After considerable research on this forum I decided to upgrade my base model 1980 original Mustang steering rack with the full unit and all associated parts such as tie rods, etc, from an 85 GT. We had to change the size of the tie rod ends but overall it was a bolt in project.

I got the car back last week and although the steering is clearly better and more precise, it did not accomplish what I really want.

The steering is still too light. There is no heaviness, or weight, or resistance in the steering wheel. It still offers virtually no road feel.

I can still drive down the road and literally steer the car with one finger with no difficulty. It feels like it wants to dart from one direction to another. It feels like the steering system out of a high-end luxury car from the 1970s.

I'm going to keep researching this project and go through all of the old threads again, but if any of you guys have experienced this and can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. I really want to solve this problem and have a great, sports car like steering system that is rewarding and fun to drive.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk