Close

Default 84 Needs horsepower

I bought a 1984 LX with the 3.8L V6 this year. I am ready to start adding some HP. However, finding parts for an 84 V6 seems to be challenging. Any suggestions on sites? Dealers? Mods? I am not trying to do anything too crazy, just add a little pep.

Normally, Fords standard engines just lap up modifications like a hungry dog, and it'll sit up an beg.

The 3.8 isn't like that. It can be, but not the stock 1983 to 1995 engines. They have specific problems that need very structured responses to master. Normally, any CFi engine just needs a good intake and exhaust, cam and transmission, and your good to get another 50 hp or so. The 3.8 isn't like that. It's alloy head and EECIV system make life very hard.

Mikes Walkin'Tall "Nutters-by-pass" works good.

2-bbl carb, Duraspark, and removal of some aspects of the OEM fuel delivery system.

Read everything, but page 4 and 5 are best

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...e-build-thread

But your better off with a v8

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...yed-V6-5-speed

Examples of what a 302 can do...it always out performs any other smaller engine combination, and because it can carry stratospheric gear ratios, it always matches any other engine in real world driving for fuel economy. It wasn't until the 4.0 liter Cologne V6 that a Bent Six ever matched the horspower/torque and miles per gallon compromise as well as the 1982 to 1986 5.0's.

The 3.8 was always just a 255/4.2 liter V8 replacement, itself a de-clawed cat if ever there was one. Those engines were always gap fillers that never offered much potential. The guys that made them really honk, had to raid very specific parts and spend a heck of a lot of money making them work. Tom Morana Racing specializes in the 3.8L, but you'll have to raid a much latter block. Until the 1989-1992 3.8 SC, no Essex 90 block was really good enough to lean on in any form...the block was reconfigured again in 1996 to ensure all the head gasket and water in bearing problems were eliminated...and it soon was up sized to 3.9 or 4.2 liters and became a very good truck engine till 2007. Your 84 engine has very little relationship to those later, much improved engines

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    There was a guy on another forum that had two 87 cougars, one a 3.27 rear aod cfi 3.8, the other was a bone stock s.o. 302 with an aod and optional towing package with 3.27 gears. He made mods to the 3.8 to increase gas mileage taking meticulous notes with each mod. When comparing the two directly, the 3.8 had 2% better city gas mileage and highway it was a wash, with the 302 getting the same or better.

With the 302 having way more torque and a bit more hp, no reason not to use it.
    I think that most gas mileage depends on gearing. Every 1000 rpm uses about 4x the fuel.

Their is a company in Canada that specializes in the 3.8 Ford v6. The shop is Morana racing. They ship modified parts.

Default 84 Needs horsepower

It’s so cheap and easy to put a 302 in a mustang that i wouldn’t bother trying to hop up a v6.

I swapped the 3.8 in my ‘83 for a 302 almost 10 years ago. No fabrication and all off the shelf parts.

Lots more horsepower and similar gas mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the best option if I want a major change is a 302, but I am not interested in swapping the motor right now. That may come later down the road, but right now I am just looking to add 20-30 Hp with some modifications. Trying to stay true to the original car. If I end up wanting a 5.0 then I will probably just buy a Notch Fox and keep this one the way it sits. It is just a nice car.

I don’t think there’s anyway to add 30hp to a 3.8.

There is very little aftermarket support for this engine as it was never a performance engine.

4:10 gears would give you a better seat of the pants feel but then you’d need an overdrive if you want to drive on the highway. An AOD would bolt right in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As already stated, I believe you will be hard pressed to add much HP to the 3.8 without major $$ and modifications.

At this point, making sure the car is tuned and in tip/top shape in regards to ignition, carb, etc. will get the most power out of the vehicle. You might consider a quality exhaust system to try and free up any HP that might be choked off there. After that, I would say just drive the heck out of it and enjoy it. If the power still isn't enough, start looking at parts for a 302 conversion. That is what I did with my 79 PC.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller