Close

Default 70's Classic Reimagined-the ultimate crossover!

I stumbled across this the other day, and it blew me away...combine a classically trained vocalist from a heavy metal band and mix with a 70s folk icon's signature classic. I know they released this a while back, but with a wife and two daughters I don't hear a lot of Disturbed in my house, so I missed it. I'm always impressed when I see a true professional showing the range of what they can do, even if it's not their typical genre. Anyway, if you like mellow or metal, you'll like this if you haven't heard it before!

https://youtu.be/Bk7RVw3I8eg

Last edited by Matt J; 12-07-2018 at 04:18 PM.

FEP Super Member

Saw them live in October with my granddaughters.
    They did this song , and a few other in the same genre.
    It was awesome.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I heard this version when it was first released a couple of years. I personally LOVE IT! Bought the whole album because of this one song alone.

Funny thing was I knew that I KNEW the song, but couldn't place it or the artist until I finally looked it up. Couldn't believe it was Simon and Garfunkel. Must have heard it/learned it from my Mother as I was never really a Simon and Garfunkel kind of guy.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I'm not often impressed by covers of songs, particularly ones as moving as the original Simon and Garfunkel work wich I am most familiar, but that is very good. I couldn't help but think how prophetic the lyrics are as I listened to it with the proliferation of social media and the devices we use to access it.

It's certainly interesting. I'm not a fan of the "nu-metal" though. Mostly because it came along and replaced my beloved grunge/alternative that I enjoyed during my most formative years. StainD and Papa Roach are particularly objectionable. Therefore, I have more of a vested interest in seeing these bands fail than succeed. Disturbed had a long string of VERY similar songs before now, so I never gave them much credit. That cover is only missing one thing. Should I go there? I'm going there. It just needs: "Ohhh-Wah-ah-ah-ah!".
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Ha, I saw what you did there!

I think the nu-metal sounds more like the 80s stuff I grew up with, music tastes moves in cycles, I guess. No doubt grunge will be back, though it'll be called something else.

I feel like I should give Paul Simon his due and mention that the original isn't a 70's song, it was actually written in 1964. It's both impressive and sad that the song is just as pertinent today as it was over 50 years ago, maybe even more so now. The best description of the remake was that the original was a warning, the remake shows the rage that the warning was ignored.

FEP Member

Great cover of a great song..disturbed has always had some catchy songs...they do a cover of genesis land of confusion that is pretty badass too