Close

Default -SIGH- another "my clothes stink" thread...

First, let me say I've been having an awful good time with this 351W. My current Electric Carb (FiTech 600) is running everything nicely although I'm still tuning cold starts with it.

Speaking of cold starts, that's where my stinky problem is occurring. Everything in my understanding is pointing to catalysts. The garage doesn't smell when dormant due to plumbed-in evap canister. During warm-up is when the smell is worst. Once it warms up it doesn't seem as noticeable. I currently have a Mac 2.5" 2-cat H pipe. The air pump is full-time plumbed to the cats (this was to pass visual inspection in NC). I realize that the air is really only needed when cold, but that doesn't explain the smells, as the cats should be lighting off earlier with the air coming in. Warm-up AFR is currently right above 13:1, which I wouldn't think would be TOO rich, and I'm basing this on the assumption that I'm getting an accurate read when warming up. As I said, I'm still tweaking cold-start. I may still have too much cranking fuel (having to open the throttles a bit to start). Still, it seems to smell for a while after start. Any ideas of anything I might be missing? The only thing left is to actually verify that the thermactor is pumping air. It's a parts store reman.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

Interesting, my cfi sits at around 12 to 1 at cold start no smells at all, ever. Is it a gas smell or a stinky exhaust/badly burned fuel smell or a rotten eggs smell?
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

I think it's that hydrocarbon stink. Has that rich condition smell...though I know it's not rich. Just hoping the cats are doing their job.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

Where is your idle rpm and timing?

you done a compression test?

With the Fitech on the 460 in my '79 f150 I had to turn the cranking fuel all the way down to 5 to get a better cold start. Still needs a little tweaking but significantly better than where I started.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

It idles right around 1100 rpm during early warmup...and that's with the IAC fully open. Timing is 12 at idle. I may still be fat while cranking/ASE, so I'm still tuning. I'm already at -10 on the cranking fuel and will continue to pull more out. Probably also go back to completely stop the prime fuel.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."