Close

Thread: Motor swap

Default Motor swap

Well im at that stage and im looking for a parts car to finish the mechanical s on my 86 capri. So the only ones that I can find out here in L.A. are 95 Mustang GT's. and only afew 5 speeds (that is what I need) so my question is to anybody who has done a 1995 transplant into a 86... Is there anything that I should know? what is all that is needed in the swap. Im thinking it should be easy, I have never done a swap on a fuel injected motor from a 95 to 86
    before
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    Well im at that stage and im looking for a parts car to finish the mechanical s on my 86 capri. So the only ones that I can find out here in L.A. are 95 Mustang GT's. and only afew 5 speeds (that is what I need) so my question is to anybody who has done a 1995 transplant into a 86... Is there anything that I should know? what is all that is needed in the swap. Im thinking it should be easy, I have never done a swap on a fuel injected motor from a 95 to 86
    before
    The 95 5.0 is not all that different than the Fox 5.0 EFI cars. Essentially it has all the improvements and upgrades over the years. The intake manifold is different in regards to the throttle body inlet due to the different shape of the 94/95 engine bay. The front drive accessories are different also since the A/C was moved to the bottom on the passenger side. The T5 bellhousing is deeper due to the added length of the input shaft on the T5, and the EFI is MAF not Speed Density.

If using the original ECU for the 95 you will need to either convert your 86 wiring harness to the MAF or tie the 95 engine harness into the 86 body harness. The upper intake I believe will fit the Fox chassis, but you may need to either use the throttle cable from the 95 or modify your 86 to work. you can leave the front drive accessories as is and modify as needed to work with your car. That will mean some wiring and custom hoses for the A/C, wiring upgrade for the alternator and maybe PS hose from a 95 to go from the pump to the R&P. As long as you use the T5 with the original 95 bellhousing, there are no issues. If you needed/wanted to use it with a Fox bellhousing you have to swap the input shaft in the T5 for the shorter Fox input.

I am sure there are some things I am forgetting and hopefully others will fill in those blanks! Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Front dress / accessories should be changed to yours, even the timing cover / water pump are shorter.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The 95 5.0 is not all that different than the Fox 5.0 EFI cars. Essentially it has all the improvements and upgrades over the years. The intake manifold is different in regards to the throttle body inlet due to the different shape of the 94/95 engine bay. The front drive accessories are different also since the A/C was moved to the bottom on the passenger side. The T5 bellhousing is deeper due to the added length of the input shaft on the T5, and the EFI is MAF not Speed Density.

If using the original ECU for the 95 you will need to either convert your 86 wiring harness to the MAF or tie the 95 engine harness into the 86 body harness. The upper intake I believe will fit the Fox chassis, but you may need to either use the throttle cable from the 95 or modify your 86 to work. you can leave the front drive accessories as is and modify as needed to work with your car. That will mean some wiring and custom hoses for the A/C, wiring upgrade for the alternator and maybe PS hose from a 95 to go from the pump to the R&P. As long as you use the T5 with the original 95 bellhousing, there are no issues. If you needed/wanted to use it with a Fox bellhousing you have to swap the input shaft in the T5 for the shorter Fox input.

I am sure there are some things I am forgetting and hopefully others will fill in those blanks! Good Luck!
    Hey thanks Trey,
    Some great info and the only thing I was worried about was the ECU harness. My original harness was hacked up so I had to get different parts of the harness from j/y cars, so I have been worried if I did the wires correct. So with a parts car I can just pull out what I did and replace it with the complete 95 harness to the ECU
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

The basic air pump stuff has to stay, but you can use Exploter or F150 accessory drives if the basics are kept. The Aussie XR8 stuff can be used because its a hodge potch of Explorer, F150 and MN12 Thunderbird and Fox4 SN95 Mustang.

The Fox4 platform went OBDII that year on OHV 5.0's, so you need to wire through the 25 pin OBDII port, the MIL lamp and ensure the coding works, and fuel flap and evap trap stuff to make the 103 pins data and sensor lines all active like it is in the donor vehicle. Smartock and coded entry can even be be kept.

It's a lot of fun to carry forward an active VIN numbers details, especially such a strong one as the last Windsor 5.0 was. Don't fear it, and have fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    Hey thanks Trey,
    Some great info and the only thing I was worried about was the ECU harness. My original harness was hacked up so I had to get different parts of the harness from j/y cars, so I have been worried if I did the wires correct. So with a parts car I can just pull out what I did and replace it with the complete 95 harness to the ECU
    I remembered you had sourced some wiring for the 86. The 1986 EFI wiring for the Mustang/Capri is unique to that year model only, so that can cause some headaches in that regard since the 1985 is different and so is the 1987 models and later. Depending on how bad your 86 wiring is and how much integrating you want to do will determine which is best for your application. It will take some time and being detail oriented to wire in the 95 harness if you choose, but I have no doubt you can tackle it. The odds are it's in better shape than the 86 stuff, so probably the better option. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

2nd chance cobra ...... wealth of knowledge on this one

his 79 has everything from a 94-95 under it

i would dump the 94-95 elbow, swap to a Fox EGR spacer and throttle body, etc

Just use the 95 engine harness and ECM, then you don't have to convert anything. All you'll need to do is merge a few wires into the existing subsystems in the car (about 6) and she'll run. if the 95 stuff is similar to the 88 I just swapped into my 86 CFI V6 car, there are only two wires in the grey connector that are mission-critical Both red with different colour stripes. One is crank and run power and one is crank only. Then 4 wires in the supplementary green 8 pin connector next to the EEC. Those are ignition source, FPR/Inertia/FP. There is also a single hot wire from the starter solenoid going in here on the 86. There is main battery EEC power, then there are three mission critical grounds: the EEC dedicated ground (fuse holder looking thingy near batt, engine block ground near firewall and a small ground near the EEC box itself. That's it...it's pretty dumb actually. You may have to do even less than I, as you already have a V8 car. You may just be able to plug in the two round 8 pin connectors from the 95 harness to your 86 stuff. Check the pinouts though.

Beware of the 94-95 ECU. The A/F and timing strategy where not the best. Do a search on pinging for those years. My friend and I chased it down forever on his 95 and never got a resolve. He ended up selling it and then a few years later the consensus was that the factory strategy was on the bleeding edge of running lean assumed for best mpg? Of course this won’t matter if you are going to tune or use an earlier ECU

Yes I did. If you can read a manual, and have a meter and a solder iron go for it. Especially if you can get the whole car. They are usually cheap and worn out. Lots of good stuff there. I think I paid 900 for mine, took what I needed and sold the rest off. Probably got half my money back. PM me if you have questions, I'd be glad to help. Regarding the 94-5 ecu, mine seems to run fine. Its completely stock. We'll see how it goes when I start fiddling with the engine. Now, I'm a gm guy so take this for what worth, 94 and 5 were transition years to obd2. GM stuff was a random assortment of partial obd2 stuff getting ready for 96. I presume ford had the same thing going on. Obd2 was a big deal. Anyhow, they may have quirks but still worked.
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 12-10-2018 at 07:11 PM.

What type of diagnostic port does the 94-95 have? Is it technically an EEC-IV or is it technically considered an EEC-V ?

I've heard they have OBD2 ports but they are not connected on 94/95 mustangs.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    Yes I did. If you can read a manual, and have a meter and a solder iron go for it. Especially if you can get the whole car. They are usually cheap and worn out. Lots of good stuff there. I think I paid 900 for mine, took what I needed and sold the rest off. Probably got half my money back. PM me if you have questions, I'd be glad to help. Regarding the 94-5 ecu, mine seems to run fine. Its completely stock. We'll see how it goes when I start fiddling with the engine. Now, I'm a gm guy so take this for what worth, 94 and 5 were transition years to obd2. GM stuff was a random assortment of partial obd2 stuff getting ready for 96. I presume ford had the same thing going on. Obd2 was a big deal. Anyhow, they may have quirks but still worked.
    Cool thanks, they are slim pickings out here in L.A. lol and I dont want to hack up an 86 so thats why a 95, but Looking for a 5 speed found a few but a distance away but might have to get an auto and then fine a 5 speed but then will need the ECU for the 5 speed. I have been talking to a guy with an auto 89 GTwho is local, but then still need to fine the trans. I need the motor/trans/drive shaft/gas tank/exhaust system/smog crap and some other little things
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    What type of diagnostic port does the 94-95 have? Is it technically an EEC-IV or is it technically considered an EEC-V ?

I thought they started in 96 with the 4.6?
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Yeah sorry about that. Absolutely, all 94-95 5.0's were all EECIV. It has activated PID's, real time data, and is really nice to work with.

Only the 1994 model year and up 3.8 V6 stangs are all EECV and 100% OBDII .

1994 and 1995 5.0's are not EECV, but they have a lot of work-alike hookups which means you should look at hooking up the additional EECV style hook-ups.

The 94-95 5.0's did use a different processor with a unique pin layout, but it is still an EEC-IV.

The OBD II port on a 95 is partly functional, but not OBD II functional if it's a V8 car; it still has the stock OBD I underhood DLC connecter as well as the ODBII connector.

Only the V6 models were fully OBD II,

Everything V8 before the official 96 model year uses the same EEC test port under the hood on the GT/Cobra.

A few notes:-

The computer calibration for the 94-95's was much softer, to protect less strong main bearings and less detonation resistant hyper pistons, non longer forged as the 85-93 5.0 HO pistons.

Performance and upgrading was limited, but it was due to drive train warranty with the heavier SN95 using F150 and MN12 stratergies to protect the running gear. The EECV phase in ment the 3.8 got OBDII and EECV.

For V8's, the EEC-V debuted in the Mustang in 96 with the OHC 4.6.

The real joy with the 95 is how much of the later non OBDII Aussie EECV stuff can be punched in without other ECM upgrades. The Aussie 5.0's were variously MN12, F150, SN95 and then 96 onwards to 2002 5.0 Explorer/5.0 Mountaineer based. Your stock T-bird and Explorer 215 ratings rose to 248 and 270 hp with minimal mods.

You have the 91-95 HO cam:
    Lift: .278 intake, .278 exhaust
    Duration: 276 intake, 266 exhaust
    Overlap: 39 degrees, 19.51 factor
    Lobe Center: 116 intake, 115 exhaust
    Ford P/N: F1ZE-AA (91-94) F4ZE-EA (95)

Confirming that this cam was used in the 335 hp 5.6 stroker with 1.72:1 roller rockers and GT40P heads. Its found on the 268 and 295 hp 5.0 Tickford Synergy 5000 engine package in the AU Falcons and Fairlanes

Its just the basic 5.0 HO 1988-1993 Version 2 cam with a newer part number.

Overall Roller cam Production figures are effectively four types, revised four times:
    85-88 5.0: E5ZE-6250-AA 266°/266° at lash 444/444 thou lift (Version 1)
    89-90 5.0 : E8ZE-6250-CA 276°/266° at lash 444/444 thou lift (Version 2)
    91-93 5.0: F1ZE-6250-AA 276°/266° at lash 444/444 thou lift (Version 2)
    93 Cobra 5.0: F3ZE-6250-CA 270°/270° at lash 479/479 thou lift with 1.7 rocker arm ratio (Version 3)
    94 Cobra 5.0: F1ZE-6250-AA 276°/266° at lash 444/444 thou (Version 2)
    95 Cobra 5.0: F4ZE-6250-DA 276°/266° at lash 444/444 thou lift (Version 2)
    96-01 Explorer 5.0:F4TE-6250-BA 256°/266°at lash 422/448 thou lift (Version 4)

It is Fords best ever stock 5.0 HO cam. Great choice. Due to other matters, Ford downplayed the Cobra and Lightening Version 3 cams from this Version 2 specification....it's got quite a chop to it, and its well liked. The exhaust timing governs how much four gas emissions are emitted on the 7 mile LA Basin emissions tests. Ford toned down the GT40 intake and headed engines to pass durablity and emissions requirements.

Plus, you get the 94-5 brakes, rear end, and more importantly all the bits and pieces to make it work. Those bits and pieces are what spiral a build out of financial control. If you want to read through my build thread I tried to lay out what I did with pics.

Would it be easier and cheaper to carb the car with a 4bbl and intake and get a new wiring harness from painless, then you would not have a hacked up wiring harness. I have a 95 cobra motor and all I did was installed it and everything worked fine from my 1984. Change the sending unit in the gas tank and put a electric fuel pump on it. Unless you like computers and fuel injection. Just a idea as everything is easy to find. I have installed several painless wiring harnesses and they are very easy, just time consuming, they run around $450.00.
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001

Plus, you get the 94-5 brakes, rear end, and more importantly all the bits and pieces to make it work. Those bits and pieces are what spiral a build out of financial control. If you want to read through my build thread I tried to lay out what I did with pics.
    I would like to read up on what you did, where can I find it?
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

I would like to read up on what you did, where can I find it?
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Cant do that, Im in Cali-smoggia and thats a no no
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

I brought it to the top for you

A great build up, 2nd chance cobra!.

Just a note. The EECV internal mapping can run TFI and do so in a 100% 60 Pin EECIV case. For the in line 4.0 SOHC, Ford Australia used a 60pin EECIV connector but inside was a non OBD 2 100% EECV computer. Although only a work-about for a specific and minor Australian six cylinder OHC 4.0 idle problem, the computer has been cracked and mapped, and you can use the supported Binaries and Definitions to upgrade a stock 1995 5.0 Mustang to the more aggressive 248, 268, and 295 hp trims without the extra three EDIS code inputs. The fortified EB/ED 1992 to 1996 Falcon XR8 Sprint tunes allow up to 300 hp with the right parts while still returning the normal fault codes through the underhood six pin DTC link.

They stock J3 Performance Chips to suit all the 221, 246, 268 and 295 hp versions of the EB, ED, EF, EF, EL, older XG and XH Ford Falcon based XR8 US import engines. Main point is that the stock 1995 emissions legality remains, and you can use later out side closed loop table tunes without impinging on your normal IM test requirements. On a much lighter Fox 5.0, that allows a lot of extra under wide open throttle power and torque, which was specifically softened by Ford to preserve a now 3500 pound car with a T5. On a 500 to 800 pound lighter car, it no longer needs the torque reduction algorithim, and you can dial in an extra 50 to 60 lb-ft of mid range torque outside the normal EPA test procedure.

see https://www.tiperformance.com.au/library/tuning-files/

(In 1993 to 1996, Ford Australia had an end use problem with the Falcon EF 4.0Liter. IIRC, it was the first Ford EECV. It used a semi EDIS direct ignition that had sometimes had Speed Density problems causing it to fall over intermittently...a follow on, iit also had problems running the aftermarket LPG systems Taxi Falcons used. Ford Australia simply switched back to a TFi distributor for 1996 EL model and to do that, it used the stock EECIV 4.0L pinouts.)

Because the information is great, this is a project you'll enjoy much more than your 3.3 Black Magic re-emission.

Emissions is controlled by your exhaust valve timing, so Ford USA was careful to divide development up into a Bunch of Fives mods, which have given us the cams all limited to 266 or so at lash degrees at the exhaust.

All Ford did was from the Explorer to the wilder Cobras, they just edged up on the intake duration, and they added extra anchovies to five other parts

the

1. EFI upper and lower intake system
    2. exhaust package (header size, and tail pipe(s))
    3. heads (machining, casting number, valve lift, springs and rocker ratios)
    4. Ignition base map for fuel type
    and
    5. computer mapping

In these five areas, each of the stock 215/216/221 hp and the modified 248, 268 and 295 (and the 335 hp, 342 cube stock bore T3 5.6 liter stoker as well) had these five parts optimized.

The USA 5.0 engines had only the stock 205/215/225 5.0's, then the laughable 235 of the Cobra SVT, then some of the SN95 Saleens emissions approved options.

The Aussie versions kept the basic USA CARB emissions maps, and then added base timing for our 95 octane, your 93 octane gas (For the base 5.0's, 91 octane stock, your 89).

So as long as you have the pin-outs and DTC codes active, you can go up to other CARB approved modifications as long as you keep the air pump and stock closed loop computer settings.

A good person to weigh into this is Mikestang from Firestone, CO.

He does some work on customer Miata V8's (like, building another four extra caged racers with V8S!), and they have the same issues with modifications since Collorado has the same IM testing. Most race cars are emissions legal, but a lot are dual purpose street and track cars.

Although Speed Density, his old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car has injection, and when converted to MAF, some great crossover's from the later engines can waken up an on the Edge of OBD2 car.

They are the ones to pick, because emissions compliance is easier from the donar vehicle, and the codes are really good from a hand scanner like the OTC 3211 below

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...rts-info/page2

In this post, 86Stripper identified all earlier and later VECI emissions stuff so it can be rehooked up.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy
    By the early 1990s certain 5.0 and 5.8 Ford/Lincoln/Mercury models had sensor data streaming capability. The feature is technically called DCL (Data Communications Link), not just DTC's. These models have 2 additional data bus wires to the EEC-IV diagnostic connector.

But Live data is avaliable although its polling rate is low. PIDs (parameter IDs) were set up by Ford as OBD I (a 1991 and later California) standard.

Technically, most EEC-IV around 91 and later supports the live data stream without twEECer or Moats Quarter Horse.

with twEECer or Moats Q/H http://www.tweecer.com/ will plug in the J3 port and look at the data after the EEC filters it

with sneeciv http://www.racesystems.com/sneeciv/sneec.htm will give you data from between the harness and EEC

OTC 3211 opens up any PIDS, the EEC IV sensors and relays which are monitored via the old 007 breakout box.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Its EECIV, with Activated PIDs.

For activated Point Identification Data like the later OBD2's had, Ford changed the DTC link from a 6+1 to a twin four pin,

with two separate earths to pole extra data. Its two 4 pin plug.

The 1991-1993 Lincoln LSC, and E vans and F150/250/350's with Speed Density, the Villager, and the last 1995 5.0 MN12's and Mustangs

Disconnect Diagnostic Test Connector (DTC) located on LH side of engine compartment, on transaxle behind coolant reservoir.
    Using suitable jumper wire, jump BL/W and GY/BL wires.
    Accessing DTCs. MIL

1.Wait about two seconds.
    2.Remove jumper wire and reconnect DTC.
    3. Record DTCs by reading MIL flashes.

If this were my car, I’d make it a clear cut case. A 1986 with MAF conversion. Other routes will be harder to deal with down the road

Get a Pro-comp or Typhoon intake, fox 65MM TB, Fox style EGR spacer, fox accessory brackets, etc

NAVYCAT's machine is MAF converted because of its engine swap. Always a great move.

Unless im mistaken, in USA, all Lincoln 5.0s remained speed density while the 5.0 Mustangs swapped in all states by 1988 ish. The truck and Lincoln computers PIDs allows you to trace a lot of difficult sensor faults.