Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think my favorite part of the 93Cobra’s approach to suspension is the softer springs in back. The factory rear springs belong paired with an 800 lb front spring and the waiting list for a kidney transplant.

In the UK they drive on the left

In the Midwest region of the US we drive on what’s left

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    If you want to run a stock style rear spring, I would probably go with the Moog CC835 replacement. It's a variable rate rear spring and rated around 175lbs. The standard 4 cyl rear springs were constant rate 200lb unit IIRC. The V8/GT rear springs were 200/300lb variable rate.

Otherwise you will probably need to check out NPD and Eaton springs to get much closer to a true original replacement. https://www.npdlink.com/1979-1993-mu...cement-springs I am not sure if any of the OEM Ford springs are still available, but somewhere I have the part number used for the 93 Cobra. I will try and find it when I get home later this week. Good Luck!
    Thanks for the reply on the part number. I'll start looking for the smaller front sway bar. I'm partial to a constant rate rear spring, but can't find a listing for the Moog Cobra rear spring. It's interesting that many go aftermarket, but I'd rather stay with factory parts, if possible. I did order a set of the mmmotorsports rear lower control arms. Probably not completely necessary, but since I've got the exhaust off, figured might as well, so I don't have to remove it again later.

Glad you are going this way. I get super concerned when people put coilovers into a daily. Some do it entirely against everything I’ve said about it in the past.

But if you want a BAD ride, just break a strut tower......

If you cannot find a low miles OE spring for the rear Autozone carries a few that they claim are 4 cyl specific. One is constant rate one is variable.

I suspect the constant rate is probably very similar to what’s in the 93 cobra
    https://m.autozone.com/suspension-st...1582?location=

Starting from rom the beginning and researching I landed on the same moog cc835

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moog-CC835-...ally+Aspirated
    Last edited by erratic50; 01-04-2019 at 01:32 AM.

Per Mustang 5.0 Technical Reference and Performance handbook, pg 381

Rear springs:
    Only later V8 has vari rate rear springs. All non v8 are constant rate.
    1979 -1984.5 constant rate all engines 160#, TRX 175#
    1984.5 -1993 non v8 base suspension constant rate 160#
    1993 Cobra constant rate 160#
    1993 Cobra-R variable rate 240#-260#

rear sway bar specs on page 384. Cobra and Cobra R retained same .83 GT bar dia, different steel.
    front sway bar specs on page 378. SVO had 2" longer bar than any other model.

FEP Member

Hi. Been doing some research, probably way too much, but it looks like the CC835 and CC827 are the same, with the exception of the installed height. So it looks like the CC835 would give me a slightly lower rear end height. I finally got the rear end out, wondering if I'll have a tail dragger with the rear springs or not. Has anyone run the CC835? Thanks!

It will depend upon what you go with for spring isolators.

My car has OE 87-93 4cyl springs which I believe are the same as CC835 if I am not mistaken. I used a very thin isolator to end up with the height you see in the pictures.

FEP Member

So just to add a little more information, For kicks, I measured my stock 85 springs. the wire diameter is .502 and the free length is 12.5". I can believe that the springs have settled some, but surprised that the wire diameter is less than the "4 cylinder" replacement. So this should be an interesting experiment with the CC835 springs, as they are a larger wire diameter and free length.

Any feedback here?

I am contemplating doing the same CC835's in the rear of my semi-DD car.

Most prefer a lower ride height. I haven’t seen either part number in a car. Mine are from a low miles 4 banger 93.

FEP Member

Well, I’ve got it back together, fired it up one night last week, choke is slow to come off, only 7 volts. So cleaning grounds, need to retorque bolts, and figure out something to do with my dipstick and the headers. Unfortunately limited time due to spring sports. I haven’t found a 1.125” sway bar yet, but will probably run it as is this summer, then work on front suspension next winter. I did pick up a set of 11” brakes, so slowly collecting parts. I should have it on the road soon, I’ll definitely update it, as I’ve not found any good part numbers for the “4 cylinder “ springs. Hoping this setup will give better street handling.

FEP Member

Well still working on the choke, but enjoying listening to it run on jackstands. Tonight I had the misfortune to smell gas, noticed the fuel pump is leaking. So I've ordered a fuel pump to install. Luckily it's still on jackstands. For those that like pictures, here's the exhaust and the home made front K member brace.Name:  mustang bottom.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  127.1 KB

FEP Member

Well, fuel pump in, and took it for a short test drive tonight. Initial response is that its much smoother riding, the rear didn't jump around like it use to over bumps. The 3.55 is more fun to drive. So overall, I'd recommend those springs (CC835) for anyone contemplating switching. I need to measure, but it looks like it leveled out the car, so the originals must have sagged a little over the years. Even with the lower arms and all, it rides much smoother than stock setup. only went for about 6 miles, so didn't get to push it into any corners to see how balanced it is yet.

FEP Member

Hi. A final update to a thread that's not mine, but seems to have evolved into it. I figure this will help for anyone searching on this same subject. I found a 1.125" sway bar on car-part. The rear springs improved the ride, but the car felt unnaturally stiff in the front, and seemed to do the normal bone jarring hops on bumps. I switched out the sway bar. The overall ride is much better. The turn-in on corners is better. Overall the car feels very balanced as related to understeer/oversteer. So the 93 Cobra setup is definitely better than stock for me. For a daily driver, I'm super satisfied with the results. For now, I'm enjoying driving it. I'll switch to 11" brakes next winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    Shouldn't be too hard to imagine, since they understeer all the time.
    On the street mine has always oversteered. Ass kicks out and around she goes. The change I mentioned made that stop happening.

I agree that the front factory 86+ swaybar feels a bit much and it is a bit much. I plan to add a panhard and go to the smaller front swaybar and add a swaybar back in the rear on my car eventually.

Then I get into a friend’s stock suspension GT and I’m reminded just how far my car has come.

Glad you are enjoying the updates!!

Dean if you are out there let us know what you’ve done and what the results were in your opinion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12