Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looks like my riding days are over for a while...

Headed to work early this am. Saw a forest rat (deer. Decent sized buck) come up the embankment on my left and shoot into the road. I was able to scrub a lot of speed off but he still hit me, left side of the fairing. I was near the right fog line down to maybe 25-30 from the 60 I was riding. Went down.
    Got off pretty good in reality. Broken toe on left foot (big toe. Walking sucks big time) and tore my AC right shoulder. Safety glasses cut the bridge of my nose.

But I am walking! Today sucked.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

A couple pics...Name:  IMG_3944.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  107.7 KBName:  IMG_3942.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  125.9 KB

83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

I call spousal unit who goes to bike to wait for tow truck. Some a**hole parks and started looking for stuff to steal! She ran him off!

Blog Entries

Unbelievable. We actually had to physically remove one Dbag who was trying to steal tools from a van vs utility pole accident. Unreal how crappy people can be.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Wow! Glad it was not worse, it sure could have been. Here is to a quick recovery

I'm glad that you're "basically" okay!
    You did a very good job at reducing the impact consequences.

Getting into an accident on a motorcycle often has very bad results. :-(

Thanks, guys! Thankfully I have had a lot of driver training (been a police driving instructor since 2001) so that helped. And who knows, maybe other forces were at play... I know I am thankful.

Welcome to the club of riders nobody wants to join. Sorry about the mishap, but glad you are still with us to share the story. I hit a deer ten years ago on my bike, broke my ankle and destroyed my shoulder. My riding gear prevented more serious injuries and saved me from having any road rash despite the slide down the gravel road on my face. My bike ended up being written off, I ordered a brand new one a week after the accident. I still have that bike and installed deer warning devices which so far have served me flawlessly.

Name:  IMGP0568.JPG
Views: 226
Size:  279.8 KB

Good luck with the recovery, hope you can get back on the bike soon.
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 11-26-2018 at 10:53 PM.

Sadly, it looks like legal revenge season is over.

MIke

WOW! So glad you survived with only the injuries you did! I used to ride for many years, but luckily never hit any wildlife. Best of luck to a quick recovery and hoping getting back out there to ride some more. I know I miss it!

I am still amazed at the A Holes that exist today. Those are the types of things that make me really ponder what the Heck is going on in the country and the world as a whole right now. Maybe that is why I spend so much time here on FEP . . It restores my faith and belief in us as a whole.

Take Care
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Rich,

Glad your injuries are minor. My wife was an ER nurse for many years. One biker didn't do so well. Took a deer strike at speed. It tore his leg off. Needless to say, he didn't make it. I used to ride a long time ago, but don't consider starting again. With drivers that don't see you and drivers that do but don't care and critters that are the same, it just isn't worth it to me.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Very glad to hear it was not to bad. Wish you well on your recovery.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Glad you faired well considering what could have been! Stay strong and do the right things to let your body heal.

2x
    I slow down much more than most do in those areas with tree lines.
    They look like i am just old folk or impaired, cant see or have no driving skill anymore.
    Always did that, especially using fogs or brights at night to light up the roadside.
    Stupid deer. Although following instinct in their territory, most every animal is smarter when going after some tail.
    Are bucks that hard up? The dominant mentality to survive. Don' t they know there are plenty of females to go around?
    Amazing the doe exist without smarts to teach young they raise near hiways to stay out of harms way.
    So alert to scents and quick reacting, but still dull pencils.

You would think with all the useless tech in vehicles someone would figure out how to repel them. The optional super deer whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    2x

Stupid deer. Although following instinct in their territory, most every animal is smarter when going after some tail.
    Are bucks that hard up? The dominant mentality to survive. Don' t they know there are plenty of females to go around?
    Amazing the doe exist without smarts to teach young they raise near hiways to stay out of harms way.
    So alert to scents and quick reacting, but still dull pencils.
    They have evolved quite successfully over tens of thousands of years to be able to survive quite well against predators and natural conditions. Its just the last century or so that has been problematic with the arrival of motor vehicles in the equation that their instincts don't fare them (or us) so well. The other issue is the elimination of most of their prime predators from the environment and the easy to access man made food supply has led to a population boom in many areas.

True. It is interesting they survive in the city. Those have adapted. Humans too.
    The suburb/rural ones are having their territory cut by sprawl and may be slower to adapt.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    You would think with all the useless tech in vehicles someone would figure out how to repel them. The optional super deer whistle.
    Headlights.
    Believe-it-or not, flashing the headlights at wildlife will 'startle' them off the road. I've tried it a couple of times, and it really does work

Not unlike a car darting out in front of you. And can change direction in an instant.
    Pack of dogs, squirrel, skunk, any animal. Avoid if possible and do not veer out of lane.
    Many times looked in rear view mirror, relieved to see small animal still moving on its way after close call.

Did that once on the freeway approaching a know deer area.
    Worked nights. On way home, would see a carcass at least once a week there.
    Got the 'bright light on' flash from a car way over on the other side.
    Flashed the car back to signal i knew they were on and kept them on.
    Was a state trooper. "What were you trying to do, blind me?"
    Took ticket to court. Told my reason. No avail.
    Am more selective when i use them. Added clear fogs too. Plus in this LED era, no one really 'flashes' anymore.

Not a hunter, but know 'shining' is illegal. But why?
    https://www.scienceabc.com/nature/an...-in-place.html
    Last edited by gr79; 11-27-2018 at 06:18 PM.

I remeber going for a spirited ride on my dads Yamaha. I was really pushing it up and down a windy mountain road that I knew very well.

Afterwards, quite litterly the first red light on my way to hit a gas station, no front brakes. This wasn't long after I found out I was gonna be a dad, the whole drive home and most if the night, all I could think was what if.

I did ride my dads bike again, but for some reason after that I never wanted my own and it seemed to take a lot of the fun out of it.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Glad you're ok. Hitting a deer with a car is bad enough much less on a bike!
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

My daily driver '09 Escape is getting to be due for new tires. The ones on there now are a bit cupped and growl pretty good while rolling. I've noticed deer by the road tend to turn and run away. I've come close to hitting some deer but fortunately they've run away from me rather than crossing in front of me.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Well, in hindsight I think I got my speed down to 20 or under. I just did not slide far at all and even my gear was hole free. And, it looks like the bike will be repaired.

The MC has been my daily transportation for most of the last 20+ years. I hit a deer with my Goldwing back in '05 and didn't go down- killed the deer which was a forked horn buck.

This bike is about 300 pounds lighter but has awesome brakes. Those helped a LOT! The deer hit the left side of the road at a run, head down. Imagine how long it takes it to cross a two-lane rural road -- that is how much time/distance I had. The deer hit my fairing right in front of the handlebar, took the front end out from under and down I went.

If anyone is curious- I put over 135,000 miles on that Goldwing in 12 years (it got rear-ended two years ago, hence this blue bike) and have put over 20,000 on this one to date in two years. Had three other Goldwings and a bunch of other ones over the years.

Thanks for all the good thoughts, folks!!

Deer are so stupid. One ran into the side of my 86GT in 2010. Mark on the fender, chin dent on the roof along with trashing the dr door glass, dent in rear 1/4 when it spun him.

had I been in a convertible like my Sebring I drove daily at the time it probably would have killed me.

Glad to hear you are going to be ok.

The people trying to strip stuff make you want to see the “oh — your just in time for your butt whooping” type things to play out. People who do that crap deserve something other than a reward from doing it, that’s for sure.

Wonder how auto driving cars will handle deer and the like?

Lucky did not get speared by big buck rack horns.

Lots of semis have those 'roo front bumper guards.
    Old trains had cow catchers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast