Close

Default 1985 GT 5-speed 89,000 miles soon to be completed and listed.

Well it’s been many years in the making. The hardest part of it will be when it’s completely finished because it’s going up for sale the day it’s done.

Here are a few pictures of it. Some are a before and after setup.

Car was originally an injected auto and is a carb manual now with something like 89,000 original miles. Bought it from my wife’s grandfather who was the second owner.

Just to touch on a few details...

Ron Francis Express Wiring Harness
    Spec Steel Flywheel
    Spec Stage 1 Clutch
    Steeda Clutch Quadrant and Billet Click Adjuster
    MSD 8.5 Plug Wires
    MSD billet distributor
    MSD 6al box
    MSD blaster 2 coil
    Stock block bored to 306
    TF Harmonic Balancer
    ASP Under Drive Pulleys
    TF twisted wedge heads
    Lunati link bar lifters
    Dual LSX springs from Ed Curtis
    Custom grind billet cam from Ed Curtis
    TF chromoly pushrods
    Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake
    Holley 650 DP
    Holley Fuel Pressure regulator (still electric pump)
    Dual Contour electric fans
    130 Amp Alternator
    8.8” rear end with 3.73
    TF Diff cover/Girdle
    Eibach front and rear sway bars
    Eibach sportline springs
    Eibach Front Struts and rear Shocks
    New spring isolators front and back
    New axle side upper control arm bushings
    New Optima Red (relocated to hatch)
    BBK ceramic coated long-tubes
    BBK off-road h-pipe
    MAC cat back with 3” chrome tips
    ARP EVERYTHING! Lol

I’m sure I’m missing some items but that’s the bulk of it at least.

Spent a lot of time working with this car over the past 5 years. It’s been a ton of fun and I wish I could keep it but it won’t be realistic for me due to lack of space. All of these parts have 0 miles on them so far but that’ll change once it’s completed.

Just wanted to show everyone what I’ve been working on. I didn’t like modding a car like this but when I got it, it had already been converted to carb and 5-speed so I just continued the build out that way.

Thanks for checking out my build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s the first start video:
    https://youtu.be/bsxqsx9_5jU

And here’s the most resent video of it idling:
    https://youtu.be/6Wjt-vP4_dE

More parts came in today!

Progressing right along.

Parts are awesome! Except when a car says “give me parts” beside the road.

Agreed. My two year old and I love getting mustang parts. I’ll have to film his reaction sometime.

FEP Supporter

Nice looking and sounding build! Loving the whole package!

Which Holley carb is that and have you done any mods to it? Kind of looks like a Quick Fuel with those red metering blocks.
    '85 GT

It’s the I can’t remember the exact model number but it’s the 650 double pumper with electric choke and mechanical secondaries. Came with the anodized red metering blocks and base plate and the body tumble polished.

It’s the Holley Ultra Double Pumper 0-76650RD
    There are two other color options, one being black and the other being blue, as opposed to mine being red.

FEP Supporter

10-4
    '85 GT

So something dangerous happened today... I began thinking...

This car keeps dragging out and I’m ready to get it done. I’m going make a list of what tasks I have left and share it with you all to see if anyone has suggestions or recommendations while I’m completing these last few items up. I say “a few items” but once I started writing the list down it grew to be much larger than I expected. None of the tasks are overwhelmingly daunting but there are tons of little tasks that add up.

Posted the unboxing video of the suspension today. Below is the link. I’ll do an install and full review as well.

https://youtu.be/FHrfXUKGlWo

Since I’m only finishing this car to sell it, I’d like to get everyone’s opinion on control arms.

Currently the car has stock upper and lower control arms out back. I have the new shocks, struts, springs, and sway bars waiting for me to have an afternoon to put it all in. I also have the new upper axle bushings.

Questions for everyone is... should I go ahead and buy a full set of control arms or leave the stockers? Would replacing the control arms make the car THAT much easier to sell? I realize I won’t get my money back but some of the parts I’ve thrown at it recently have been in hopes of bringing a little more money when it comes time to sell.

Ready... set... thoughts!

Looks like a really nice car. Engine bay cleaned up really well.

Probably hard to say on the control arms, it's going to come down to the buyer. You might have a potential buyer that won't care because they want to install their preference of parts or you could have a potential buyer that's looking for a built car and thinks you half-assed it.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Thanks, I appreciate it! Unfortunately the engine bay didn’t end up as clean as I had planned. It was my first go at using a paint gun and real pint versus always having used rattle can before. Something happened to the paint and it kind of lost the shine and is super tacky when the sun is on it for too long. Still looks 10x better than it did but if I was to do it again, I’d put in “holeless” inner fenders and try to figure out what happened to my paint.

Yeah, I completely agree and see what you’re saying about the control arms. I’m torn...

Some progress has been made but very little...
    Old front suspension -

New front suspension -

Also ended up replacing the ball joints and tie rod ends because they had seen better days...

Unfortunately as I was putting the brakes back on I noticed two issues.

First being that the pads had some crazy uneven front to back wear. That concerns me since the car hasn’t been driven for 5 years. My guess is that the issue causing it is amplified greatly.

Second issue is that my brake lines are split. I had a 2x4 holding the caliper up but the line isn’t as pliable as it was 32 years ago I guess.

I need to stop finding things to fix because my budget and time was up a year ago and now I need to sell it! Lol

FEP Senior Member

It looks and sounds great. It’s unfortunate you have to seel it to some lucky owner.

Default 1985 GT 5-speed 89,000 miles soon to be completed and listed.

Thank you for the kind words!

Yeah, I hate having to sell it. In a perfect situation I would keep it but with four kids and only a two car garage, I don’t have the time or space for it.

My hope is that I can stop spending money on it soon so I can at least break even on the car.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Blownsob View Post
    My hope is that I can stop spending money on it soon so I can at least break even on the car.
    I'm rooting for you! I'm in the same boat with my '90 vert... Oy vey... lol
    '85 GT

It’s amazing how quickly it all adds up. I’ve invested more in parts than what I paid for the car and it keeps going up.

Seems like every single time I dig in and fix something, I find another part that is worn and needs replaced. It’s going to almost be a new car when I’m done. Lol

I even considered selling it as-is with some minor finishing but I’m not sure I could get what I need that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Blownsob View Post
    Since I’m only finishing this car to sell it, I’d like to get everyone’s opinion on control arms.

Currently the car has stock upper and lower control arms out back. I have the new shocks, struts, springs, and sway bars waiting for me to have an afternoon to put it all in. I also have the new upper axle bushings.

Questions for everyone is... should I go ahead and buy a full set of control arms or leave the stockers? Would replacing the control arms make the car THAT much easier to sell? I realize I won’t get my money back but some of the parts I’ve thrown at it recently have been in hopes of bringing a little more money when it comes time to sell.

Ready... set... thoughts!

Are the LCA bushings shot? If you are trying to make money on the sale, I would replace with whatever is the cheapest. However if you are looking to impress a buyer then MM LCAs are the best option. I believe J&M have the same bushing/joint setup as MM but is not as well known if that matters.

I haven’t taken the rear end out of the car yet to inspect everything. My guess would be that they’re probably okay but I’ve had bigger surprises before. I did however buy new axle side upper control arm bushings and the MM tool to replace those.

I’m having a hard time determining what is worth buying and what’s not at this point to make a sale easier. Just kind of a toss up on some of this stuff.

I definitely appreciate your input and will probably leave them stock unless bushings are shot.

Alright everyone, status update!!!

It’s been months so below are the updates with more to follow tomorrow hopefully.

8.8 removed and prepped.

Then sprayed with truck bed liner and diff cover installed.

Axle bushings installed...

Found a fuel leak (split line), then discovered the fuel pump was loose due to bad/old bushings and a stripped stud. All of that was then “re-engineered” and installed.

Optimistic about tomorrow!

Well, I got some more done yesterday. Had some additional tasks around the house too. Progress none the less.

Side note... crawling around on the garage floor to install a rearend by myself is not nearly as easy as it was 10 years ago. I’m all kinds of sore today.