Close

Default Coyote Swap T Top Coupe Weight

So we finished the build on our 84 back in 2013. Most of the people on this site have seen it now or again. It was for sale last year, but then my wife and I came to our senses and it is still in our Garage.

Coyote swap Foxes are typically quicker than people think they would be. Over the years it still surprises me how quick this simple setup is and I always assumed it must be really light. We tossed it on the scale a few months ago and it was light, but not as light as I thought..:

3103 pounds with no one it in.

That is almost a full tank of gas and the donut spare and T Tops in the trunk.

Fox is also running a 4R70W so probably adds close to 100 pounds over a T5.

Full length MM Subrame connectors are really only added weight to Fox. No amps, sub boxes etc like my last one.
    Last edited by Her5.0; 12-12-2018 at 01:58 PM.
    1984 T Top Coupe-Coyote 5.0, 4R70W, Modified BBK Long Tubes, 3.73s-FOXOTE-(formerly...HERFOX)

FEP Ride of the Month January 2014.!!

Thats not to bad for all you have. My 79 swap coupe will weigh in around 2600, but it's fairly stripped. it still has the steel hood, doors, deck lid, and all glass. unfortunately I'll add all the weight back when I get my cage done.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

My coupe weighed in at 3220 lbs with full fluids. It has a full cage and all the beefy MM front and rear suspension parts. Engine has iron heads but aluminum flywheel and a T5. I did a lot to keep weight down, but did not give up a few creature comforts like the heater, wipers and added some sound matting. If I were to be ruthless about weight, probably could easily shed a couple hundred off it, but at the cost of street-ability.

If anyone hasn't seen it be sure to look it up. AMAZING
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

FEP Super Member

Does not surprise me .
    When swapping a 4 cam into my 91 coupe , the teksid was roughly 80 pounds lighter than the 302 .
    From the beginning my coupe was pretty light st 2800 dressed .
    After the swap, including the IRS , it was st 3150 , 3300 with me in it and a full tank of fuel .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTJIM View Post
    If anyone hasn't seen it be sure to look it up. AMAZING
    Thanks!!

===========

I guess Weight seems about right for a car that has heat, hydroboost power steering/brakes, wipers, full interior etc.

I have been toying with removing the 4R70w now that my wife doesnt really drive it anymore and go back to a beloved T5..that would get me under 3000 I bet with low fuel in the tank, but car is great with current set up so probably leave it alone..for now!
    1984 T Top Coupe-Coyote 5.0, 4R70W, Modified BBK Long Tubes, 3.73s-FOXOTE-(formerly...HERFOX)

Quote Originally Posted by Her5.0 View Post
    Thanks!!

===========

I guess Weight seems about right for a car that has heat, hydroboost power steering/brakes, wipers, full interior etc.

I have been toying with removing the 4R70w now that my wife doesnt really drive it anymore and go back to a beloved T5..that would get me under 3000 I bet with low fuel in the tank, but car is great with current set up so probably leave it alone..for now!
    Would you have to swap out control packs going back to a T5?
    Keith formerly STLPONDS

The Performance Automatic 4R70w has a stand alone computer so that would have to go. The Ford Racing ECU would remain, but I would have to add an OSS signal from the T5 and convert the signal using a Speed Dial to PCM. I had one way back in 2013, but found with the converter it wasnt needed as the car never stalled.

Of course that is how it was done back in 2012/2013 when all this Coyote Swap stuff started....there may be new methods to stop the stalling issue that used to plague the cars with manual transmissions....
    ==============

I miss rowing gears on a Fox, but the 4R70w really works well behind the Coyote. So these days when I feel the need to work a clutch I jump on one of my Harleys...
    Last edited by Her5.0; 12-13-2018 at 01:32 PM.

LOL sadly I started buying parts for my swap in 12-13 and I'm still not a 100% done. It's running but it's all tuning stuff now and alignment type stuff. Slow and steady wins the race right.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS

Exactly!!!