Close

Default Valve cover torque spec and sequence.

Hey guys, what should I torque my valve covers to and what sequence should I do? I've read anywhere from 5-15ft lbs lol. Lmr says 12-15 ft lbs.

Thanks
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Cork gaskets, rubber / silicone gaskets / bead of silicone? They are all different. I like cork and tighten them to 8 ft/lbs (96 inch/lbs). The biggest thing with cork it to retighten a few times (original + 1 or 2). If you tighten them too tight you cut the cork and get leaks.

Also if you use cork, contact cement the gasket to the rocker cover then install dry. Use no sealer/etc on the head side. Done right you can remove and install a few times before changing the gasket.

Kenny

Thanks for the info, I'm using the valve gaskets from a fel-pro gasket kit and they are cork. I'm installing the proform ford racing covers and it came with studs. So I'm assuming I install studs then put gasket over them valve cover with no rtv or anything. Torque to 8ft/lbs?
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I would still contact cement the gaskets to the covers, then between the covers and the head, no sealer.

Torque in a couple of steps, hand snug, tighter, then torque wrench. Center bolts, then one end low, other high, then other high, then low:

looking at a rocker cover:

5 1 4
    3 2 6

It is easy. The contact cement works as a sealer, but also keeps the gasket from shifting upon install.

Good Luck

Make sense?

I think so, should I be putting just a couple dabs around the cover to stick the gasket on or does it need to be a bead around the whole thing? Same for head side? First time doing any engine work and have not learnt the tricks yet so bare with the simpleton questions lol
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Using Cork? You are begging for leaks. Throw those out and buy ford metal gaskets. They do not leak and can be reused.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

Quote Originally Posted by Lowetlx View Post
    Using Cork? You are begging for leaks. Throw those out and buy ford metal gaskets. They do not leak and can be reused.
    They are whatever came in the fel-Pro Engine Gasket Kit SFLKS2326. Not sure if the are full cork or the cork/rubber ones they have. Look like cork to me.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Save yourself the headache and get the rubber/metal ones. Forgiving on the torque spec and reusable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

I would disagree. I have used cork for years, installed right, it is re-useable and seals well (you just clean the mating surface). Too many people overtighten them, use silicone (blech) to "glue" it, other weird fixes that never work or cut the gasket. Not saying the rubber/metal don't work well, but so do the cork ones.

To answer the question, you glue the gasket completely to the rocker cover. I use wilwood contact cement and an acid brush. Brush a thin coat on the rocker cover mating surface and another thin coat on one side of the gasket. Once the cement is dry, you can put the gasket on the cover and it will stick hard. Start at a bolt hole and support the rest of the gasket, then work your way around pressing the gasket into place. Once attached you can install the cover immediately.

Now here is another gasket trick: If you think you are going to remove the covers occasionally (usually a racer thing to do), once the gasket is glued to the cover, get some chapstik and rub it on the exposed gasket. That will keep it from sticking to the head so it becomes "re-useable.

I also coat Holley gaskets with chapstik. They come off easier and still seal just fine.