Close

Default 400 hp 302/331/347?

Hello! I own a '79 5.0 hatchback, and plan to swap to a later roller motor. Does anyone know a good way to make 400 horsepower on a 302? Can't be that expensive, I'm on a budget. Looking for at least 400, can be a stroker as well. I want to use the FI system on the later motor. This will be pretty much daily driven in decent weather and autocrossed. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by 79 Fox; 12-12-2018 at 07:30 AM.

Are we talking about 400 hp to the wheels? That's a tall order with a 302, and will require a hefty budget. It will be much easier with a stroker, but they aren't exactly cheap either.

But then the word budget means different things to different people.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    Are we talking about 400 hp to the wheels? That's a tall order with a 302, and will require a hefty budget. It will be much easier with a stroker, but they aren't exactly cheap either.

But then the word budget means different things to different people.
    I'm going for crank horsepower. Also, to me, for this engine, $4,500 is the max cost. This would include headers and FI upgrades
    Last edited by 79 Fox; 12-12-2018 at 08:55 AM.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...-block-engine/

Vehicle weight reduction is same as adding free hp.

HP vs torque depends on what rpm range engine will be realistically operating most of the time and primary use.
    For a daily driver, high torque, rather than high hp, is desirable. As is fuel economy. Who needs a 12 mpg dd?
    Wide flat power curve works for autocross and dd. The right amount of power at the right time= fun driving.
    Drag racing, oval track, or road race is hp for high speeds. Autocross is short and slow.

Of course the rest of the car has to be up to the task. Suspension, chassis, drive train.
    No one wants to constantly work on an engine or car in order to drive it, unless its a hobby or profession.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets15.html
    Last edited by gr79; 12-12-2018 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...-block-engine/

Vehicle weight reduction is same as adding free hp.

HP vs torque depends on what rpm range engine will be realistically operating most of the time and primary use.
    For a daily driver, high torque, rather than high hp, is desirable. As is fuel economy. Who needs a 12 mpg dd?
    Wide flat power curve works for autocross and dd. The right amount of power at the right time.
    Drag racing, oval track, or road race is hp for high speeds. Autocross is short and slow.

Of course the rest of the car has to be up to the task. Suspension, chassis, drive train.
    No one wants to constantly work on an engine or car in order to drive it, unless its a hobby or profession.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets15.html
    I've seen this article before. Do you run something like this in your own car? These articles are great and all, but many never show how reliable these engines are later on down the line. From what I've read in this article, it seems like a pretty safe combo. I would, however, like to run the factory injection system upgraded to handle the power. There are 2 main reasons that I'd like to stick with EFI. 1, it's just plain cool, and 2, EFI will allow you to easily run electronic exhaust cutouts without problems. Also, fuel economy doesn't matter to me all that much. We would bore the engine .030 over to a 306. This will probably require new pistons. This engine seems like a good idea.

Sounds like a plan. One is always happier doing a goal as planned or at least trying, rather than compromise.
    Others here on site know more about hotrodding V8's than me. Much info on this site.
    Articles are good to consider options, learn about parts, to form a plan, dream about, or reject as garbage.
    You are right. Where are followup? The rest of the story. Anyone can build engines. How has it worked out?

Have a stock carbed mildly blueprinted 2.3T 79 Cobra. Carb engines are more flexible to tune and mod than EFI.
    Also have a EFI 2.3 93 Ranger. Do enjoy overall EFI type of engine management. Mods, repairs- harder, cost more.

An over bore WILL require new pistons.

You might research some of the stroker assemblies on the market. As for the block you will need to clearance the bottom of the bores to make room for the crank swing with the longer stroke, but the kits either come with templates or you can mock it up and see where you need to grind out metal.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

400 at the crank is done via AFR 165 or 185 heads shooting for 11:1 compression, HO cam, 1.7:1 rockers, good induction, good headers and exhaust.

AFRs with a typhoon EFI intake, 24 lb injectors, and a Cobra ECU will get darn close to 400 at the crank ..... and on a miserly budget.

or get a 351W out of an E250 or E350 van and use drop mounts and a spaced K member to avoid changing the hood. You can get a lot more out of a 351W, especially if you stroke it to 408 and beyond

I’d stay 8.2 deck based for weight reasons and drop weight where possible and make up the difference.

400 at the wheels is a lot for a fox. You’re looking at GT500 level performance wit that kind of HP to weight.

Trans and rearend will need attention

gforce

built 8.8
    Last edited by erratic50; 12-16-2018 at 09:02 PM.