Close

Default 86 gt main harness removal firewall

"STUCK HARNESS" well, I had labeled and removed the main EEC harness from the engine bay and disconnected it from the EEC in the passenger foot well. I am going Carb on this one. I was snaking the main harness out when it got stuck but with a hefty tug I broke another unsuspecting brown relay off. Now there is a small 3 wire "#27 EEC Power Relay" that I cannot trace under the dash nor see where it is connected through the oblong firewall main harness whole.

Has anyone experienced this? I would like to save the harness for a purest in need.
    Please advise.

Thank you

If it's the same as 85 there is a relay stuffed up between the HVAC box and cowl somewhere. If you don't know it's there good luck finding it. Real bastard to get to.
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

Default 86 gt main harness removal firewall

Are the 3 wires yellow, red, and tan? If so that’s the fuel pump harness that runs to the drivers side.

Also I’d try to keep that harness as nice as possible to sell for someone doing an efi swap, the 86 harnesses are nearly plug and play for guys going from cfi to efi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Worth their weight in gold for sure.

Direct plug and play with an 86 style cluster for any 79-86 converted to 86 EFI. Exceptionally easy to retrofit for MAF from there.

Any guidance on where this 3 wire relay can be found in the interior of the car to disconnect it without cutting I off?? please advise

thank you

Fixed !! I finally removed the entire harness all in one piece! The EEC Power relay 3 wire was a monster to remove. I had to remove the dash pad loosen the entire dash itself. chased the darn wire harness across the front of the dash from passenger side to drivers side. Down the left door frame and finally located a connector to dislocate it behind the drivers left foot kick panel. Once disconnect my mission was not over; snaking it out across the lower windshield and front of the dash also required disconnecting 2 looms that held it to the dash. Once out of the car I measured the damn thing. That 3 wire EEC power Relay is 7 FEET LONG!! In-tacked and not damaged I will wipe it down with some Water Displacer, (WD-40)! My advise, cut it off at the firewall, gracefully walk around to the drivers door remove the kick panel disconnect it and pull it out from behind the dash...

I am impressed that you pulled the harness out with the dash installed. I find it much easier to pull the dash and then the harness. Otherwise way too much stuff that is either clips, taped, snaked through, etc. to deal with the dash in place. Just did the same to my 86 GT here in TX.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks wraithracing. My shop assistant (AKA, the wife from "Poducah Texas" ) says the routing of the wire was a Ford after thought! We are installing a 357 with RHS 200 heads, scorpion rockers, Custom Bullet ground roller cam duration 292 302 / gross lift .565/.565. Compression 10.27. ARP all over. Stealth Intake, 750 QFT or Holley XP. not sure.

Thank you

SWEET!

I would love a shop assistant! My wife HATES my Foxes! Every DANG One of them!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller