consider, although the possibility of the grey being the wrong shade is another thing to consider. I use to deal with this all the time with the SVO's interiors when redoing them for Motion Dynamics years ago. Back then when you ordered grey interior paint it always seemed to be a shade or two lighter than what the SVO's were. Finally had my local supplier color match to a mint condition interior piece to get the right color. Saved a huge amount of time once I got that sorted out. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller