Close

Default Weird mark on my faulty oil pressure guage

So I got two questions regarding my oil pressure gauge.

1. I just notice the other day I have got this weird mark on my oil pressure guage. The mark is white in colour and is right beside the "o" and it looks as if something burnt through the guage or something. Does anyone know what is happening here?

2. It appears that my oil pressure gauge is not working properly as it always reads High all the time. What is possibly going wrong here?

Name:  oil press guage.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  72.0 KB
    Current Mustangs:
    82 Silver GT - 5.0L crate motor, Tremec 3550 5 spd tranny, SVO brake kit, 8.8 rear end with 373s
    05 Legend Lime Fastback - some mods
    05 Screaming Yellow Vert - even more mods including Edelbrock blower

The mark could have come from someone opening up the cluster in the past and causing the damage. The needles on the gauges are simple sprung metal and it doesn't take much to "tweak" them if handled improperly. You can always hook up a mechanical gauge to verify what your oil pressure is really reading.

I personally have "tweaked" a gauge or two over the years to help them read more accurately. Usually the fuel gauge so that it would read correctly when low on fuel, but have done the same on temperature gauges also that seemed to constantly run "Hot". Maybe not the best solution, but honestly the gauges in the Foxes are not the most accurate. In many way they are not much better than "idiot lights" Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

My oil pressure gauge always reads high also on my 86 GT, how do you "tweak" the gauge?

Yes, how does one "tweak" a gauge to read more accurately? Are there any OEM repro gauges that can be used for replacement? Or perhaps the gauge can be fixed?

I am assuming the following face gauge kit from LMR can fix the cosmetic part of the gauges?

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-17255B79/Mu...auge-Kit-79-82
    Current Mustangs:
    82 Silver GT - 5.0L crate motor, Tremec 3550 5 spd tranny, SVO brake kit, 8.8 rear end with 373s

Pretty much bend the gauge needle in the opposite direction

the only gauges you can get are used from other foxes. Usually you find a full cluster on eBay and buy it then disassemble both and swap parts

A faulty oil pressure sender will either show zero or sky high oil pressure usually.

The key making this a priority is they do that just before they fail physically. They blow apart!

I’ve had two different instances where they’ve blown apart and started shooting oil everywhere. Both right in front of an auto parts store! Once in 1996 at a Western Auto and once 2 years ago in front of Autozone.

lost several quarts in NO time both times. Not the thing to do!

You can check voltage and look up sensor range to determine where the fault is. The sender adds resistance to the ground with lower pressure.

or as said an old school manual gauge works well

Quote Originally Posted by 86 GT T-Top View Post
    My oil pressure gauge always reads high also on my 86 GT, how do you "tweak" the gauge?
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pointoh View Post
    Yes, how does one "tweak" a gauge to read more accurately? Are there any OEM repro gauges that can be used for replacement? Or perhaps the gauge can be fixed?

I am assuming the following face gauge kit from LMR can fix the cosmetic part of the gauges?

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-17255B79/Mu...auge-Kit-79-82
    As stated, you "tweak" the needle by bending the needle slightly. In most cases, just touching the needle will affect its placement and reading, so it doesn't take much. I don't recommend making any "Tweaks" to the gauge without first verifying the actual reading with a mechanical or better quality electrical gauge. Once I know what the real temperature, oil pressure, etc. is then I have no issues tweaking the needle for the gauge to read more accurately or at least closer to where it should.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Is it easy enough just to replace the oil pressure sensor? It seems to me that would be the most logical approach.
    Current Mustangs:

Quote Originally Posted by 5pointoh View Post
    Is it easy enough just to replace the oil pressure sensor? It seems to me that would be the most logical approach.
    Sure you can swap the oil pressure sending unit and see if that makes any difference. If the sending unit is/was faulty then you may see a difference in the gauge reading. If the sending unit is/was NOT faulty then there may be no change in the gauge reading. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I just changed my sending unit, and the gauge reading is still the same. My next step is to use an oil pressure testing gauge to verify the readings.
    Last edited by 86 GT T-Top; 12-13-2018 at 01:55 PM. Reason: typo

If you need a stock gauge let me know and I will try to remove one out of a 84 extra cluster I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by supercharged347; 12-13-2018 at 09:44 PM. Reason: wrong post
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001